Is Srb2 compatible with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do yourself a favor, and see if you can get Microsoft to give you an upgrade disc so you can switch back to XP.

Dark Warrior said:
Do yourself a favor, and see if you can get Microsoft to give you an upgrade disc so you can switch back to XP.
Agreed, I had windows XP and everything run fast etc... and now I have vista everything runs laggy (Even srb2) which never use to lag when I played it on XP. the only real reason I switched to vista is because of the direct x 10

Silent_Snipe said:
Dark Warrior said:
Agreed, I had windows XP and everything run fast etc... and now I have vista everything runs laggy (Even srb2) which never use to lag when I played it on XP. the only real reason I switched to vista is because of the direct x 10

That means your PC can't take Vista, try upgrading, because if your PC had XP on it, that means it was built for XP, not Vista.

Cue said:
Silent_Snipe said:
Dark Warrior said:

That means your PC can't take Vista, try upgrading, because if your PC had XP on it, that means it was built for XP, not Vista.
It takes vista perfectly fine (seeming when i bought it brand new vista was already installed) I'm just saying XP runs so smoothly compared to vista and everything crashes on it due to compatibility issue's. They even now have to bring out games with a label saying vista compatible >_>

Silent_Snipe said:
Cue said:
Silent_Snipe said:
Dark Warrior said:

It takes vista perfectly fine (seeming when i bought it brand new vista was already installed) I'm just saying XP runs so smoothly compared to vista and everything crashes on it due to compatibility issue's. They even now have to bring out games with a label saying vista compatible >_>
You obviously do not know what you are talking about, comparability issues? You only run into those with extremely high end studio programs (very few) If you are talking about 64bit vista and trying to run a 16 bit app then of course it will fail, xp 64 and vista 64 both dumped unstable 16 bit code. Or you are just making up imaginary compatibility issues. Vista runs fine, infarct just as good as xp in most cases. It should run faster with the required ram as prefetch looks at programs you use often and stores them on the ram. Of course it will run slow on your i386 machine...

This does not mean I love vista, in fact I use xp 64 on this computer. I'm just saying it's a fine OS and I use it sometimes on my other hard drive. I just use xp 64 because my raid setup is faster than a single hard drive and I have no reason to change it.

It should run faster with the required ram as prefetch looks at programs you use often and stores them on the ram
RAM isn't the only speed factor, you know...

Also, you're very wrong about the "few compatibility issues" theory. A lot of programs have compatibility issues. They're just really easy to fix. The big thing that's annoying is that you can't run everything as-is. You need to set a good bunch of programs to run as an admin. Though this starts becoming a problem when you set up another, non-administrative account up. Then it gets to be a headache because you can't fix the problem.

Vista runs fine, infarct just as good as xp in most cases.
I know from firsthand experience that this is not the case.

What? Of course ram isn't the only factor. Programs that you use often will open faster, that's fact. There are very few compatibility problems, perhaps when you play an old game it will say "There are known compatibility issues" Go get a patch, it's fixed. Vista has eliminated most of these, please give me examples before you ramble on. Right clicking running on admin I will admit you do have to do a bit.

A real compatibility issue is basically when it refuses to run at all with no solution from the manufacture or vista. Haven't run into many of those have you?

I never made a theory, a theory is tested many times. Oh wait it is a theory, because I'm always right :D

I reformat often, too much in fact. I try not to reformat my linux or windows servers too often though >_>. I have used vista, it's genuinely fine. My favorite part about vista, is that it has a large array of recent drivers. No need to use a floppy disc or slipstream your xp or whatever installation for raid or SCSI drivers, it has them right there. Kickass.

My desktop system, is a qx6700 @ 3.85 ghz (all qx6700 are b3 so don't yell at me) 6 gigs of ram, and an hd3870x2. It's beast in fact it's beast enough for an award. Take a look at it's awesomeness. http://www.wiggles.3dslice.com/index1.html
If you feel like being investigative take a look at my main page, http://www.wiggles.3dslice.com , my friend was being a jerk and didn't let me host it at UCLA. It's not a real site... It has it's main purpose basically hidden.

