GFZ Discussion

My problem with GFZ is that it's too short. I think you can take both acts and combine them into one act and have a unique second act. However, it's still a really good tutorial level. I especially like the 2nd act, as it shows off the rolling momentum in some parts, like the beginning and the near end. What about you? What do you like and dislike about GFZ?

Cliff notes:

• The length of GFZ is perfectly fine. It shouldn't be any longer or shorter.
  • Everything before the tunnel in GFZ1 kinda sucks. Especially the cramped twisted corridor after the bridge.
  • GFZ2 is ace. I'm not sure if I would change anything about it.

honestly i do kind of agree with the notion that gfz is too short. even on a normal playthrough without speedrunning, all three acts can be completed in about seven minutes tops. i also do agree at the fact that...yeah, the parts before the tunnel are very cramped and don't lend well to maintaining speed, and i personally really dislike them. otherwise, though, i think gfz is a great zone which eases the player into the game's mechanics, with secrets coming out of its ears.

honestly i do kind of agree with the notion that gfz is too short. even on a normal playthrough without speedrunning, all three acts can be completed in about seven minutes tops. i also do agree at the fact that...yeah, the parts before the tunnel are very cramped and don't lend well to maintaining speed, and i personally really dislike them. otherwise, though, i think gfz is a great zone which eases the player into the game's mechanics, with secrets coming out of its ears.

You can beat gfz in its entirety in 2 minutes... That's how short it is.

It's short if you rush through it, new players will have a blast exploring. I spent over 10 minutes in GFZ1 alone when 2.2 dropped, and I'm not even new to the game. You gotta think from the perspective of a new player.

Both acts of Greenflower Zone are fantastic! They are very friendly to newcomers and invite lots and lots of exploration that's honestly still fun for me even now. Exploring the zone is often rewarded with an introduction to a game mechanic, like the shields in Act 1, or the spring shenanigans and character path split in Act 2. The only problem I have with the zone is that the first section of Act 2 can be easy to get lost in as Tails or Knuckles, who I imagine new players will be very tempted to explore as.

Although I do agree with the feeling of “being cramped in” before the tunnel in Act 1, I do think that GFZ1 and GFZ2 are perfectly fine as is! From a new players perspective, even as short as we see the level now, the first level took me at least 7-10 minutes to beat because of how much I wanted to take it all in, and around 11-12 in the next! This is decades worth of work point into the beginning act of this game and I think that it perfectly represents what a starter zone should truly be. What’s fun is that although the length of both levels are relatively short, sense you’re gonna be exploring the most in the first couple levels, length doesn’t matter anymore as now you can have so many things hidden around for players to explore for minutes. So tbh I don’t really have a problem with GFZ.

If there is one thing I wish GFZ did better, it's introduce the player more to the concept of maintaining speed and using it to get to high places. This very much is possible to do in the current version, especially compared to past versions. However, I would like to see it done in a way that's easier for new players to figure out and do. The physics we have now are partially to blame for this, and so it is forgivable, but I do hope that future versions address this in some form. I won't throw a fit or anything if not, it's just something I would really like to see.

I love that character-specific path split in Act 2 in that place where 2.1 had just a simple thok-able corridor. A pretty good change

Also, the full zone plays pretty well with every single character (Tails and Knuckles are the most useful for finding secrets)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back