Enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I doubt this will help much.

This may sound wierd, but I was a "omg leik ur a jerk!!!!111 :( :( :(" once.
and I distinkly remember I completely disregarded anything like this thread. I doubt any of the people who would do any of that would care you told them not to. It's just the way things work.

Which is why I'm adsressing the person who will listen (the administrator) and not the end-user who won't (the idiot), Draykon.

I think we should just make the first rule infraction a tempban. It may not seem fair, but we could justify it by forcing people to read the rules.

That's probably a bit harsh, in my mind. Yes, it'd be effective in dealing with the utter idiots, but it'd be a bit harsh on the considerably more innocent newbies.

Well, the three strikes rule isn't doing so good, is it? What do you think we should do?

Shadow Hog said:
That's probably a bit harsh, in my mind. Yes, it'd be effective in dealing with the utter idiots, but it'd be a bit harsh on the considerably more innocent newbies.

But you dont understand that people just join the forum, without reading any of the rules...
Thats what causes all these n00b topics...

The most reasonable explination for these n00bs, is because they dont read... Look in the releases forum, that forum is for releasing creation's that you have made, and like that forum, Its like the editing forum... They dont post screenshots or proof of the project... they just talk about the project, Its lame... Even when there Is a IMPORTANT topic on the top of the forum...

Proof that n00bs cant read.

Mmm, here's an idea. Toss in a rule that the first post any newbie makes must start with a particular sentence. If it's found that any newbie makes their first post WITHOUT having that sentence, they obviously didn't read the rules and get a tempban.

Harsh, but it promotes rule-reading.

I'm surprised you didn't mention bots in that first post, Shadow Hog.

I would Highly suggest installing a script that would probably record the IP address of the person who is sending these bots. So when a second bot tries to join (after the first bot got banned) the Bot wont be able to join.

I belive I have the super natural solution to this problem. Don't look at and open up topics that a n00b has posted saying "LOLZ?!?!LOKIE!?!". Simple as that. I know spaming can get annoying, but you can't fix it. Stop complaining and go act emo at some other forum.

I didn't mention bots because they're out of the scope of what I'm concerned with. They suck, but easily dealt with. Utter n00bs, not so much.

Shadow Hog, you are a Freakin' GOD!!!

I don't Understand why new folks (newbs) won't read the Rules. Thus, their First Topic becomes their end of New-ness and Begin to Noob-ness.

Quite Frankly, I find it Pathetic. It's Common Descency, so use it! Personally, I didn't read the Rules right off. Okay, but I was used to Forums. I know How they work. What Makes you good, bad ETC. Trial and Error so to Speak.

Just. Freaking. Read. The. Freaking. Rules.

Face it, this is Just irratating now. The Only Time I come here now is to Discuss the New Wads that Come out. If it's my taste, I DL it, If I don't, then I don't. GTF over it, Pl0x.

Com said:
I belive I have the super natural solution to this problem. Don't look at and open up topics that a n00b has posted saying "LOLZ?!?!LOKIE!?!". Simple as that. I know spaming can get annoying, but you can't fix it. Stop complaining and go act emo at some other forum.
I have just taken a number two in your cereal. The solution? Eat around the fecal matter, simple as that. I know that it makes for quite an unsavory breakfast, but the milk is starting to turn brown, you can't fix it now. Stop complaining and pour yourself another bowl of cereal. But wait, you're all out of SRB2-related cereal, aren't you? Pity, I suppose you're just going to have to go hungry.

With that said, Ritz4mod

Ritz said:
Com said:
I have just taken a number two in your cereal. The solution? Eat around the fecal matter, simple as that. I know that it makes for quite an unsavory breakfast, but the milk is starting to turn brown, you can't fix it now. Stop complaining and pour yourself another bowl of cereal.

With that said, Ritz4mod

Indeed.

Flame_the_Hedgehog said:
how bout making this an Announcement on all the sub-forums then?, Im sure n00bs would read that
And I'm sure they wouldn't. I've dealt with n00bs enough to know that they rarely read anything that is important.

Neo Chaotikal said:
I'm quite surprised you still have the mind to do this, Shadow Hog. As for myself, I've quite basically just given up on these forums. This situation did not exist before, and this can only mean that the current administration is simply not sufficient to keep the forums at a sane level. Because, let's face it: idiots are always idiots and thusly must be dealt with directly, not try to reason with them, because they just won't listen.

When Mystic said on IRC a couple of weeks ago that the forums needed reworking and they were gonna do something about it, I thought that finally the rules would actually be enforced and that the forums would be stricter. Turns out the only thing we got was a handfull of new moderators which can do what, lock, edit and delete topics and issue warnings? That doesn't help when the rules themselves aren't being applied.

That being said, I'm gladly ******* on these forums until someone decides to stand up and bloody do something about it. It's just not worth it.
Well, I don't know about any of the other mods or admins, but I'm doing my part to try to keep things under control. I've been issuing warnings every time I see users breaking rules.

Neo Chaotikal said:
The thing is, most of the times the strikes aren't even being applied.
Now that's just plain not true. We've issued around 60 warnings since the new system began. We issue them over PM, so you never actually see us giving the warning.

Shadow Hog said:
Mmm, here's an idea. Toss in a rule that the first post any newbie makes must start with a particular sentence. If it's found that any newbie makes their first post WITHOUT having that sentence, they obviously didn't read the rules and get a tempban.

This method would also get rid of people like me, who didn't read the rules, but just used common sense instead.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
I would Highly suggest installing a script that would probably record the IP address of the person who is sending these bots. So when a second bot tries to join (after the first bot got banned) the Bot wont be able to join.
Admins can see the IP address of any user that posts on the boards. None of the bots have the same IP, so we can't just set an IP ban and be done with them. I've done a few small things to keep a few of them out, but what we really need to do is turn email verification back on. I've asked Mystic about it a few times before, but apparently I'm not getting through.

---

I realize there are many more n00bs than there used to be. We are trying our best to deal with them, but we can't really stay here 24/7 watching over the boards, waiting to snipe the n00b the second he makes a mistake.

FuriousFox said:
we can't really stay here 24/7 watching over the boards, waiting to snipe the n00b the second he makes a mistake.

>.>

I can-*mauled*

FuriousFox said:
Shadow Hog said:

This method would also get rid of people like me, who didn't read the rules, but just used common sense instead.
Not quite. Naturally, if the person in question exhibited a decent grasp of basic netiquette, a tempban wouldn't be necessary.

What a lot of you aren't getting is that 90% of n00bs just don't CARE about rule infractions. Seriously, I've seen my siblings get banned/suspended for acting like idiots on other boards. They're warned, and they ignore it. I then ask them why they ignored the infractions, and the answer is always the same:
Rules bore me. I just wanted to have fun. (Insert long sentence on them obeying the rules because of the suspension.)

Adding new rules, stickying new topics, all the works, it's not going to really help any. The suspensions however, tend to be a good motivator. I've witnessed this secondhand. It scares them into behaving. But a warning system won't help, save SFGHQ's, which marked them down for a long time, and only made them look bad in public eyes. Actually, that would be a better approach, is to use things they hate to knock some sense into them. A private warning isn't getting through to them. Humiliation is a good motivator for behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back