Gravity-defying ring loss in 2D mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sizzle

l3E6IgvkcYaMH4wqA.gif

I'm not sure if this is exclusive to SRB1 mode or if it appears elsewhere.

Losing rings in 2D mode is pretty finicky, on that note. I don't think rings ever flew this high in the classic Sonic games:

l3E6LLZxQLHxANtfi.gif

I'm pretty sure that's just the normal SRB2 ring loss mechanic. It's designed so your rings get thrown further with each consecutive hit, as a way of preventing you from cheaping through an area by just letting yourself get hurt and grabbing one of your dropped rings. In old game, the rings would sometimes go through walls or fall through floors, but that doesn't happen in SRB2, so there needed to be a different mechanic.

The issue itself might be to do with how flung ring movement works ...if you look carefully, one of the rings that gets stuck was originally going directly upwards, and the other stuck ring simply got flung into a corner.

[...] In old [Sonic] games, the rings would sometimes go through walls or fall through floors [..]

Somewhat tangential to the bug report, but is this possible with SRB2's 2D mode? Take a subset of the fallen rings (after a certain amount of hits) and have them fly ever-so-slightly into the foreground, out of reach from a grab. Alternatively, render the spilt rings above everything else and simply make a handful of them intangible to the player, exactly like old Sonic games. It might be cool to see that kind of classic behavior within the context of 2D mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back