Thing related question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
I really did not know where to post this but it is SRB2 related.
How comes the spike object in SRB2 stays stationary on a moving FOF?
I noticed this years ago but I've decided to ask this now, the hazard thing "spike" doesn't move when a FOF goes up or down, instead it stays in the same place.

It's not affected by gravity. If you want to put spikes on an FOF, you have to use sector-based spikes.

If I'm not wrong, a plane can push a spike but can't pull them back. Spikes aren't gravity-affected objects. If you apply gravity on them, the plane moves faster than them which gives you a weird effect: the spikes keep bouncing on the plane as it moves.

The solution would be to make the spike to follow the plane as it moves.

.... use this SOC:

Code:
# S_CeilingSpike - ZThrust pushes spike up each tic so that it follows rising ceilings (thanks Prime 2.0)
FRAME 621
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 621
ACTION A_ZThrust
VAR1 = 50
VAR2 = 0
.... at least it'll work with ceiling spikes.

EDIT:

If you want to sample: open ArchPack topic, download ArchPack-parts.zip, you'll find a Spikes_and_crushers.wad within testing folder.

Last edited:
This is a known bug, and it's already fixed in 2.1. IIRC there's a SOC you can use as a bugfix for it in 2.0.6, but it's kinda quirky.

It's not affected by gravity. If you want to put spikes on an FOF, you have to use sector-based spikes.
I read that on wiki and I don't mind using this method but I would like to avoid any lag in case I end up making many sectors with those spikes that aren't merged or something.

If I'm not wrong, a plane can push a spike but can't pull them back. Spikes aren't gravity-affected objects. If you apply gravity on them, the plane moves faster than them which gives you a weird effect: the spikes keep bouncing on the plane as it moves.

The solution would be to make the spike to follow the plane as it moves.

.... use this SOC:

Code:
# S_CeilingSpike - ZThrust pushes spike up each tic so that it follows rising ceilings (thanks Prime 2.0)
FRAME 621
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 621
ACTION A_ZThrust
VAR1 = 50
VAR2 = 0
.... at least it'll work with ceiling spikes.

EDIT:

If you want to sample: open ArchPack topic, download ArchPack-parts.zip, you'll find a Spikes_and_crushers.wad within testing folder.
1) I think I can make it work with floor spikes if I make it go in the opposite direction (downwards) but it would override the soc that Prime 2.0 made.
2) I downloaded your ArchPack parts file yesterday so I'll look into it.

This is a known bug, and it's already fixed in 2.1. IIRC there's a SOC you can use as a bugfix for it in 2.0.6, but it's kinda quirky.
I'm glad to here it's fixed for 2.1.

EDIT:
@Ezer'Arch: I saw the soc and the level, it didn't look that quirky in my opinion.

Last edited:
1) I think I can make it work with floor spikes if I make it go in the opposite direction (downwards) but it would override the soc that Prime 2.0 made.
Upsidedown spikes and floorspikes are separate mobjs in 2.0.6, and even use separate states. Changing one will not affect the other. That said, the following should give you spikes that obey gravity well enough:
Code:
# MT_FLOORSPIKE - now with more falling
thing 73
FLAGS = 41943056
# [Flags: NOBLOCKMAP; MF_NOCLIPHEIGHT; MF_SCENERY]
Though, this will make any intangible spike objects, like those used in vanilla SRB2's stages just drop into the floor, so...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back