Mac or PC?

DashFox2007 said:
Sugar-coated lies? I think not, every windows user has come across confusing error messages, freezes, and crashes, pretty much during typical use.

That argument is incorrect on so many levels. First off, you don't even know what I'm referring to when I say "sugar-coated lies". Seriously, take a look at their marketing strategies. They try to look hip, cool, fancy, and most of all, like they're supposedly the best in the world. Look at this post you have written:

Oh my goodness! I'm at an apple store in New York and I'm trying out an apple computer, and it's awesome, I simply must switch to a mac!

If analyzed correctly, one can tell that you were a victim of Apple's corporate machine. "Hey, look! It's white and shiny! And the buttons are touch-sensitive! It automatically means it's good!" And then you look at some of their products like the iPhone, which has been so overhyped that people have overlooked some of its downsides, EG. no 3G connection, lack of browser features, limitations on developers, the AT&T network, etc. etc. As someone who reads tech blogs and watches CNBC, I give no doubt to the popularity of the iPhone, but at the same time, there are also several small issues that hurt its practicality.

And then there's Apple's Safari browser. Touted as the world's best browser when in truth there are more competent browsers, namely Firefox and Opera. The only thing Safari really has going for is its slightly faster page loading times. The rest of the areas are dominated by the competition. Look, every browser already has pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, and RSS-reading capability. Not to mention, only Firefox has been able to do add-ons correctly so far, and only Firefox and Opera have the capability to block ads.

In response to Windows instability, it is quite clear that you have never, ever used an NT-based Windows system. News flash! The 95 kernel is unstable! The NT kernel isn't! Windows XP also effectively removes most BSoDs, and crashes are only at the fault of the software vendors. The only time XP will ever give a BSoD is in the case of hardware failure. This is understandable, because there really isn't much else that can be done when the GPU commits a fatal error or the CPU and RAM overheat to a degree in which they cannot operate safely. "Pretty much during typical use" implies that you have never used a Windows system, and further disproves your credibility.

Mac OS X Boot Camp, run XP or Vista on Macs, if I can run Xp on my mac and share files between the two OS's I can keep all my favorite exe's and use them without having to use two computers.

And as for user interface, I prefer a visually pleasing one that makes my time on a computer enjoyable and fun.

If you're going to use Windows to run your programs, why do you insist on also using OS X? Sure, it has flashy windows and bouncing icons, but you don't even need that kind of stuff. An operating system is what you use to run things from your computer. And you just can't run jack from OS X. Let me put it this way: I know a skilled Linux geek who is the IT tech guy at an upper-tier college in England, hosts a private IRC network, and two popular Yoshi fansites, and he still uses Windows as a personal operating system (though he uses Linux to run servers). Why? Software. In fact, that is the only thing that's preventing him from being entirely a Linux user. Most screenshots I see from him are of him running Windows. He's even given some positive feedback about Vista's latest update patch. Now that says something right there.

But what about pure power? For those of you who upgraded from Xp to Vista, I'm sure you had to upgrade your hardware and most of you probably say that Macs are weak and lacking in power, but Macs don't need as much power because they take up far less resources than resource hungry Vista.

I could recall reading the installation/upgrade manual for OS X and seeing that it had significantly higher system requirements than OS 9 had at the time. In those requirements: hardware-accelerated graphics. Just like what Vista has. Software rendering through GDI cannot possibly achieve such powerful effects as the Genie minimization.

If you get a virus on a PC, that's typical.

Sure, Windows only has 90% of the marketshare. It's inevitable that viruses will be developed for it. Now, granted, Windows' architecture isn't the most secure (as compared to Linux, which is quite impressive to me), but Microsoft has taken strides to patch those holes. Also, anti-virus software will usually dispatch of most any threat to come onto your computer. There are many free programs to choose from, so there's no excuse not to be protected.

I think I've covered about everything here.

Have you guys even used a mac? I like the old platinum mac OS 9 better than an XP. Still Mac os X has a menu on the left side everytime you open a window. It contains a link to get to you hard drive, music, applications, user, documents, movies, pictures, and even lets you view your desktop in windowd form. Also, there's a search button in the corner of your window. Just type a part of some random files name, and It finds it. even if you put in .wad, it finds every single one making it easier to find. it even splits up the file types, so you can find exactly what you're looking for. The search is also WAY faster than windows search. Here's a pic of a window to show you.

Let me sum this up:

I am not saying that mac is better than windows, the name of this topic is not Mac vs. Windows.

The mac mini meets my software and hardware needs, I can burn DVD's if I get one.

I am not buying a mac just because it looks nice

I want to make Photos, DVD's, and music, it's just easier to do on a mac because it comes bundled with the OS.

I don't have to worry about all this anti-virus trial software etc. because macs are ready for the internet, right out of the box.

I use my PC for entertainment, the only thing I use for work is a word processor, which they also have on macs.

