• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

How do I make doors close? (WadAuthor based question.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2-Playah

Ne'er-Do-Anythin'
I've already read a441's SRB2 Effects guide. There's supposed to be a sector type effect called '711 - Close Door Blazing (743)' that's supposed to close a door really fast. But, it doesen't exist! I've tried editing the sectors raw data, setting it's type to the 711. It just sets it to normal. (Although my charecter dies instantly when he touches the sector.)
So... Does anyone know how to make doors close?

Here's how it works:

You move into a sector that has special type 711.

SRB2 searches for sectors that have the tag 743.

If it finds any, it makes their ceilings lower down to their floors really quickly.

Look at Techno Hill 2 (MAP05 in srb2.srb) for an example. It's used after the Deton rooms with bottomless pits.

I'd suggest using linedef executors instead, since they are more powerful than type 711, and can accomplish the same effect (type 711 is obsolete, and will eventually be removed). But I haven't written a guide yet, and linedef executors can be kind of hard to figure out based on the reference list... so I need to get to work on that guide!

a441 said:
If it finds any, it makes their floors rise up to their ceilings really quickly.

Look at Techno Hill 2 (MAP05 in srb2.srb) for an example. It's used after the Deton rooms with bottomless pits.

No... it makes the ceiling fall to the floor...

Well, then... How do I close doors with linedef executors?

Shadow hog: I don't get what you're saying. How am I supposed to use a tag that works with a non-existant sector type? :roll:

SSNTails said:
No... it makes the ceiling fall to the floor...
I knew it was one of those. Fixed.

SRB2-Playah, you wait 'til I write the guide for that. By the way, did you get my e-mail?

Shadow hog: I don't get what you're saying. How am I supposed to use a tag that works with a non-existant sector type?
How do you know it's non-existant if you just use it incorrectly, causing it to work improperly?

Besides, a441 just spelled it out for you. It's not nonexistant, and if it is, your SRB2WIN.EXE is bogus.

I think you mean my SRB2 WadAuthor Config file is bogus. Since it's where it gets its sector type info.
Anyway, I've just done a test. I've got the part of the roof that's supposed to come down when the Close Door Blazing is activated. (We'll call it the target sector.) And a sector, which I'll call the activation sector. CDB does not exist on the sector's type list, so I'll set it to 711, which is the number of CDB. I look at the properties, and it seems to be set to normal. I've set the target sector's tag to 743, so, now we test it.
I step on the activation sector, and... The target sector's... cieling... lowers to the floor... perfectly.
I wonder why I didn't try that earlier. :roll:
Well, thanks Shadow Hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back