SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 10-17-2016   #721
SSG3
Oh, THAT Youtuber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-blade View Post
Amazing work there, Motor! My apologies for sounding a bit demanding but are you also going to do Luigi next?

By looking at the sprites, it looks most likely that he would do Luigi. However, it's MotorRoach's choice, so anything's possible.
SSG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016   #722
MotorRoach
Roach when Sonic
Developer

I haven't been able to show a whole lot these past weeks, so here are two Belmonts to keep you guys distracted:

Spoiler: What a horrible night to not belong in this world
Yes, I do intend to work on them in the distant future.

Last edited by MotorRoach; 11-06-2016 at 09:33 PM.
MotorRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #723
Larz T
Siced
Judge

Really like how Richter looks. What got you inspired?
YouTube

Larz T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #724
MotorRoach
Roach when Sonic
Developer

Castlevania's really neat art style, and I just really like both of Richter and Simon's designs. Richter was a blast to play as in Symphony of the Night.
Old 03-27-2018   #725
MotorRoach
Roach when Sonic
Developer

Mind you, this isn't anything concrete yet. I'm just experimenting with Sonic's design for an eventual clean up in the future. Hopefully I didn't make it too different.

I'll see what everyone thinks of it first, before I go anywhere with this sprite design.
Old 03-27-2018   #726
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

My first impressions of it are that the head kind of looks a little bit too far back (so it looks a bit like he's pushing his chest forwards or such), the visible middle spike on the head looks a little bit "odd" to me (the top of it drops 1 pixel every pixel while the bottom remains at the same height, for 7 horizontal pixels in a row, which makes it look kind of triangle-like rather than rounded to me), and it sort of looks like his right leg is straight while his left leg isn't, though I know that the latter is just because of perspective and such.

If I have to be nitpicky, his nose looks kind of... weird. The shine on the top of it sort of just looks like part of the eye behind it, and the whitness at the end of it looks off compared to the darker-coloured outline edges around all of the other colours.
And the darkish-greyish spot under the left half of Sonic's eye (meaning the one towards the right of the image) also looks off to me, as it has a colour that I wouldn't really associate with neither the eye nor the muzzle, but I get that having it be whiter could make the muzzle look too slim, while having it "skin-coloured-er" would make the muzzle look too thick. I know that there's probably not much that can be done about this bit, but the long dark strip of colour there still looks a little weird to me.

But other than that, it looks very nice in my opinion (though I can't quite remember what F. Sonic's equivalent standing frame looks like, so I'm just giving my thoughts on what I think of that sprite on its own).
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #727
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

This overall looks much more like the official Sonic artwork and the spines are much more defined here. I like it!
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #728
MotorRoach
Roach when Sonic
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
But other than that, it looks very nice in my opinion (though I can't quite remember what F. Sonic's equivalent standing frame looks like, so I'm just giving my thoughts on what I think of that sprite on its own).
Old 03-27-2018   #729
Elyos03

Those new sprites... They reach the level of Naoto Oshima's art!

Despite all that, it looks better than a polishment of SSNTails' sprites, which already looks better than what we currently have in 2.1 (Unless you launch it with FSonic).
Spoiler:
DO NOT look into my oldest posts. They now make me cringe like and YouTuber watching its very first video.

Last edited by Elyos03; 03-27-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Elyos03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #730
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

With that comparison image, I can definitely say that I prefer the newer one on the right. I still feel everything I posted in my previous reply, but in my opinion, it's still quite better-looking overall than F. Sonic.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #731
RomioTheBadass

I'm kinda sad you guys are straying from the Xtreme look / design of Sonic :< (both this and FSonic).

Last edited by RomioTheBadass; 03-27-2018 at 11:57 PM.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018   #732
TelosTurntable
Or, "TelosTurntable"

God, I heckin' love the Jam style aesthetic this sprite has

Unlike just being some blue rat before, now he has style. Spunk. The big COOL.
If this isn't in 2.2, I guess I'll be kinda sad about it

ALSO

if this resprite gets pushed we finally get actual hands, so, I mean,
Old 03-28-2018   #733
Ultimate
a scar in time...

I think this style much more closely captures the feel of traditional Sonic. The left side gives off a cute and slightly aloof feel, where the right has that spunky and determined attitude that Sonic was always meant to have. From the shape of the spines, the definition on the hands, to the eyes, to the posture, it portrays that attitude perfectly. It also does it in such a way that doesn't go overboard (looking at you, modern Sonic).

Last edited by Ultimate; 03-28-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018   #734
Ritz
Subhedgehog
Developer

Hell yeah. Make the smile a frown and it's perfect.
Old 03-28-2018   #735
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?

I do like the newer design as it reminds me for some reason of some of the artwork in Before/After the Sequel (the head). It also seems to look somewhat like classic sonic transitioning into his dreamcast era as far as the proportions go. And also hands that aren't just blobs? My lucky day.

Tsumi: OH GOD OH FUCK MIDGET TAILS IS FIGHTING GIGA BRAK
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018   #736
Chrispy
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Hell yeah. Make the smile a frown and it's perfect.
Let 👏 Sonic 👏smile 👏
Old 03-28-2018   #737
Shiron

This sprite looks so much OBJECTIVELY better than F Sonic, it's crazy. And don't get me wrong, I love F Sonic as an improvement from the original sprites, but this is even more of an improvement. idk how dead set you are on finishing these sprites but judging from this one angle I think your efforts will be beyond worth it.

Sonic has more personality and he just looks less stiff and rigid overall. Also, his left hand actually looks like he's just naturally relaxing. And having him stick his chest out is a nice detail, shows how confident he's supposed to be.

Like I said, I love F Sonic to death, but it's hard to deny that this one angle just shows how much sonic's sprites can still be improved.

EDIT: and if it doesn't fit SRB2's style, fine. I'm not saying these should replace sonic's vanilla sprites, I'm just saying I'd love to have this as a standalone character wad if anything.

Last edited by Shiron; 03-28-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Shiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018   #738
Chromatian
KartKrew™
Developer

It's an objectively better sprite in terms of proportions, and I like it far more than the previous sprites, but I have a bias towards the "classic-modern" style of Sonic's design. This sprite is leaning more towards a modern looking Sonic rather than a classic one.

It's definitely better, but you're beginning to blur the line of what style of Sonic you're aiming for now.
Old 03-28-2018   #739
MotorRoach
Roach when Sonic
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
It's an objectively better sprite in terms of proportions, and I like it far more than the previous sprites, but I have a bias towards the "classic-modern" style of Sonic's design. This sprite is leaning more towards a modern looking Sonic rather than a classic one.
Well, one of my main references was the 1998/Jam Sonic design, which was right before Sonic Adventure happened, so... you're not wrong!

Old 03-29-2018   #740
RomioTheBadass

2nd poster looks like Sonic from Sonic Advance, except no green eyes.