SRB2 in VR?

Kaylie

she/her
Could it be possible to play SRB2 in VR? I think it's possible to play Doom 1 in VR, so why not SRB2? (I know this sounds kinda dumb but I just want to play SRB2 in VR okay)

You'd have to make a custom EXE that specifically works with VR hardware, and it would have to draw the screen twice. You'd probably only be able to run it in OGL for it to be anywhere near playable.

That's not a proof of concept, that's just SteamVR Home but with SRB2 textures. SRB2 in VR would make you really motion-sick anyway since the max framerate is only 35fps while even the budget headsets run at at least 72, not to mention teleportation motion really wouldn't work and standard motion would probably make you motion sick with how fast it goes, even if it did manage whatever FPS your headset supports...

That's not a proof of concept, that's just SteamVR Home but with SRB2 textures. SRB2 in VR would make you really motion-sick anyway since the max framerate is only 35fps while even the budget headsets run at at least 72, not to mention teleportation motion really wouldn't work and standard motion would probably make you motion sick with how fast it goes, even if it did manage whatever FPS your headset supports...

Well, fair point.

I’ve actually played SRB2 in pseudo-VR. I used an app that allows you to load non VR games as a “screen” in front of you. So I pulled the screen forward in the VR space to take up all of my vision, set it to first person and played with the mouse and keyboard while I wore my headset. It was a super fun experience, and I’d love to see proper VR support someday. It should be noted I don’t suffer from motion sickness in VR, and it may be a jarring experience to anyone who does.

That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea, 30 fps in VR is just asking for headaches and vomiting, especially with a game on the Doom engine.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back