• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Whackjood's level design shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to literally "light up" the textures while keeping the area dark like in Tron? If so, then you should totally do that, it'd be really dang cool.

Also, the pillars look like lights so it feels really weird to have them be dark like that.

Is it possible to literally "light up" the textures while keeping the area dark like in Tron? If so, then you should totally do that, it'd be really dang cool.

Also, the pillars look like lights so it feels really weird to have them be dark like that.

That can be faked. Make the sector the player is in dark, but have a tiny border sector just a few fracunits wide at full brightness so the wall looks like it's lit up.

As a matter of fact, yes it is!

719093coterj020fg.jpg

also good catch on the pillars, I initially made them 'glow' along with the cyber walls but in doing so it didn't make sense to have the room get darker near the ceiling. So I replaced them with a different texture entirely.

I'll keep some ERZ textures there simply to add some contrast and to make the glowing cyber textures pop out by being next to textures which don't have the fake tron lighting applied.

Oh my god! This is looking fantastic in every part you edit! A few scenery down that area (windows) would be nice and make it really fantastic. That Tron idea was nice, but it (slightly) fit with the ERZ textures.

That image creates a very weird optical illusion. It makes it look like the walls with the digital textures are actually attached to the corners of the elevator instead.

Last edited:
Oh my god! This is looking fantastic in every part you edit! A few scenery down that area (windows) would be nice and make it really fantastic. That Tron idea was nice, but it (slightly) fit with the ERZ textures.
Windows would look ugly. Maybe like monitors or something, but not windows.
... What even gave you that idea?

<@IceDragon404> I've always wanted to see a gif of how the transition from room to room is like
<Whackjood> THEN I'LL HAVE TO MAKE ONE

4owy3t4omnbtdm5fg.jpg

gif is missing the teleport flash but oh well, it also illustrates an issue I'm having with the Sea Egg.

Boss rush map is pretty much almost finished, but I need some help. I've been trying to learn Lua but I cannot wrap my head around it at all and I feel pretty scummy having to ask for someone to do this for me, but I think that's what I'm gonna have to do!

If possible, I would very much appreciate it if someone could make some kind of boss activation linedef for the Egg Slimer, Sea Egg, and Eggscalibur. Also I'm in need of a linedef type that specifically executes on the pinch phase for Eggscalibur, New Brak and Old Brak.

Furthermore I'm having a few issues with Metal Sonic. During his first five hits his energy balls aren't spawning, he's going through charge animation but he doesn't actually fire anything. The documentation on Metal Sonic on the wiki is... lacking, so is there anything I need to do to set him up correctly?

ALSO, on a lighter note, I'm looking for music for the wad. I'm currently using this as a placeholder but obviously I won't be using this for the released product, any suggestions on what I could replace it with?

Furthermore I'm having a few issues with Metal Sonic. During his first five hits his energy balls aren't spawning, he's going through charge animation but he doesn't actually fire anything. The documentation on Metal Sonic on the wiki is... lacking, so is there anything I need to do to set him up correctly??
You need to place at least one Metal Sonic Waypoint in the arena.

I actually wouldn't mind see someone recreate this just for this map specifically. Seems to fit for a boss rush and really gets the player pumped and ready for anything to come.

If somebody makes a MIDI of it, I'll run it through the SRB2 Noise Maker(tm).

As for a boss activation linedef... I think as long as you have onesided linedefs totally separating the arenas, they won't wake up. Sound/sight won't travel through 1 sided linedefs.

As for a boss activation linedef... I think as long as you have onesided linedefs totally separating the arenas, they won't wake up. Sound/sight won't travel through 1 sided linedefs.
The boss arenas are already completely seperate from each other. Bosses that wake up on seeing the player are fine, the issue is that Eggscalibur, Sea Egg and Egg Slimer start moving on spawn. Egg Slimer is just a minor nuisance, Sea Egg is a little annoying but not a game breaker, Eggscalibur is a big problem because despite being a long way away the player still hears the noises he makes and has to deal with the screen shaking upon level load.

I don't know if that is fitting at all considering the stage is ERZ themed, but what about this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joh7DevzAMg
Actually, that's a pretty good choice. If the current plan people are discussing to use the boss remix doesn't work out, then I'll probably use this instead.

