• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 The Apocalypse Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTapeworm

Midnight Abyss did nothing wrong
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
A mod I'm working on. Anyways, Eggman builds a badnik-making machine and tries to shove Sonic through it. Sonic chases after him though several zones and may or may not go into space to ruin Eggman's dumb plan.

Some things include:
*Nonlinear level design, filled with secret routes and tunnels.
*Custom music for some levels.
*Custom graphics, like tall palm trees. (Note that these are not palm trees from Mystic Realm, they are from Sonic Advance.)
*SOCced enemies, like an upgraded CastlebotFacestabber that constantly thrusts torwards you.

And here's some screenshots, because you can't live without screenshots.
srb20029.png

srb20031.png

Paradise Shores Zone, the obligatory grassy first level
srb20026.png

srb20028.png

Glistening Mine Zone, Eggman's abandoned underground fortress with level design based on a very VERY old mine themed level I made back in the 1.09.4 days.

srb20033.png

Preview of PSZ3's boss arena, the egg capsule and the new FaceStabber behavior.

I like that idea of mixing grass with ACZ rocks, it works surprisingly well. I also like those wooden bridges, they have a nice sense of detail. The first screenshot looks a tad flat, but that might just be due to the area it was taken in. The second one is not flat at all. I don't think Crawlas are such a great choice, even if it's the first level. Go with Green Snappers, they fit the theme much better.

The other zone suffers from the Mine Maze textures. While the rest of the design doesn't look bad, those textures make it feel like a 1.09.4 relic. We have a lot more texture choices now, and I bet there are more interesting options.

Well, I don't think it looks like a 1.09.4 relic because of the textures he used; it looks like a 1.09.4 relic because of how he used them. RVZ makes very frequent use of the Mine Maze textures, but uses them artfully and with tremendous detail. If only Glistening Mine had that kind of detail, I don't think anyone would question the use of those textures. They might question the use of a somewhat tired theme, though.

The crates in that first Glistening Mine Screenshot look 8 fracunits too tall, by the way.

Paradise Shores is a cool looking texture combination, but I think you need to align the textures a bit more religiously, particularly in the boss level.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think it looks like a 1.09.4 relic because of the textures he used; it looks like a 1.09.4 relic because of how he used them. RVZ makes very frequent use of the Mine Maze textures, but uses them artfully and with tremendous detail. If only Glistening Mine had that kind of detail, I don't think anyone would question the use of those textures. They might question the use of a somewhat tired theme, though.
Even RVZ uses them too much for my tastes, but you have a point there. Most importantly, you need to use more than one of the Mine Maze textures. They are available in different colors. The best use for these textures is when interspersed with others.

This mod looks really cool! I can't wait to play it once it's done. The ACZ rocks fit well with the grass texture. Good job!

Hello everybody! I would like you to meet the Ultrabotizer.
xsrb0001.png

(picture was taken in XSRB2 for unknown reasons)
This baby churns out badniks like there's no tomorrow while trying to dump you onto a damaging floor with the conveyor belt. It serves as the fake final boss. The real one? Let's just say one thing...did you get all those Chaos Emeralds?

...So it's just the Deep Sea boss using Chaos spawners.

...I dunno, for such an important boss (Fawx Final), this sounds pretty basic. Like... Zone 2-3 or so. I mean, Summoner bosses are okay, but Eggman is just the same DSZ boss. You're taking what is the third zone boss and slap the "summoner" role on him, and made him Fawx Final? Sounds kind of weaksauce. That's like giving Cutman the ability to fire two more Rolling Cutters and putting him in Wily Stage 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back