State of the SRB2 Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

In my opinion, the SRB2 Wiki is a nightmare.

Well, at least STARS was renamed to the SRB2 Wiki. That was a start. Though, looking at the articles, there are some very serious flaws. (Do note that as the articles linked here are fixed, I'll replace the links with the old revisions I intended to reference to.)

First off, the formatting from page to page is all too inconsistent. This page looks too different from this page, which also looks too different from this other page. This inconsistency in formatting makes the wiki harder to read as a whole. This is a sign of a lack of structure. There are currently no guidelines to regulate page layout, when there absolutely should be.

Also as a result of lack of guidelines, there are some pages where the presentation is just bad. This page is a good example of good presentation. The information is presented fluidly and understandably, due to good pacing and grammar.
This page is an example of bad presentation. This also suffers from bad English. The "sentences" in this article are too technical. How am I supposed to know what "lower linedef, 1; texture: eggtrap1 above linedef, 2; texture: eggtrap1" means?! This snippet of information is not even presented in a complete sentence.
This page is badly presented because the bullets in that page are not of the norm. Rather than actual bullets, they are dashes. This makes the information look awkward.
This page is badly presented because it doesn't use sections. I like to see headings, with the information broken up.
This page is badly presented because the English is just awkward. The information here is not presented in a coherent sentence. This, therefore, makes it hard to understand.

I also noticed that some of the people who edit this wiki obviously do not know how to use Wiki markup. This page could've used bigger headings, consistent with other good pages in the wiki. This page could've used actual bullets. I bet this guy didn't even know how to make headers.

Moreover, there are a lot of holes in the information that the wiki is established to cover. For example, there are information pages on Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman, but there isn't one on Tails. There's an article on Special Stages, but there aren't any established articles on Greenflower Zone, Techno Hill Zone, or the multiplayer stages. Sure, there's information on each on the SRB2 article, but if the Special Stage has its own article, then the other levels deserve to have their own articles as well! Oh, and don't get me started about Thing Type/Linedef Type/Sector Type pages. Because each type has their own page, it looks as if there's too much information to cover. Therefore, it's not being done!

Speaking of the Thing Type/Linedef Type/Sector Type pages, I find that the wiki as a whole is poorly organized. Why do Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman have their own individual pages? I find a single "Characters" page to be more appropriate. I think that having all the Thing Types under one page, for example, would be more appropriate. That would make each Thing type easier to access, since it's all in one page. You wouldn't have to click a link, go back, click another link, and go back!

Also, the wiki lacks accessibility. Look at the main page. Only a few pages are linked out of the many more that are as significant. There is no Table of Contents.

Oh, did I mention that the information is also outdated?! The front page still calls the wiki "STARS". Look at the SA City article, which refers to SA City as "now being recreated in SRB2JTE", when the latest version of SRB2JTE is already released. This is a sign of lack of commitment from the community as a whole to this wiki. In fact, the wiki is more or less a ghost town at times. Not a lot of people edit it, you know.

So what do we do about all this?

First off, add structure to the wiki. That is, establish some rules and guidelines to editing pages, since there obviously are none if all the pages are inconsistent to each other. These guidelines should include use of headers and use of good English. Also write up a page on good Wiki markup, or use Wikipedia's article as a guide and link to there.

Second off, start adding information within these rules and guidelines. There are some holes in the wiki that desperately need to be filled. There are also pages which could very easily be considered "stubs" in the world of Wikipedia. Let's fix those up too.

Third off, reinvigorate interest within the community. Obviously a lot of the community doesn't really care about the wiki, other than with the Emerald Token and Emblem guides on there. This also goes with adding structure to the wiki. If we assign committed moderators to overlook the wiki, then perhaps the information presented within the wiki could be whipped up into shape by a moderator if someone doesn't post within the guidelines, for example. Assign more moderators to the wiki, since Spazz and Hotdog are not around all the time. And they're certainly not committed enough to overlook what exactly goes on the wiki.

This brings up another point, actually. Is the SRB2 Wiki worth it to fix? Would people actually be interested to see anything more than an Emerald Token and Emblem guide? Do people actually care? Because if they don't, then what's the point of fixing up the wiki? Maybe we should just forget about it?

And finally, some minds think that the wiki in its current state is not worth going to. What new content would make the wiki worth going to?

For starters, I made a Table of Contents page to make the wiki more accessible. I can start changing up the flaws in the individual pages I brought up in this post as well.

Or, as I said, maybe we should just forget about it if the community doesn't care.

Thoughts?

Meh, I sometimes use STARS/SRB2 wiki for incase I forget some stuff. Like abilities or frames from a character. Or certain tune numbers. That kinda stuff. I do have to say that as a wadding starter, I never really learned much stuff from SRB2 wiki. Most of the wadding skills just advanced by experimenting with wads.

I find it funny how people always have the will power to complain about the inexistance of editing tutorials and such information but never to actually write an article about it. If you don't write an article on a topic you're knowledgeable about, topic which someone somewhere may have a problem with, why would that same person write you an article on the thing you're stuck on?

Editing a wiki has to be something everyone is involved in, everybody should at least try to compile a decent amount of information about a particular subject and release it. Even if the quality isn't that good, hey, at least you did something, right? And then, somebody else could take that and add more information!

This is how we build up knowledge. We tell eachother what we already know and learn all sorts of new stuff in return. However, if you don't speak up, how can you be expecting an answer?

That being said, though, anyone who edits the wiki needs to have a high standard of quality. I mean, after all, this is something people are going to read and hopefully learn something! We can't leave them with a bad impression, now can we?