All my media, text files etc. are compatable with my mac.

All the exe's I use on a PC, they have similar, more powerful applications on a mac.

It doesn't crash, I can be free to use the OS without worrying so much about crashing.

It seems more convienent for my needs, the result?

Since I can install Windows on it, I can sell my PC without worry since everything will be compatable.

I am not saying that mac is better than windows, the name of this topic is not Mac vs. Windows.

But the topic title is "Mac or PC", with you implying Windows for PC.

The mac mini meets my software and hardware needs, I can burn DVD's if I get one.

And yet it uses onboard video, which means that OS X's graphical effects will run slower. Also, just about any computer can burn a DVD these days. Heck, this one can do LiteScribe!

I am not buying a mac just because it looks nice

Good to hear.

I want to make Photos, DVD's, and music, it's just easier to do on a mac because it comes bundled with the OS.

And you can't do that on Windows?

I don't have to worry about all this anti-virus trial software etc. because macs are ready for the internet, right out of the box.

You have not read my post entirely. Go back and read it again. I said _free_ anti-virus. Yes, not every single anti-virus solution out there wants to charge you money just to keep you protected. AVG Free and Avast! are both good free programs that will keep you protected - no trials!

I use my PC for entertainment, the only thing I use for work is a word processor, which they also have on macs.

You have said nothing about entertainment on Macs within that statement.

All my media, text files etc. are compatable with my mac.

It's not about whether your files are compatible with an operating system, it's whether the programs on that operating system can open them. The operating system launches a program which is used to handle the file. If there is an instance where the core operating system handles the file internally, I have not seen it. Well, except for executables, of course.

All the exe's I use on a PC, they have similar, more powerful applications on a mac.

Oh, but I assure you, there are Windows programs out there that only run on Windows. Pretty much everywhere I look, I can find a program that only works on the Windows platform. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to run these natively.

It doesn't crash, I can be free to use the OS without worrying so much about crashing.

More proof that you have not read my post. Read it again.

Since I can install Windows on it, I can sell my PC without worry since everything will be compatable.

Keep in mind, there are legitimate uses for having two computers around, running at the same time. You can use one as a server and another as a personal computer, or conduct experiments in a safe, quarantined environment, without having to worry about blowing up your main computer. You can use a second computer to run old hardware and games that don't fare as well on newer machines. And because they're both physical machines that run on their own hardware, you don't have to deal with the performance loss of running virtualization on a single machine (creates a machine within a machine, splitting resources among them, so to speak).

Edit:

Have you guys even used a mac? I like the old platinum mac OS 9 better than an XP.

OS 9 has to be one of the most useless operating systems I've ever used. OS X beats it by a long shot.

Still Mac os X has a menu on the left side everytime you open a window. It contains a link to get to you hard drive, music, applications, user, documents, movies, pictures, and even lets you view your desktop in windowd form.

I believe Vista can do that now. Also, all versions of Windows to date have been able to view the desktop in a folder view.

The search is also WAY faster than windows search.

Windows XP has a feature to index searches for faster results. Your point?

DashFox2007:

FoxBlitzz:
But the topic title is "Mac or PC", with you implying Windows for PC.

Actually, the whole purpose of this topic was to see who uses a Mac or a PC running on Windows, I didn't expect it to turn into a debate on which OS was better.

DashFox2007:

FoxBlitzz:
And yet it uses onboard video, which means that OS X's graphical effects will run slower. Also, just about any computer can burn a DVD these days. Heck, this one can do LiteScribe!

Mine can't, I'm not debating on general things, in fact all I did was say that I might switch to a Mac, right now I'm talking about the reasons why I want to switch to a Mac, I'm not trying to say that one operating system is better than the other.

DashFox2007:

FoxBlitzz:
And you can't do that on Windows?

No, you can't burn DVD's with Titles and Chapters, with what you're provided with on Windows Xp, in Vista, you can, but only with Home-Premium and Ultimate.

DashFox2007:

FoxBlitzz:
You have not read my post entirely. Go back and read it again. I said _free_ anti-virus. Yes, not every single anti-virus solution out there wants to charge you money just to keep you protected. AVG Free and Avast! are both good free programs that will keep you protected - no trials!

Many PC's come pre-installed with trial anti-virus software, it's annoying to have to see a window pop up and ask me if I want to renew my subscription every time I start my computer, it would be much better if the anti virus software was free and part of the OS.

DashFox2007:
All my media, text files etc. are compatible with my mac.

FoxBlitzz:
It's not about whether your files are compatible with an operating system, it's whether the programs on that operating system can open them. The operating system launches a program which is used to handle the file. If there is an instance where the core operating system handles the file internally, I have not seen it. Well, except for executables, of course.

I'm talking about all the files that I use, which consists of text, media and wads.

DashFox2007:

FoxBlitzz:
Oh, but I assure you, there are Windows programs out there that only run on Windows. Pretty much everywhere I look, I can find a program that only works on the Windows platform. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to run these natively.

