Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I dislike is how there's just no advantage to being normal size. Controls when big is annoying, and you can jump over anything easily. Being small makes you ridiculously slow, makes it hard to collect things, and makes navigating take much longer than it should be.
The door idea is sorta lame because it forces people who hate being big or small to have to change, and the door blocks what would probably be the most widely-used path.

Why crawlas? Crawlas are useless.
To serve as an obstacle, even a minor one. A level filled with only Crawlas is better than a level with nothing at all. GFZ1, for example, only uses blue Crawlas, and that's sort of what gives it its unique charm.

Well, mabye you could SOC an enemy. A simple one, like the green spiky turtle thingies. (Forgot its name. =P)
EDIT: Erz is an enemy itself. Just not an enemy that you bounce on and explodes.

"Traps and whatnot", depending on player or designer's view, may be considered enemies.

On the other hand, considering the terminology and design adopted for SRB2:

- enemies are animated objects (even with simple A.I.) that have any resemblance to an alive being and can hurt the character.

- hazards are objects that can be static (spike ball), have an obvious movement (hanging maces), not always are animated, don't interact with character (except big mine) and can hurt the character. Another characteristic is that they seem they belong to the scenery.

Turrets and Pop-up turrets could be considered hazards, but for some reason, which I don't know, they are considered enemies.

I'm thinking about working on Tempest Ruins for the CTF division... Problem is, I haven't been able to start it, what with how much schoolwork I've had to catch up on... :(

I hope that I might be able to finish it by the time entries need to be submitted... But I doubt it, so I might have to wait until the next OLDC.

And I doubt that I'll be done by October 31st is because I'd really rather not rush it. :P

I sent in a Match level. I know it'll suck, but I sent it in just for feedback and see what I can do to make it better.

But if it goes well enough, I may end up making more...

And no, it's NOT 2D. 2D match is a stupid idea.

I sent in a Match level. I know it'll suck, but I sent it in just for feedback and see what I can do to make it better.

It's not necessarily going to suck (emboldened where you're being hard on yourself). Everyone has their own fortes, and others just don't recognize them because maybe it's not something they take much interest in. However, if you feel you did well, then you should be more uppity about it. ^.^

As for Tempest Ruins CTF, I don't know how much I'll get done. I've got the basic structure of the flag rooms down, but there are a lot of things that still need to be done.

...Not that it's a huge map. Just more or less detailed. :P

"Traps and whatnot", depending on player or designer's view, may be considered enemies.

On the other hand, considering the terminology and design adopted for SRB2:

- enemies are animated objects (even with simple A.I.) that have any resemblance to an alive being and can hurt the character.

- hazards are objects that can be static (spike ball), have an obvious movement (hanging maces), not always are animated, don't interact with character (except big mine) and can hurt the character. Another characteristic is that they seem they belong to the scenery.

Turrets and Pop-up turrets could be considered hazards, but for some reason, which I don't know, they are considered enemies.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, enemies can be killed, hazards can not? :|

Like those 2 times where the Turrets got destroyed? Well so far, the only hazard that can be destroyed was the Turret,(Pop-up Turret is an enemy because you can destroy it directly) but I would like to see some other hazards destroyed and then laugh at them.

I made a 2D CTF once :(

And yeah, hazards can be killed, if the map designer makes it possible.

Not necessarily. One could rig a few linedef effects and make something interesting happen.
What do you mean, "not necessarily"? I gave my definition of enemy and hazard, and all items fall into either one.

If you want a better definition, though, then all enemies can be killed and give you points upon defeat. Hazards are either unkillable or don't award you points when killed.

EDIT: By the way, there's a fine line between "killing" and "deleting". When an object is killed, it was killed by SOMETHING, possibly even itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back