To this I point you to Digiku's analysis above. There's not much more I could say myself. Keep the quality of the information and the method to transform it into words in mind, and god, type something :E

Digiku, I couldn't agree more.
My only concern is that the only people who virtually know about SRB2 Wiki are those who actually click the single topic on this forsaken message board.

While i'm not suggesting you plaster it all over srb2.org, a link or 2 to the SRB2 Wiki would be appropiate.

Also, theres a new problem that seems to of risen with the SRB2 Wiki - vandalizers. At the moment, there are only two bureaucrats/superadmins on the wiki: Hotdog003, and myself. Both of us agree that we can't always be around to check every page of the site for sign of vandalism. I think it's time we added some moderators, no?

Therefore, I now state that we require some mods. Not sure if you're fit for the job? Check over this list before requesting moderation status.

If you want to become a moderator on the SRB2 Wiki, the following are required:
  • An account on SRB2 Wiki
  • Long-time membership on these forums (At least a year)
  • No past tempbans
  • Already done noticable work on SRB2 Wiki
  • Trusted by Hotdog003 and myself
Also, if I may add, Digiku, you fit into this category quite nicely, and this topic just sealed the deal. Would you like to join the team? :D

Would this be a good time to mention that the Wikipedia article on SRB2 failed another AfD, or is that a little too non sequitur?

Anyway, I agree totally. To be blunt, formatting rules should be more or less exactly what they are on Wikipedia, which is generally fairly standardized... it'd be a good start.

I've started work on the SRB2 Wiki (and I'm also considering Spazz's proposal.)

Currently, I'm working on the Things pages, and I'd really like some help. I'm fitting all the Things pages with images and info tables. The info tables contain SOC information, which can be accessed by the SOC Editor. If people could help me out with documenting some of the Things, that would be much appreciated!

It's easy to help! Just go here:
http://digiku.freepgs.com/srb2wiki_thingspage.html
Fill out the form with the appropriate values. The form will generate the page source used for the Thing page. Just copy and paste that source into the page's Edit box.

If you'd like some examples on Things pages that I've done, I've done all of the Enemy pages already. A menu of the Enemies pages can be found here:
http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=Template:Things_Enemies

The list of Things, in categories, are here:
http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=Things_List_by_Category

Again, if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Spazzo said:
[*] An account on SRB2 Wiki
[*] Long-time membership on these forums (At least a year)
[*] No past tempbans
[*] Already done noticable work on SRB2 Wiki
[*] Trusted by Hotdog003 and myself

1. I think I've got one. *checks* - Yeah, on there, as Callum.
2. I've been on this place for almost a year. I hope that counts.
3. Nope.
4. Uhh...I put that cutscene tutorial on I think, but otherwise, not sure. - Yes, the link is here: http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=Cutscenes
5. Am I?

Could you make a different skin for SRB2 Wiki? Maybe somthing similar to the forum's skin. I think that SRB2 Wiki looks quite ugly, and, er, un-SRB2ish.

As of now, only two people staff the Wiki, and, sad to say, both are slated for a "trial" of sorts. So, no, it's not likely to happen.

Also would you be able to explain FOF's more and how to make different types and such. Me being a n00b (Of course) I can't understand it and would like to be able to make better maps.

Dark Warrior said:
As of now, only two people staff the Wiki, and, sad to say, both are slated for a "trial" of sorts. So, no, it's not likely to happen.

Untrue.
Digiku has been made a sysop and a bureaucrat, capable of many new abilities. He has done the most excellent of work on the wiki. If I were you, start bowing down this instant.

"trial"? That's really not the best word to describe it...

Spazzo said:
  • No past tempbans

1. Yes, I have one, It's Jeritsune.
2. I joined in 2004
3. No.
4. I edit my user page sometimes.
5. I trust Spazzo and Hotdog.

Spazzo said:
Dark Warrior said:

Untrue.
Digiku has been made a sysop and a bureaucrat, capable of many new abilities. He has done the most excellent of work on the wiki. If I were you, start bowing down this instant.

"trial"? That's really not the best word to describe it...

Of course, but check the date of my post. At that period in time, to the best of my knowledge, Digiku was NOT a Sysop. And hey, Trial was the only word that best fit. =P

I'm still wondering if it would be okay to port the lindef and sector descriptions from the official SRB2 specials list.

mikel93 said:
Spazzo said:
  • No past tempbans

1. Yes, I have one, It's Jeritsune.
2. I joined in 2004
3. No.
4. I edit my user page sometimes.
5. I trust Spazzo and Hotdog.

5. YOU not trusting them, THEY trusting you.

mariosonic said:
Also would you be able to explain FOF's more and how to make different types and such. Me being a n00b (Of course) I can't understand it and would like to be able to make better maps.
http://srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=Linedef_Type_25
Does this help?

furyhunter600 said:
I'm still wondering if it would be okay to port the lindef and sector descriptions from the official SRB2 specials list.
Go ahead, be my guest! Do note, however, that I'll be working on all the linedef and sector pages and changing them up from the simple descriptions on the specials list. The link I just provided above is a good example of what I'll do.

So long as you're active on the Wiki, Digi, how far off is a NiGHTS mode tutorial?

I could do a major revamp of the SRB2JTE page easly if I got all of a sudden motivated, but I am so busy that I am barely able to make news posts on my own sites to tell the world of my excuses for not having a news post in so long....
I'll get around to it one of these days since JTE ain't gonna update crap while working on NetNavi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back