• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SLADE general awareness topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used SLADE for the sprites in my Single Player contest entry, and they all show up fine. Did you set "Transparent Color" and not "Existing w/Threshold" in the conversion menu? Transparency only works right if you choose "Transparent Color" and set it to the cyan (which should be the default).

Nono, you don't understand; I wasn't saying that I was having trouble with it, I was pointing out that Slade lets you use any color for transparency, or none at all.

Hey, how do I create the TEXTUREx lump in SLADE?

Every time I try to create it, either it creates an Unknown or Marker entry.

Last edited:
Hey, how do I create the TEXTUREx lump in SLADE?

Every time I try to create it, either it creates an Unknown or Marker entry.
Try to open the texture editor or add something to TEXTUREx with no TEXTUREx lump in the WAD and it will give you a prompt to create one. Choose yes, keep it in Doom format and select Import from Base Resource Archive. That will give you TEXTURE1 and PNAMES.

To create a TEXTURE2 (blank) one, choosing Create New instead of Import from Base Resource seems like it would work, but I haven't gotten it to do anything but crash SLADE. I guess you could always highlight everything in TEXTURE1, delete them, then rename the lump.

Of course, SLADE's texture editor is really unstable and especially loves to crash when deleting stuff, so that might not work either. :P

Last edited:
Try to open the texture editor or add something to TEXTUREx with no TEXTUREx lump in the WAD and it will give you a prompt to create one. Choose yes, keep it in Doom format and select Import from Base Resource Archive. That will give you TEXTURE1 and PNAMES.
I got TEXTURE1 and PNAMES in the wad. Then I renamed TEXTURE1 to TEXTURE2 and deleted all stuff in there. I created a new texture in TEXTURE2, I chose a patch, give it a name, I click on Save Changes...

... I close the texture editor, and then, I re-open the texture editor to see... it saved nothing! TEXTURE2 is empty.

Interestingly, if I try to create a texture in an existing wad that already has TEXTURE2 and PNAMES, SLADE saves the texture I create.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I close the texture editor, and then, I re-open the texture editor to see... it saved nothing! TEXTURE2 is empty.

Any ideas?
I tried this myself with the same steps you described, and I had the exact same problem. I tried all kinds of things but couldn't find a way to make it save changes.

The only thing I can think of that might work is creating the custom texture first, then deleting the normal textures, and see if you can save then.

EDIT: I just tried the above and it works! :D You just have to make sure the TEXTUREx lump has at least one texture in it at all times, if it's empty then it stops saving.

Last edited:
@ MD2 and OpenGL lovers: I've just discovered a thing while MB had been down.

HZNir.png

This makes me think that SLADE will (if not already has some) have support for MD2 models. :D

http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/Supported_data_formats#Models
http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/Planned_features#Low_Priority_2

I didn't know that a wad file could "store" MD2 objects in some way. Interestingly, SRB2 can load such a kind of wad, but, obviously, can't "read" MD2 models from a wad to render them in the game, still. :<

Last edited:
...A WAD file is just a bunch of data files attached to eachother. Of course you can have an MD2 model in a wad file, just as well as you can have an MS3D model hidden within a JPEG image of Jackle. This does not have any bearing on whether the game can do anything with it, though.

256plustransparency.png

'sup guys?

SLADE can import PNGs with transparency into a wad, and convert them into the DooM graphic format. The transparency is retained in this process, and by doing this you can have sprites use every single color in the palette, including cyan, while still having transparency.

Sorry for the bump, but

No, not sorry for the bump, there's a good reason to do so. SLADE 3.0.2 Beta 1 has been released (a week ago). Still no map editor, although SlayeR (who apparently goes by the name sirjuddington now, but whatever) promises to get to work on it after 3.0.2 is done. Changelog, copypasted from here:

• Texture editor now supports ZDoom's enhanced TEXTURES format
  • New 'Graphic' menu for gfx entries, with some basic gfx editing functions
  • Typing the first few characters of an item to jump to it in lists has been re-implemented
  • Added the ability to open entries in separate tabs
  • Dumped Audiere as the sound/midi library in windows, and swapped to SFML-audio. Upsides are much better/faster audio support and audio support in linux (and mac). Downsides are no mp3 or module format support (though I'll look into adding these back at a later date)
  • Fluidsynth is now used to preview MIDI in both windows and linux
  • Many other bugfixes and small improvements
And, for the final release of 3.0.2:
Before 3.0.2 final I still want to finish off some stuff with the TEXTURES editor, namely allowing textures to be used as patches, offsets previewing and copy+paste for textures. Hopefully proper lzma/bz2 compression support for zips will be done before then too.
I was never quite sure what
SRB2 Wiki said:
SLADE doesn't automatically change image offsets like XWE. Offsets are needed so images display in the correct position.
was supposed to mean, but it might be fixed. Somebody please explain
icon12.gif

Oh, and for some reason MIDI playback now requires a soundfont file to be specified, but there is none in the download package. I hope that's a bug.

I am currently using SLADE for all my editing and have already realized what a powerful tool it is. So I agree with you, SLADE is very useful.

And, for the final release of 3.0.2:
I was never quite sure what
SRB2 Wiki said:
SLADE doesn't automatically change image offsets like XWE. Offsets are needed so images display in the correct position.
was supposed to mean, but it might be fixed. Somebody please explain
icon12.gif

I know in SLumpEd's case, it did not modify the offsets of character sprites when you import them. Whenever you had a character sprite, you needed to change the offsets manually, so they look correct in the game. You didn't need to do this for XWE.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I just requested the XWE automatic alignment feature for SLADE.

(I hope this can merge posts, because I still can't fix my editing posts problem)

I know in SLumpEd's case, it did not modify the offsets of character sprites when you import them. Whenever you had a character sprite, you needed to change the offsets manually, so they look correct in the game. You didn't need to do this for XWE.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I just requested the XWE automatic alignment feature for SLADE.

(I hope this can merge posts, because I still can't fix my editing posts problem)

Slade already has an auto-align feature, though! Right click on a sprite in the lump list, and then go to GFX-> Modify Gfx Offsets.

modifyoffsets.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back