Setting up SOC editor

BlazeFan1

Hi folks.

I've got some rather... erm... unusual SRB2 projects in the planning stage right now, and I can't really do them until I figure out how to make my own SOC's.

I'm perfectly content to learn how through the wiki. But I can't edit the SOC's until I get the SOC editor to work.

Now, when you open the SOC editor, the left side reads "Path to SRB2 source code". The wiki says I'm supposed to direct this to a file called SRB2Src.exe. I have this file, but when I open the folder it's in with the SRB2 source code path finder thing, no programs are shown. (Which I assume means it doesn't recognize any source code programs, and it simply doesn't bother to show the rest, as they are incompatible.)

So, since there was no program to choose, I just left it at that folder as the end of the pathway, chose my SOC file in the "SOC file to use" section, and clicked "Edit States" which the wiki said was where I should start.

"Run-Time Error 53. File Not found"

I assume this is because I didn't directly link the sourcecode path to SRB2Src.exe. I would, but it won't show up.

Does anyone know how to help me get this running so I can start trying to build a SOC?

And has anyone noticed most of my questions pertain to getting programs working rather than actual design questions...?

The wiki says I'm supposed to direct this to a file called SRB2Src.exe.

SRB2 Wiki said:
To retrieve SRB2's source code, extract SRB2Src.exe from the installation package anywhere on your computer. Then open up the SOC editor and navigate the "Path to SRB2 source code" window to the "src" folder of the source.
No, don't point it to SRB2Src.exe. Run SRB2Src.exe, extract the source code with it and navigate the SOC Editor to that.

Ah, ok.

The wiki should really word that a little better. That sentence you quoted confuses me a little. (I'm not horribly computer savvy)

Thanks SpiritCrusher.

Yeah but opening SRB2Src.exe doesn't give you an "extract" option. It gives you an "install" option. I assumed that SRB2Src was what I was trying to extract, not what I was going to extract stuff from by installing it.

EDIT: Regardless of my apparently poor logical perceptions of the wiki's description, the SOC editor is now working. So thanks for the clarification, however unnecessary it may have seemed to you.

Last edited:
Yeah but opening SRB2Src.exe doesn't give you an "extract" option. It gives you an "install" option. I assumed that SRB2Src was what I was trying to extract, not what I was going to extract stuff from by installing it.
Ah, I understand what you mean. I'll change it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back