I'm talking about what I use personally, I am not speaking in general, all of the applications I use, they have the same exact thing on a mac.

DashFox2007:
Since I can install Windows on it, I can sell my PC without worry since everything will be compatible.

FoxBlitzz:
And because they're both physical machines that run on their own hardware, you don't have to deal with the performance loss of running virtualization on a single machine (creates a machine within a machine, splitting resources among them, so to speak).

Boot camp lets you install the actual operating system, it's not a virtual Xp, and if I want, I could install Vista on there instead.

Many PC's come pre-installed with trial anti-virus software, it's annoying to have to see a window pop up and ask me if I want to renew my subscription every time I start my computer, it would be much better if the anti virus software was free and part of the OS.

Eh, I just uninstall those and install AVG.

Boot camp lets you install the actual operating system, it's not a virtual Xp, and if I want, I could install Vista on there instead.

You just disregarded what I said entirely. I was talking about the advantages of having two computers running at once. Really, it's not a lot of fun rebooting whenever you want to switch OS's. It's more convenient to have two machines running at once, and there are a variety of uses for a second one.

FoxBlitzz said:
You just disregarded what I said entirely. I was talking about the advantages of having two computers running at once.

DashFox2007 said:
I'm talking about what I use personally, I am not speaking in general.

Suppose I can't run two computers at once, what if I only have one electrical outlet for my computer? I'm talking about my personal setting, what computer I need to suit my needs, I'm not ignoring what you say, it's just that most of the things you said don't apply to me or you were talking about something else. I'm really not trying to make a debate here, give me a really good reason why I shouldn't get a mac that applies to me:

I don't use any applications that Mac doesn't have something similar to, so I don't need to use Windows again.

FoxBlitzz said:
And then there's Apple's Safari browser. Touted as the world's best browser when in truth there are more competent browsers, namely Firefox and Opera

Guess what? Look on Apple.com's downloads page and....*gasp* They have Opera and Firefox too!

Foxblitzz said:
"Pretty much during typical use" implies that you have never used a Windows system, and further disproves your credibility.

DashFox2007 said:
I simply must switch to a mac!

I'm using a windows system right now, how can I switch to a mac if I already have one?

I may not have anything good other than an Android phone but I'm going to say PC because I've seen so much support for PC and literally nothing else, for crying out loud the only way to add mods to Sonic CD is via steam resources and the resources they hand out is a exe file.

In general PC is so much better right now because it's gotten a lot better over the years through constant updates while Mac has gotten almost entirely tossed to the side in terms of support from official companies, the thing that really caused this to spike was steam's rise in popularity and power because steam really does focus more on PC.

Well that's my awnser and opinion.

PC, Windows.

I think this two are the best, but... i maybe would give a try to things like Mac, Android, etc.

Please don't bump decade old discussions...

Amazingly, this thread is actually okay to bump, because people are actually adding things to the topic. I'm still going to warn the person who did it not to do this, though, because it clearly didn't have very much thought put into the decision to do so.

Amazingly, this thread is actually okay to bump, because people are actually adding things to the topic.

If so that's fine. I become irritated at times when I see it, though.

To add on the topic.
I've tried many operating systems.
I started with Win98 SE, 2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1...
Was forced to work with Macs, neither seemed perfect.

I don't really like the creaky old unstable Windows. Windows 10 still seems especially wonky and curious to me but we have to live with it in one way or another.

Neither do I like to play by Apple's rules. macOS is pretty stable and very usable to the average Joe if they want to afford it, though.

I like Linux and started to adopt it as a desktop OS as of recently. It took me a few offs and gos but it is the best operating system to me on a desktop and on a server.
It certainly isn't for anyone but it has gotten a lot more accessible in the past years. There still is a certain RTFM mindset in many Linux/UNIX-Geeks (excuse my language if you read that one out loud in your mind). I am currently trying openSUSE on the desktop, I tried a few Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat derivatives over the years.

I may not have anything good other than an Android phone but I'm going to say PC because I've seen so much support for PC and literally nothing else, for crying out loud the only way to add mods to Sonic CD is via steam resources and the resources they hand out is a exe file.

In general PC is so much better right now because it's gotten a lot better over the years through constant updates while Mac has gotten almost entirely tossed to the side in terms of support from official companies, the thing that really caused this to spike was steam's rise in popularity and power because steam really does focus more on PC.

Well that's my awnser and opinion.

Well, for gaming team Windows wins but there have been lots of efforts like Steam Proton (Valve really wants platform independence) and Lutris.
You can game on Linux if you are willing to jump through a few hoops.

Last edited:
I'd choose PC. Specifically for Windows 8.1. It's the least intensive on your RAM leaving more of it for games and programs. I have no Idea why is use this OS, but I really like it. I like the UI, and the file system.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back