SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 02-17-2020   #1
LoganA
Administrator

Default SRB2 Version 2.2.1 Release

Posted by Rob Tisdell on 02-17-2020 02:37 AM.

Quote:
Hey all!

We’re releasing an update to 2.2. 2.2.1 is here! Since so many things were changed, we decided it was correct to release this as a full install package, so you’ll need to redownload this. You should be able to install this into your SRB2 folder where 2.2 lives with no problems.

We’ve been meaning to get it out for a while, but one thing or another always caused a snag in the plans. There are a couple major changes we think people will be happy with (Objects now have shadows, and Fickle’s camera mod have been implemented, for example), but it’s mostly bugfixing. Also, when we released 2.2.0, we did neglect to add a name to the credits, so by way of apology, I specifically want to directly acknowledge QueenDelta in this newspost for having made Dream Hill, a map for 2.1, and was awesome enough for us to include in 2.2. She also made the new chip, enemy, and star assets for that map. Her name has been added into the credits where it belongs.

For right now, all we have is a Windows build for 2.2.1. As with 2.2.0, we will initially have a torrent available and update the page as we go. We’ll be periodically updating the download page and newsposts as builds for other platforms get added or otherwise made available.

Video with some noteworthy changes:

Changelog Highlights:
(Detailed changelog here)
  • Shadows have been added to the game.
  • A slew of camera options originally known as the “ficklecam” mod (Made by fickle) from the forums has now been added to the game
  • Added the “Simple” play style, which automatically orientates the camera. It may prove easier for players using controllers.
  • OpenGL batch files are included in this package.
  • GIFs may be recorded under OpenGL.
  • The renderer may now be changed while in game.
  • Players now only uncurl from a ball after hitting the ground when using the Elemental Shield’s ability. This means you can break those monitors under the goop in THZ2!
  • Added sixteen angle sprite support.
  • Fixed the Fire Shield being extinguished by lava.
  • Adjusted Tails’ flight to discourage mashing the jump button.
  • Players no longer slide off polyobjects.
View on SRB2.org

Last edited by Rob; 02-17-2020 at 03:52 PM.
LoganA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #2
Frostav

So Fickle's mod has pretty much been officially implemented into SRB2 proper?
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #3
Plazzma02
Animator.

Default Wow.

Yes. The first of a billion (exaggeration) patches.
Although, I do look forward to every single patch.
v2.2.1 is cool, but I've seen some lighting bugs.(?) When looking into the distance, things seem darker, than in 2.2.0.
Also, When looking (In first person) straight up or down, the characters become flat.
https://imgur.com/a/oIlJFPP

piskelapp.com/user/5706657598799872
Check Out My Animations.
Plazzma02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #4
QueenDelta

Sprite shadows are an awesome idea, I feel like this'll make platforming a tad easier to judge now
QueenDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #5
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Ooh that's a lot of changes, OpenGL might just become my go-to renderer now.

EDIT: colormaps still looking odd in ogl, everything else is pretty good though!

Last edited by RomioTheBadass; 02-17-2020 at 09:42 AM.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #6
MK.exe
The one and only!

Lots to unravel in this update.

Cant wait to get stuck in
Old 02-17-2020   #7
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2.1 changelog
!668 (merged) - Added an option to always play a sound rather than the jingle when acquiring an extra life.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Finally! Well truthfully the music thing is a lot less relevant these days since 2.2 doesn't start the music from the start but damn this is still an awesome addition! Also dropshadows and using flats on walls and shit, those are neat. The dropshadows cease to exist in reverse gravity but I imagine that's intentional.
now make with the 64 bit installer already
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #8
SpicyHamSamson
Pure of Heart! Dumb of Ass!

Is there any estimate we could get for how long it'll be before the Mac version comes out? I'd really like to give the 3D models mod a try, but I can't use OpenGL yet(at least, I don't know how to use it).
SpicyHamSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #9
dany777
Addicted to Bubble Bobble

You should add an option to protect servers with passwords, so if you plan to host only for friends, no one else could join.
dany777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #10
Ace Dragon

The drop shadows will be very useful for more precise platforming, too often I misjudge whether I'm above a platform because of the lack of them.

Now if the team can get that OpenGL shaders patch committed for 2.2.2, it might be a good time to think about making OpenGL the default renderer (at least for systems with a discrete GPU). I looked at it on gitlab and it looks to improve the look of everything while keeping the Genesis aesthetic.

EDIT: In fact, even now, it seems like the advantages of OpenGL are starting to outweigh the drawbacks, especially since FoF's and Polyobjects do not have drawing issues along with the complete lack of HOM issues. However, once I go to OpenGL, the game will not let me go back to software mode if I need it.

Last edited by Ace Dragon; 02-18-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #11
rocklight124
live and learn

The update is down right tubular, but their is a small bug with the camera when you jump while moving to many times. The camera will begin to tilt downward.
Old 02-18-2020   #12
Augus

Drop shadows FINALLY being in the game is a godsend. This has bothered me for years, platforming is just so much easier with drop shadows.
Augus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #13
CST1229
I somewhat miss 2.1...

Yes, so that now flats can be used on walls, flats and textures are (finally) interchangeable!!
CST1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020   #14
Metal96
spaghetti coder

This update is incredible. 2.2 is incredible. The graphics are incredible (and liking how OGL is coming along, must say). The music is incredible. The sprites are incredible. SLOPES. SKYBOXES. NEW SKY RENDERING (?? is that what that is??). EVERYTHING. NEW CONTROL SCHEME. And now DROP SHADOWS. I cannot believe what you folks have done. I am blown away, and once again, after years, hooked on this game.

It is beautiful, and a work of art.

Favorite Zone: CEZ(!)
Metal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020   #15
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

When will de get direct download for this?
Old 03-05-2020   #16
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator

You won't need a download for 2.2.1, since 2.2.2 came out just a week ago if you didn't see: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46624

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020   #17
Unknownlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_T View Post
When will de get direct download for this?
There already is. It's the link called "Mirror 1 / Mirror 2". You also have to download the 2.2.2 patch after that.
Unknownlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020   #18
NeonSynth
(formerly EggVaan)

I know I am already 3 months late to this but I last played SRB2 in 2008/2009. It is amazing to see how much has changed and that it is still being worked on! Kudos to everyone involved and the music team!

Also cringey username from back then... wish I could change it.
NeonSynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020   #19
SIG7

Could I make a Scratch port of Sonic Robo Blast 2 (I am making one anyway), and if so, could I have it uploaded as an sb3 file?
SIG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #20
MADVAL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG7 View Post
Could I make a Scratch port of Sonic Robo Blast 2 (I am making one anyway), and if so, could I have it uploaded as an sb3 file?
No please!!!,I hate Scratch because it's bad

Last edited by MADVAL2; 04-25-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed
MADVAL2 is offline   Reply With Quote