Error in authors in SRB2 website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penopat

dispenser erection
I was reading through the archived news on SRB2.org for nostalgia/time's sake... I found something intriguing:

spazzistic1.PNG

Alright, that's weird. Since when does Mystic say RAWR? Of course, then I realized that this was a lead to a bigger issue:

http://www.srb2.org/page/2/
http://tinyurl.com/6829ucl (google cache of the same page)

Why are all the posts written by Spazzo suddenly credited to Mystic? Alright, it might be a fluke, but then I also realized something else:

http://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52
http://tinyurl.com/65geoxn

Look at the author of the suggestions topic that is stickied. Also note that the suggestions topic has been edited at 11:20pm, around 12 hours before this post I'm making right now.

Alright, this was on purpose. As someone who has recently been battered over the head with anti-plagiarism propoganda, APA citation standards, and business ethics, seeing something even as minute as this is irritating and generally leaves a distaste in my mouth. Of course, I don't know the reason for this, nor do I know who did it and why...

I would be displeased if someone took credit for my work; for example, if someone took one of my WADs and claimed it as their own beyond my permission for whatever reason, whether it be rage, disagreement, or even endearment. Does whoever is doing this have the permission from Spazzo, Mystic, SSNTails, and whatever other parties are involved to alter the author/credit given of such works? If not, I would suggest whoever is doing this to reprimanded and the correct credit given/fixed.

Last edited:
I guess they just didn't delete his posts yet, since Spazzo clearly isn't on the dev team anymore.

...Does this mean Mr. Dictionary is our mascot again?

If they deleted his posts, that's quite a bit different. This is the equivalent of taking a WAD of mine and replacing the "made by PENOPAT" sticker with a "made by MYSTIC" sticker.

It seems that Wordpress reassign posts to the deleter of the the author's account.

It seems that Wordpress reassign posts to the deleter of the the author's account.

... and wordpress changes the authors of forum topics?

The account should have been dummied out/rendered inaccessable by spazzo; at least then he'd still be getting credit for his posts yet would lose access to the website blog.

[12:14] <MonsterIestyn> http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=35485 <-- Hmm?
[12:14] <MonsterIestyn> Mystic, saying "RAWR"?
[12:15] <Cue> Sigh
[12:15] <MonsterIestyn> You devs trying to write Spazzo out of history or something? :x
[12:15] <MonsterIestyn> *shot*
[12:16] <MrMystery> lol look what you done cue
[12:16] <Cue> No we removed his blog account
[12:16] <MonsterIestyn> Heh
[12:17] <MrMystery> now go out in front of the mob and suffer 30 lashes
[12:17] <Cue> MrMystery: I give the lashes
[12:17] <MrMystery> not this time :)
[12:18] <Cue> I'm the guy behind the lash mask :D
tencharacters

Spazzo's account was removed, but because it was 7am and I'd had a late night, so really wasn't in thinking mode, I just deleted his account but forgot about the fact that unlike vBulletin deleting the user doesn't save the poster's name to the post and instead edits the author. Should all be fine now, sorry about that guys.

As to what happened with the forum posts, haven't a clue.

If you actually bothered to look in the suggestions topic, you'd notice we merged the old topic with the new topic, which has the effect of making SSNTails appear to be the topic author.

Also:
[02:17] <@Mystic> I'm just taking the initial line from his AIM reply as a declaration of war. "(8:11:01 PM) Spazzo: You'd be awfully screwed right now if I ever harnessed the ability to be vindictive." is NOT a statement I will take lightly

In case you didn't notice, Spazzo appears to have lost his mind. Long story.

Sad too, I quite liked the guy initially.

Alright, thanks Cue (and Logan). If it was an accident on your part, which I believe, it's fine now and resolved.

...of course, now that Inuyasha has made the actions you were told to do seem more like a personal attack rather than anything ethical or productive...

Edit: at the same time, why were all the messages set to Mystic anyways? Logan says that the deleted user's messages change into the deleter's messages, yet looking at a wordpress FAQ one is prompted as to what username they want to replace the authors with... why weren't they all just set to Cue or Jazz for example?

Last edited:
I'm being quite open about what I'm doing. Spazzo lost his mind, and got banned, so we're systematically removing his access to various SRB2 services. This caused the quirk on the blog when Cue messed up due to lack of sleep. Also, because it looks REALLY weird seeing a stickied topic by a person with a ban, a few topics were unstuck and Suggestions was merged with its older topics to make the OP SSNTails (since he was the person who made the ORIGINAL suggestions topic in 2005.)

Spazzo still has the OP of the EIP reporting topic, but I figure when 2.1 comes out we'll need to replace that topic anyways, so there's a time limit on how long that quirk will remain.

I'm not doing this with the goal of erasing the history of Spazzo on the team. I'm doing this because he's clearly not going to be involved in SRB2 in the future, and it looks weird to have him continue to be displayed everywhere while banned and removed from the team. You'll note I haven't touched the forum archives, and you'll see his name everywhere on OPs there.

Anyhow, due to the dramatic nature of the bullshit that happened yesterday, I'm going to lock this topic. If you'd like information about what happened and why it came down to this, I'll gladly provide logs and other information via private message on the forums or on IRC. I absolutely want to be open about what went down and why someone who used to be a trusted member of the team was banned in such a hard-handed manner. I simply don't want to see the forums degenerate into a flamewar like Spazzo seemed to have wanted, so I'd like to avoid completely public discussion about it. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back