WHAT ABOUT RAILS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... They added the homing and lightdash just to show that It could do the SA/SA2 stuff. :\ I'd say rails just wouldn't belong, accept in techno hill zone, or one of the future zones, like deep sea zone, rocky mountain zone or, eggrock zone. I'd say, if you want a more sonic adventurie-ish level, you should play lightbulb factory zone or one of JTE's zones.

yes some levels are suitable for rails but still old school or new you should still add more to the game to make it more interactive.

besides do you really think people will continue to enjoy to play the same gameplay over and over again? you gotta add something new once in a while...

Well, I like your IDEA :D just, I think this game should be updated even at final release, lets say you won 9 levels, It would add a new one, again again again, until your at level 1000 or something.

nega-sonic said:
Well, I like your IDEA :D just, I think this game should be updated even at final release, lets say you won 9 levels, It would add a new one, again again again, until your at level 1000 or something.

I understand what you mean but thats why you would put levels in seperate diffrent wads as diffrent games.

Example:

Mystic Realm
Mystic Realm 2
Mystic Realm :the revenge

you know, something like that...

nega-sonic said:
Not possible, unless you WANTED to wait 10 years for all those maps to be complete. I don't even think SRB2 is capable of having 1000 maps, is it?

The later levels probably WILL have different specials and enemies and stuff to add to gameplay, but they sure won't be using rails. You'd need slopes for them to be even halfway decent.

maybe... but having new enemies would be nice and some radically different levels. maybe so different that someone could make a mod of..oh i don't know... super smash bros and make it part of srb2

I made something like that for SMS blast. Basicly just climbing at very high speed, but then with a differen't animation.

As for rails...you can kinda make that possible. First make something that looks like a rail. (should be a FOF) Give that rail a spindash boost status. Always make the boosters point the way where the rails are going.

There! Now you can spin on rails! Have fun and don't bother me about this.

Yeah, it's been done in Metal City. But what's best, is to utilize a WadAuthor glitch to get a sector border smack dab in the middle of a sector. (It might be possible in doombuilder or SRB2builder, but I"m not sure) And make an invisible speed pad just over it.

Rails really don't add anything to gameplay. Honestly.

I don't understand why everyone liked grinding at all. It, in gameplay terms, acts like running, only with the added restriction of not being able to choose directions. SRB2 isn't about forcing the player onto a set path. If you wanna go backwards through SRB2's stages, go for it. You wanna explore the stages, go for it. You wanna blast through the optimal path going at full throttle, go for it.

Rails inherently force the player down a specific line of the stage, and in a forward-only direction. It's an addition to SA2 that mainly helps to appeal to younger players by looking "cool", as well as aiding in making the levels feel more directed by forcing them to go forward on a set path. Why would you want a gimmicky feature that simply makes levels more linear and less interactive? Why would you want a feature that simply encourages bad level design?

Draykon said:
You make a good point, though rails would work nicely as a way of boosting speed in circuit mode.
Why not use old-fashioned speed pads? You could get a definite boost out of them, they're much more versatile than rails, and keeps people from using a stupid gameplay mechanic in stages that don't need it (anything but circuit).

um... i have working rails... (and i dont know how these are supposed to work Digiku)
see the metal city wad i updated, for the sonic riders mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back