• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Water Works Zone, Act 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyasarin

Water Works Zone is a mechanical base, that's under the sea. There's parts of nature growing and infesting areas of the level, and some parts where you actually go outside.
The level is essentially a typical factory but with more of an emphasis on water-based gimmicks.

Act 1 was entered into the Contest a while back, and I'm now working on Act 2. I'm planning on entering this Act into the Contest as well.
Screenshots:

srb20017o.png

srb20019.png

srb20021.png

(The second screenshot's area is cramped compared to the others as it's showing a hidden area of the level. It can be seen through the windows in the third screenshot. There are two lasers in the third image that move up and down, but they aren't visible in the screenshot. The pistons move in-game.)

Any suggestions and criticism is welcome.
If you wish to test, contact me on IRC or send me a Private Message.

Last edited:
That level is awful. It has no redeeming value at all.

Just kidding. XD. It has potential.

However, there are things that are apparent to me in those screenshots that I think could use some improvement. The level design looks pretty good, apart from the enemy placement, which looks kind of haphazard and not that well thought out.

The real problem with this level is your texture choices. In fact, I think this is a consistent design flaw in your levels, Kyasarin; It's not that the textures are really bland or need more variation, it's more that there's always something about it that seems "off"...like it's not all it could be, or that there's something almost messily placed about them. It doesn't help that your levels tend to have a lot of straight sections and hallways, which basically results in your levels laying out everything they've got really quickly. This makes the levels feel almost like they're building up to a climax that never comes...like they start out good, but thematically they don't lead anywhere.

Here are some specific examples. I've always hated that particular water flat; use FWATER instead. And why did you put THZWAL01 on the sides of the computers? I'd say you should use COMP1. Also, everything is awfully gray...try to vary up use of the ERZ textures a little more. They are so popular and overused now that you have to be really creative with them to stand out, and the good news is that there are so many ERZ textures that a good level designer can do that without too much effort. And in that last screenshot, the sector to the right of the conveyor belt isn't lined up right; either attach Sector Flat Alignment to it, or just move the sector 32 fracunits to the right.

Another real problem is that the theme you've chosen is interesting, but it doesn't look like it was executed that well. The wall textures don't seem to change at the same time that the floor and ceiling flats seem to change, which looks kind of weird.

I also don't see any gimmicks in those screenshots...add in some rising/draining water sections, and some moving mechanical platforms. Also, have you considered trying your hand at a 2D section? Knowing your style, I can't help but feel like that's right up your alley.

A level like this would have cleaned up in a 1.09.4-era contest, but I'm not so sure it will now.

I'm planning on adding more texture variation once the actual level is completed. I actually picked BWATER instead of FWATER because I thought it looks better and would seem less overused.
There's a crusher segment, a current segment where you jump over hazards, and moving lasers. The lasers aren't visible (in the screenshot), and I didn't take a picture of the crusher and current segments because they probably aren't so visually appealing.
This is just the beginning of the level. I'm planning on having areas where the level becomes wider and less corridor-like, such as the room I'm currently building where you platform on pistons and dodge lasers over a death pit.

Huh? Where have the screenshots gone?

EDIT: Just now that I wrote this, they appeared... I dunno what happened. Comments later.

Yes, but what about the platforming?

Other than that, make sure you remember what people didn't like about act 1. That's pretty much all I can say without actually playing the level.

Yes, but what about the platforming?

I've included a decent amount of platforming already. I'm trying to make this level much less flat than the previous Act (it already is) and it has more gimmicks than the first one, as well.
I'll post screenshots of newer/updated areas in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back