The Nintendo Wii - SRB2's big break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overwhelming evidence that SEGA turns a blind eye to the activity of it's fans, save outright sale of pirated products. =P

Personally, I don't think it's a blind eye, I think it's free advertising. People who haven't played Sonic in years come in and play SRB2, and may be interested in purchasing a new Sonic title they wouldn't otherwise have done. Not to mention a significant portion of their hardcore fanbase would be very annoyed if they shut us down. It just doesn't make business sense to sue your fans.

So I guess we couldn't sneek around without Sega's knowing it, but I have heard of websites with programs that if you burn on a mini CD they could be played on a Gamecube, so maybe we are looking at the wrong system. We could sell blank mini CD's and then let people download the program. (If someone could change the engine to something Sega owns like another Sonic game, then all we would need is permission from Sega to get it on Wii)

We aren't trying to sell anything. The only reason for speculating on what consoles SRB2 can be ported to is to make the game that much more fun.

I would think the main point of this thread is to try and port SRB2 over to the Wii, not sell it after. :| It might actually be possible depending on how the Wii is handled. As the first post just stated, small time developers could develope for the Wii, who said it nessesarily had to be sold? (Well, aside from the fact it mentioned budgets...)

If all you people are so eager to port SRB2 to some darn console, take advantage of this or something. I don't see SRB2 running perfectly on the Dreamcast just yet. :P

JJames19119 said:
I would think the main point of this thread is to try and port SRB2 over to the Wii, not sell it after. :| It might actually be possible depending on how the Wii is handled. As the first post just stated, small time developers could develope for the Wii, who said it nessesarily had to be sold? (Well, aside from the fact it mentioned budgets...)

If all you people are so eager to port SRB2 to some darn console, take advantage of this or something. I don't see SRB2 running perfectly on the Dreamcast just yet. :P

That's not the point. Even if it's NOT sold, Sega might very well take offense if a Sonic game not made by them ends up on an official video game console in a form that thousands of people have access to.

Official Sonic games are on Windows aren't they? :P

They're on the Dreamcast too though Sega abandoned that system.

Arrow does have a slight point there. The Wii is a next gen console, it's obviously gonna be extremely popular and have headlines all over the darn thing like the Xbox360 and PS3. Though the PS3 will be getting bad headlines, I can assure you of that. :P But that's a different story. It's really difficult to tell how Sega really would react. Yes, it would be in a form that many people can easily use and have access to but in a way, isn't it like that now on Windows systems?

And besides that Arrow, I was more or less talking about the people who were talking about selling it anyway. Give them a hand for wanting to be sued. :P

Arrow said:
JJames19119 said:

That's not the point. Even if it's NOT sold, Sega might very well take offense if a Sonic game not made by them ends up on an official video game console in a form that thousands of people have access to.

Plus, I don't particularly want to see the game sold. It would, of course, but utterly sweet if SRB2 somehow made it's way onto a commercial console, like the Wii (such as the truly awesome Cave Story is looking to do for the Wii), but it was a labour of love (uh, well... ;D) not profit. It would nice if the game could transform me into a millionaire, but I don't feel it'd be fair to our fanbase.

--
Johnny

JJames19119 said:
Official Sonic games are on Windows aren't they? :P

They're on the Dreamcast too though Sega abandoned that system.

Arrow does have a slight point there. The Wii is a next gen console, it's obviously gonna be extremely popular and have headlines all over the darn thing like the Xbox360 and PS3. Though the PS3 will be getting bad headlines, I can assure you of that. :P But that's a different story. It's really difficult to tell how Sega really would react. Yes, it would be in a form that many people can easily use and have access to but in a way, isn't it like that now on Windows systems?

And besides that Arrow, I was more or less talking about the people who were talking about selling it anyway. Give them a hand for wanting to be sued. :P

Windows is worse, because everybody has a PC, but not a $299.99 (see, less than $300, right, Ninty? :P) game system.

Shadow Hog said:
Because Alien Hominid was an original franchise (not a fangame), and SRB2 is not.

Seriously, guys. SEGA OWNS SONIC. You CANNOT publish a game starring their character for a profit, without their consent. You really need to stop treating it like it is its own franchise. Heck, even if AJ could just say "the Hell with it" and remove all the Sonic elements entirely, he'd still have the license for the DOOM engine to work out... and the game seriously does not look Wii-calibur. As a fangame, that's fine, it doesn't have to be. As a product released into the market for profit, you're damn well right it'd have to have something eye-catching, or else its likelihood of failing would increase quite a bit.

take it from n00bert MCn00benhimer (me), but i have an idea. say that the wii had a web browser. make a wii downloadable version of srb2. or atl least a gamecube downloadable. that should help given the fact that sega or nintendo dont kill about that(and by kill i mean get really pissed)

Shadow Hog said:
Because Alien Hominid was an original franchise (not a fangame), and SRB2 is not.

Seriously, guys. SEGA OWNS SONIC. You CANNOT publish a game starring their character for a profit, without their consent. You really need to stop treating it like it is its own franchise. Heck, even if AJ could just say "the Hell with it" and remove all the Sonic elements entirely, he'd still have the license for the DOOM engine to work out... and the game seriously does not look Wii-calibur. As a fangame, that's fine, it doesn't have to be. As a product released into the market for profit, you're damn well right it'd have to have something eye-catching, or else its likelihood of failing would increase quite a bit.

....ok please ignore that last post.....

Dark Warrior said:
Overwhelming evidence that SEGA turns a blind eye to the activity of it's fans, save outright sale of pirated products. =P

Sorry, no. Ever been to SonicStrike's ROM section? Therein lies proof that SEGA could care less about stuff like that; It had been alive and well for some time, and then they posted the Sonic Advance 3 beta. Sega kindly contacted them to take it down, but only until the final game was out, and left the rest of the site alone. SAdv3 was then reposted when the full game came out and Sega was fine with it.

Not to mention the dozens of ripped Sega soundtracks that are on the site as well. So... yeah.

Yeah, I dunno what's with Sega, sometimes.

JohnnyWallbank said:
Plus, I don't particularly want to see the game sold. It would, of course, but utterly sweet if SRB2 somehow made it's way onto a commercial console, like the Wii (such as the truly awesome Cave Story is looking to do for the Wii), but it was a labour of love (uh, well... ;D) not profit.
Either you meant PSP, or I need an explanation, ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back