Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
ib1rGMswJ58Af4.jpg

Why are Sonic's arms blue?
Why are Sonic's arms blue?

Okay, people complain about green eyes, but Blue Arms? That's just outright wrong.

And this is supposed to bring about a "renaissance" for the franchise. 2014 is supposed to be The Year of Sonic, according to the flier for this event.

I don't even know what to say to that! I don't even!

EDIT: here's the rest:

0HNIiIn.jpg

I like Amy, but they didn't change her arm color. Even with their inconsistency, they're inconsistent.

Last edited:
They all look like they're wearing bandages on their arms and shoes and that is really bugging me since I can't figure out what they're supposed to be.

Blue arms isn't that bad guys, Sonic was one of the few main characters left with skin-colored arms anyway. The other is Amy, I think.

I'm actually more concerned about Knuckles in general if anything: everything except his head has basically grown in size, and I can't help feeling his IQ will have dropped at the same time.

This is the third Nintendo-exclusive game, by the way. Oddly, it's not being developed by Sonic Team; the Wii U game is being developed by Big Red Button Entertainment, made of ex-Naughty Dog staff, and the 3DS version is being developed by Sanzaru, who worked on Sly: Thieves in Time. So, y'know, they've made good games. Maybe not excellent games, but good ones. (Of course, Bioware had made good games too.)

That said, here's the trailer. And, well...

pAIHGba.png

Good god, that trailer... they managed to make Sonic look worse than he did in the teaser pictures. His face doesn't even looks like he's Sonic anymore, but my biggest concern is that thing between his legs. Why is that even there? It looks like he's wearing a blue speedo or something.

The wraps in their shoes and arms too, what's up with that? Are they hobos, or mummies, or something like that?

Last edited:
I believe that's his tail. Or trying to be. And failing really badly.
EDIT: Oh, his weird nocrotch. Yeah, I don't get it either. Looks so bizarrely prominent.

Funny how Tails and Amy came out just fine, Knuckles changed but I'm not too iffy with, but Sonic is the one that looks the most bizarre.

Last edited:
I seriously hope this is just an alt universe and not part of the main series. From the gameplay and pictures, it looks like this is gonna be the game that puts Sonic in a rut (again). Also why do I feel Crash: Mind Over Mutant vibes from this game.

However, the trailer for the show did make me laugh and my favorite part was the dialog between Sonic and Eggman. I do like the show so far but I do not like the game.

[3:54:52 PM] Turbo: Are you ready to accept Buffkles as our mighty overlord?
[3:55:01 PM] Larztard: No
[3:55:21 PM] Larztard: I'm looking forward to seeing NBA All-Star Sonic the Hedgehog.

Last edited:
I actually like how the worlds in the trailer look like. They give me a sort of Ratchet and Clank like vibe, for example the one where Sonic is seen hanging on a rail and where Knuckles is climbing on the ceiling.

I honestly hope that this game won't suck too badly.

Sonic's arms are slightly bothering me

I'm not even questioning it from a design quality perspective, but just... why even change the color at all

then again, I suppose I'm kind of ignoring the big elephant in the room. Or should I say, holy FUCK knuckles has been working out

They all look like they're wearing bandages on their arms and shoes and that is really bugging me since I can't figure out what they're supposed to be.
I can explain the arm bandages. When doing parkour it's quite common for people to wear bandages on their wrists to help protect themselves from injury themselves while free running. I haven't heard of bandages on the ankles before, but I imagine it's done in some places.

Have a trailer for the TV show

But yes, my thoughts on Sonic Boom as a whole. I'm not particularly interested in the game right now, largely because the gameplay doesn't show much about the game itself other than it is a 3D platformer, which is what everyone expects from a Sonic game anyway. I'm not a fan of the music though, I do hope that choice of music was just for the trailer.

I did get a hearty chuckle out of the TV show trailer though. It reminds me a fair bit of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, so that's a good point in my book.

Personally I like some aspects of the redesigns, the clothes are a welcome addition for me. Especially Tails' mechanic/pilot get up. Although I feel like the models used for the game trailer make the characters look like they are also made of clay.

Also an unexpected and interesting little fact: turns out that Sonic Boom footage was first shown last year. There's footage of the locations shown in the recent trailer in this CryEngine 3 showcase footage.

Better than I initially expected. Sonic Boom caught my interest and made a good first impression on me so far. The game far exceeded my expectations, it looks pretty amazing so far.

I think the redesigns are fair. What I thought could have been done better is Knuckles' head compared to the rest his body, which to me looks a bit awkward. Other than that I do not mind the redesigns.

I'm laughing really hard right now.
Also, I don't have a source, but SEGA seems to want to abandon the Sonic of the "Sonic Adventure" era, as it "[won't take them anywhere]." Seems this is a proper reboot after all.

These designs are hilariously awkward, especially Knuckles. How does that body even work? When Tails is the most normal looking of the bunch, you know there's a clear problem at work here.

Also, calling it now: I give it a week before some kid comes onto the SRB2 forums announcing his project to make a WAD of this...

I'm laughing really hard right now.
Also, I don't have a source, but SEGA seems to want to abandon the Sonic of the "Sonic Adventure" era, as it "[won't take them anywhere]." Seems this is a proper reboot after all.

tumblr_n0lukntnVv1rlrnwdo1_400.png

...And if you bothered to look around at all, you'll find other sources saying the same thing.

I know this is just a nitpick, but why the hell is Bangarang playing in the game trailer.

I mean, I know, SEGA or whoever is trying to be all hip and cool with the teens, but Bangarang? Seriously?

Whatever, I might as well just give my thoughts on stuff other than the hilarious character design choices and trailer music:

I like the look of literally everything other than the main characters. They really nailed the whole "lost island" feel. As far as gameplay, there doesn't seem to be anything too off or drastic about it, so that's good.

The graphics look pretty nice. The models.... eh.. it'll take time to get used to. Knuckles and Storm the Albatross settled their differences and performed a DBZ fusion.

I like it a lot. I'm curious to see what the other characters will look like aside from the main 4. A lot of people are bothered by design changes, but I'm taking my nostalgia goggles off and looking at this as a different series, pretty much. Hell, it's not even being developed by Sonic Team, nor will it even be in Japan.

Well earlier today, I opened up my old md2 called "modernlyheroic.md2", which is a modern sonic recolor of the Sonic heroes model, and I decided to make a quick 2 minute edit of it to look like the sonic boom look, and I would not mind his new look if looked a bit like this:

And here is an edit of the "Walls of the Void" md2 model to look like sonic boom:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back