SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Default Sonic & Knuckles Collection

I always wondered why Sega decided to port Sonic 3 & Knuckles to PC (along with Sonic CD and the Saturn version of 3D Blast) out of all game (while not doing the same for Sonic 1 and 2 until they made the Windows version of Mega Collection Plus). They've also put a midi soundtrack even if they could've recorded the tracks and looped them back then.

Furthermore they decided to put the prototype musics instead of the final game's (a theory about the fact that midi couldn't sample some effects in Ice Cap or Carnival Night).

I'm still glad that this version was a thing for PC players in the 90's but this is a strange choice honestly.

PS: I know that playing Angel Island Revisited or 3 Complete is a better way to enjoy the game on PC but I want to hear your opinion on that particular version of the game.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Jonster
[Insert meme here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I always wondered why Sega decided to port Sonic 3 & Knuckles to PC (along with Sonic CD and the Saturn version of 3D Blast) out of all game (while not doing the same for Sonic 1 and 2 until they made the Windows version of Mega Collection Plus). They've also put a midi soundtrack even if they could've recorded the tracks and looped them back then.

Furthermore they decided to put the prototype musics instead of the final game's (a theory about the fact that midi couldn't sample some effects in Ice Cap or Carnival Night).

I'm still glad that this version was a thing for PC players in the 90's but this is a strange choice honestly.

PS: I know that playing Angel Island Revisited or 3 Complete is a better way to enjoy the game on PC but I want to hear your opinion on that particular version of the game.
Never played it, but it look's fine, I guess. There's a reason to why people often don't play that version. About the specific port thing, these games were part of the "Sega PC" thing that happened back in the 90's, where a small team at Sega would port various games to PC. Midis were used probably because they were popular I guess??? I honestly have no idea. And I'm pretty sure we all know why the collection uses the prototype music insteadof the final music.
(Discord: Jonster The 1st#5263(also I have a server https://discord.gg/gGxQR7))
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote