Windows Media Player 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-Up

I have been having trouble with windows media player lately. When I try to play a mpeg file it shows a visualization instead of the movie. Does anyone know the cause of this and or the solution?

You can't play the video correctly due to you not having the correct video codec, you should get K-Lite Codec Pack.

If that fails, get MPlayer (google it). MPlayer is incredibly bare-bones and feature-free, but it plays anything and everything. It's nice to have MPlayer to fall back on when nothing else will play it. It will even play incomplete files.

It played it correctly before, but then it went crazy and does this to me. :?

EDIT: I just tried the codec pack and it did not help. The visualization goes with the sound, but I am not seeing a video. wmv and avi still work, but mpeg isn't.

1-Up said:
Does anyone know where Windows Media Player stores its codecs?

Windows Media Player 11 doesn't "store" codecs, the codecs are installed into our system as Directshow filters, that can be used by any program in your computer, such as WMP11, MPC, or any other program that uses Directshow
if you are missing a filter to play a certain file, get GSpot, drag and drop the file into a running copy of the GSpot program, and it will tell you if you have the filters installed to play that file, or if you don't have the codec needed for the file, it will tell you the FourCC name of the video or audio stream, and you will then need to install a codec that plays that that type of stream

also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow#Design_Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back