• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said "(MAKE THIS RARE)" man, and with that, I also said 20 OR 10!

The thing is though, the stars mechanic is something that is good in moderation. This is probably why Jasper seems to have a max of 5 stars, because with all their uses, if you were to get, say, 10 or 20, it would be even more OP than it already can get if used correctly, and even "making it rare" would not balance it out that much. Thus, why Speedwagon thinks the idea is bad (at least, I believe this is the reason). Puppyfaic's idea, on the other hand, makes sure Jasper always has at least one star, that way when you use all five, you aren't practically useless due to having no stars. That and it helps for those situations when you land then immediately realize you need to jump out of the way of something, it would mean you have 1 star to help you avoid said obstacle in the event that you already used all 5 stars.

It doesn't matter if it's rare. Having the ability to stay in the air for more then 30 seconds and having full control of where you are going is overpowered as fuck. Not to mention "rare" is such a shitty gimmick for character abilities. There's a reason why that shitty "super sonic" suggestion in that metal anyone topic was ignored.

Honestly I still haven't implemented getting stars from bopping enemies and I'm still unsure whether or not it would end up being useful. I get that it encourages the player to go and still attempt to complete the level, but in certain cases there isn't any enemies to go bop. If the player retained a star after spending all of them, it still lets them do something regardless.

Last edited:
LGiX2T0.gif

The speed cap is really weird at the moment, since I have to manipulate momx and momy and it seems to work the best when Jasper is moving along the x or y axis (not on an angle more or less). I have to find a way for the game to cap the momentum based on what angle he faces.

Also implemented the extra pity star. Still requires a bit of testing to see how useful it'll actually be but yay!

I could set up sounds that play whenever the player gets a star, but I'm sure that'd just get annoying hilariously quickly. I could try to make the HUD do some sort of effect upon getting one though.

I could set up sounds that play whenever the player gets a star, but I'm sure that'd just get annoying hilariously quickly. I could try to make the HUD do some sort of effect upon getting one though.

Yeah, nothing obnoxious or anything. I was thinking something that sounds soft.

EDIT: Maybe I can PM you some sounds I had in mind later.

Last edited:
The sound would play repeatedly every time Jasper got a star, so...

*Blrrring!*
*Blrrring!*
*Blrrring!*

Even if it was just applied to the first star, it would always play when Jasper lands with no stars. By the first time you heard the sound you would've already understood that you get an extra one if you touch ground, but eh.

Jasper never had a sound for getting a star, it was always mute. If you mean the voice he has, he still has that too.

Don't implement a sound please. There's no way to do so without it being incredibly annoying.
Imagine Super Jasper.... That being said, what will Super Jasper have? Unlimited Stars? More stars? No stars at all?
EDIT: I just realized what you meant by the sound... Jasper GETTING a star... Honestly, there's no need for a sound like that... But if you're suggesting any sounds at all, I'd say maybe the soul orb sound effects from Sonic and the secret rings

Last edited:
Speaking of unholy, Jasper gets infinite stars upon becoming super and the Spark Burst acts more like a stomp attack, sending him straight down.

Speaking of sounds, I also need a way to turn off player hurt sounds (or simply replace them with the regular hit sound) if the player is super. If you actually played as him in Match in 2.0 you'd know that Jasper practically sounds like he's having seizures if you hit him with lots of auto rings while he's super.

The speed cap is really weird at the moment, since I have to manipulate momx and momy and it seems to work the best when Jasper is moving along the x or y axis (not on an angle more or less). I have to find a way for the game to cap the momentum based on what angle he faces.

I'm not sure how close this is to what you're using right now, but this technique works fine for me regardless of angle:

Code:
local playerspeed = FixedHypot(player.mo.momx, player.mo.momy)
local maxspeed = FixedMul(somenumber*FRACUNIT, player.mo.scale)
if playerspeed > maxspeed then
local speedratio = FixedDiv(maxspeed, playerspeed)
player.mo.momx = FixedMul(player.mo.momx, speedratio)
player.mo.momy = FixedMul(player.mo.momy, speedratio)
end

That code works perfectly with a few tweaks, thanks! But here's the real question: how does this work exactly in the event that I have to mess around with some of the Fixed functions later on (yes I like learning)?

That code works perfectly with a few tweaks, thanks! But here's the real question: how does this work exactly in the event that I have to mess around with some of the Fixed functions later on (yes I like learning)?

First, playerspeed (the player's forward momentum regardless of angle) is calculated using FixedHypot (square root of a^2 + b^2) on the player's momx and momy. If this speed is greater than maxspeed (the fastest you want the player to move, compensating for object scale), speedratio (the ratio of the maximum speed to the player's current speed) is calculated. The player's momx and momy are then multiplied by speedratio, changing them to what they would be if playerspeed were equal to maxspeed; that is, if the player's angle of movement were the same but the 'hypotenuse' of momx and momy was the length you want it to be. To clarify, FixedMul multiplies two inputs in FRACUNIT scale and spits out a FRACUNIT-scale value, and FixedDiv is the same thing with division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back