SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 01-12-2020   #1
Frostav
Default Frostav's attempts to make levels.

I'm too addicted to this game, and with how intuitive map making seems at first (just draw lines and give them textures!), I gave in. The only map makers I've ever dabbled with before are ones for racing games, so this is wholy new to me.

A lot of first maps are usually some variation on Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Greenflower, etc. I however, decided that my first level would mix together the themes of...Red Volcano and Frozen Hillside. Enter Infernal Glacier Zone, a glacier so bone-chillingly cold that even a massive lava flow through it couldn't melt it. Instead, the lava rages underneath, on top of, and all around the ice. Don't worry, it won't melt--you might wanna bring a coat, though. I actually think the mixture of cool blues and whites with reds and oranges makes for a nice look, and I innovated a method of pairing translucent ice FOF's with sectors using lava floors to make a really cool effect.

Also it's stupid hard and nothing but asshole platforming.

Here's some shots of my work so far.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20032.png
Views:	26
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	25451  
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020   #2
Frostav

There's an Amy route too. It's pretty short, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20025.gif
Views:	38
Size:	6.71 MB
ID:	25452  
Old 01-13-2020   #3
Ace Dragon

I see you're going all in on your first map, and doing a good job at it.

The more levels we have to play the merrier, I'm really getting into custom content now because 2.2 allows for far higher quality. I hope to play this.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020   #4
Frostav

Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably getting too ambitious, lol, but I like what I'm doing and it's fun. I dunno how to make levels look pretty but I'm getting better at making challenges, that's for sure.

In the meanwhile, I've made the lava less eye-searing but using the non-flashing textures RVZ uses (lavafalls of course, remain animated).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20028.gif
Views:	43
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	25474  
Old 01-14-2020   #5
Ace Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostav View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably getting too ambitious, lol, but I like what I'm doing and it's fun. I dunno how to make levels look pretty but I'm getting better at making challenges, that's for sure.
I like giant levels as much as the next guy, but I myself decided to start with a less ambitious one since I didn't know of everything in Zone Builder yet.

The best advise I can give is to take it one section at a time and to give it thorough playtesting with all the characters.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020   #6
Scoobert
Mr. Rule 17

Frankly, all that matters is if you're having fun. The thing that always ends up deterring me from level design is the fact that it usually ends up feeling like a chore.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Frostav

I haven't worked on this in weeks. Looking at the other My First Levels being submitted every few days, this thing was substandard even for beginner standards and the core level design wasn't going to be good. I will probably restart from the ground up, though still retaining the lava glacier theme.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostav View Post
I haven't worked on this in weeks. Looking at the other My First Levels being submitted every few days, this thing was substandard even for beginner standards and the core level design wasn't going to be good. I will probably restart from the ground up, though still retaining the lava glacier theme.
Hey, sometimes the best way forward is to scrap everything and start from scratch. Usually you'll find that the second attempt was MUCH better than the first, and the results are also MUCH better than if you had sat and overworked your first attempt to death. So more power to ya!

Just don't quit! I really like this theme, so you better finish this!