This might help make newbs read the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shu

I saw something like this on a site one time:
On the page on the main site that has the rules and the link to the forums, put a line some where around the middle of the rules that say something like "...and if you where actually reading these rules, you would click here." And make the word here link to the forums. Then make the "Click here to continue on to the forums.", or what ever at the bottom of the page link to something completely irrelevant.

(Not sure what section this should be in, so I posted it here.

Oh, you mean like they have steps to read and you'll know who didn't or did actually read the rules by the way they answered.That's not a bad idea!

Or...

Make this one of those sign-up to see the foum's type forum. And we ban by account,(you can have an email to send a letter to let you actvate your account)so, one account per email, and no ban evasion.

should this go in forum rules? i am not sure.

What he means is that the acual link to the forums is in the middle of the rules

And the usally normal "Click here to go to the forums" link would go to some random site

I think that idiots are idiots whether or not they read the rules, and they tend to ignore them until they get in trouble.

Dark Warrior has it. The reality is that n00bs aren't going to read the rules until they get banned for breaking them, and even then, sometimes they STILL don't.

Mystic said:
and even then, sometimes they STILL don't.

Which is a good thing really, anyone that doesn't read the rules and pay attention to them at first we quite honestly don't want on here.

I third the Dark Warrior statement :o

I'd just like to bring my first post on a forum into this disscussion:

I got to this forum through Google, so the thread I posted on bumped it, semi obviously. I can't remember whether it was closer to months or a year, but it was a fairly large bump.

Also, because I got to the forum through Google, I completely missed the rules. Ouch.

Third, the post was rather idiotic. Caps abounded, many exclimation marks, although I don't think I used any smilies.

Afterwards, some oldbie-ish person linked to the rukes saying it's obvious I never read them. I did, saw rule violations in my post, and posted again on the thread in question. Turned out, the thread got locked before the problem got solved, but oh well.

I think that it would help if we constantly linked to the FAQ/Rules/Wiki, because at that point in time, I couldn't navigate the site. The only reason I could find the thread was because I bookmarked it, thus even lessening the chance of me stumbling onto any way shape or form of rules.

Demo .pll anybody?

The left column of the message body, where the emoticons are, can probably hold an entire hypothesized copy of the ruleset we have. Like:

Rule Reminders:

Keep content PG-13, use good grammar, don't spam, don't flame others, don't ask for netgames, don't post non-existent projects or request they be made, don't ask for lock, don't bump without reason, and use constructive criticism.

---

And then a link to the full ruleset.

Perhaps we could also have a confirmation screen for when someone tries to bump a topic that's older than three weeks.

josh the hedgehog said:
Well If your going to take the smilies away this (might) be my last smily. Bye smilies. :cry:

I don't really see they problem with that. This board has a very basic smiley library anyway. Besides, you can just use old school smiles. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back