JigglyWiggly said:
My desktop system, is a qx6700 @ 3.85 ghz (all qx6700 are b3 so don't yell at me) 6 gigs of ram, and an hd3870x2. It's beast in fact it's beast enough for an award. Take a look at it's awesomeness. http://www.wiggles.3dslice.com/index1.html
If you feel like being investigative take a look at my main page, http://www.wiggles.3dslice.com , my friend was being a jerk and didn't let me host it at UCLA. It's not a real site... It has it's main purpose basically hidden.
Not everyone has that spec on there computers (Especially a laptop) and yea srb2 doesn't lag apart from when I'm running srb2 open-gl with other people in the game (online play) or because the desktop control thingy keeps running and wasting ram which could be used for other programs. Also the vista aero task bar and the transparent stuff wastes alot of ram to, i have to keep my pc down to classic so i save more ram. Anyways compatibility issues is a big thing with vista at the moment due to XP using direct x 9.0c and vista using direct x 10, some applications cant run on direct x 10 so that's why they have to put a label saying vista compatible (Even on some hardware as i recall)

It's based off of the NT just like xp and win2k. They did not mess it up.

Silent_Snipe said:
Not everyone has that spec on there computers (Especially a laptop) and yea srb2 doesn't lag apart from when I'm running srb2 open-gl with other people in the game (online play) or because the desktop control thingy keeps running and wasting ram which could be used for other programs. Also the vista aero task bar and the transparent stuff wastes alot of ram to, i have to keep my pc down to classic so i save more ram. Anyways compatibility issues is a big thing with vista at the moment due to XP using direct x 9.0c and vista using direct x 10, some applications cant run on direct x 10 so that's why they have to put a label saying vista compatible (Even on some hardware as i recall)

Not everyone does, you don't need one. I also have an asus g2s laptop with a t7700, 2gigs of ram , 8600mgt and a 200 gig 7200rpm hd. Pretty nice eh? About putting windows classic, I'm going to assume it's just like xp in this part. The classic most likely (If it's just like xp) goes over the vista layer (it goes over the xp layer) which reduces performance. Aero does use ram, vista uses ram dynamically. On my 6 gig ram system it uses 1.5 gigs of ram idle, it will shrink if I am doing hella awesome video editing. Vista compatible is a marketing scheme, an intel x3100 gpu is vista compatible yet it can't run aero properly if at all. (They may have changed their policy now.) To add to that have you ever heard of dx 9.0L? If an application runs on dx10 then they will have a dx9.0c version. Games now don't even use dx10 properly, they make their game dx9 and then put a dx10 layer over it. Oh on a side note, Vista has dx 9.0 and dx10 built into it.

May i also add that the way vista evaluates your pc is wrong unless you get the bios hack because it gives it a false rating making you buy better stuff which isn't needed at all

What the hell is the point of cheating it? Oh yeah there is no point. The Rating system is made to tell if you're pc is a piece of junk or not, not telling you to go run to the store. They added this because on the back of games they tell you the minimum pc rating you need to have. Since vista's built in checker is based on the lowest factor this works perfectly, since if a game requires shader model 3.0 and vista will not let a card with shader model 2.0 score anything higher than a 3.5 this tells you you can not run the game.

Vista is less "bullet proof" than XP. Nope, not on hacking, on inside problems. if you run windows xp, you run less of a chance to have to press the power button and possibly delete your hard drive.

Your computer is also only as fast as its slowest component:

Hard Drive RPM

RAM

Processor power

Bit Rate

and some other stuff.
You could have the strongest processor in the world, but if your hard drive runs at 1500 RPM, its going to be somewhat slow.

Keep that in mind. Vista Takes more RAM Than XP I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back