719093coterj020fg.jpg

I do not really like the visuals in there, I prefer the one that are already in the game, as they also fit with the level's theme rather than this... Stritcly my point after all, feel free to ignore.

I do not really like the visuals in there, I prefer the one that are already in the game, as they also fit with the level's theme rather than this... Stritcly my point after all, feel free to ignore.
That's a fair enough opinion to have. Honestly I'm growing less fond of the theme, especially while trying to come up with good ideas to use it in the Brak fights. So I'm probably going to go back to the drawing board thematically for Metal Sonic and the Braks.

ALSO, on a lighter note, I'm looking for music for the wad. I'm currently using this as a placeholder but obviously I won't be using this for the released product, any suggestions on what I could replace it with?

If this is still a thing, then I'd like to post some suggestions.

"Endless Stage", Mega Man 9
"Endless Struggle", Mega Man 10
"Eastern Judgement in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years", Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View
"Magus Night", Touhou 12.8: Great Fairy Wars
"Johnathan Taylor Thomas/Epic Battle", Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Evil Robot's theme, Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch
"Skull Heart Arrythmia", Skullgirls
"Witch Hunting", Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
"Demon's Thrill", Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
"Dramatic Devil Story", Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
"Flimsy", Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
"One Mustn't Fall", Tyrian 2000
"Seven Force", Gunstar Heroes
"Fight Against Smithy", Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
"Final Attack(Dencyu's Arranged Version)", Metal Slug 5

...or that SRB2 boss theme remix linked earlier, if the voice clips are taken out. That one works too.

Also, question: In that GIF of the Egg Slimer -> Sea Egg transition, I see that the player goes directly from boss arena to boss arena. Does that mean that there won't be any checkpoints? Does that mean that if I die fighting Brak Eggman I have to go through all the bosses again? I don't oppose this idea, in fact if this was my map I'd do it that way, but I'm curious.

Oh my that's quite a few music suggestions. I'll take a look through all of them when I get time.

Also, question: In that GIF of the Egg Slimer -> Sea Egg transition, I see that the player goes directly from boss arena to boss arena. Does that mean that there won't be any checkpoints?
Indeed, no checkpoints are planned. Sucks to be you if you loose your rings in the Sea Egg's water!

Also, on a visual design related note. I've been trying out something new and I want some opinions. I've gotten ahold of Nev3r's old unused Death Egg Zone texture set and I'm trying to use it to spruce up the final 3 boss arenas. But the custom colourmap the textures use fades very abruptly from grey to blue so I need a little help deciding whether to use the colormap or not as a result.

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + visible colourmap fade

u1t4j2i2sf14j5kfg.jpg

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + full brightness

1qvn5y6a4deemqhfg.jpg

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & default colour palette

spzwsb59a985q59fg.jpg
Opinions?

EDIT:
<katsy> btw Whackjood fwiw if you can manage to enable mf_nothink flag on the bosses they will freeze in their tracks
<katsy> it even stops eggscalibur cage from dropping
<katsy> you'd just need to add it to those bosses when the map loads
<katsy> and disable it when you enter their arenas
THIS IS USEFUL INFORMATION, shame I have no idea how to implement it because Lua is a brick wall to me.

Last edited:
Oh my that's quite a few music suggestions. I'll take a look through all of them when I get time.

Yeah, sorry about that... Hehe, I just started thinking "Hm, if I had to make a boss rush map, what song would I use?" and then before I knew it, that huge-ass list appeared in my screen.

Indeed, no checkpoints are planned. Sucks to be you if you loose your rings in the Sea Egg's water!

Awesome, I was looking forward to having to do it all in a single shot. However, what about the rings? Are the ones in the arenas going to be kept there? Or is the player going to be given 3 or so rings at the beginning to hold onto?

Also, on a visual design related note. I've been trying out something new and I want some opinions. I've gotten ahold of Nev3r's old unused Death Egg Zone texture set and I'm trying to use it to spruce up the final 3 boss arenas. But the custom colourmap the textures use fades very abruptly from grey to blue so I need a little help deciding whether to use the colormap or not as a result.

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + visible colourmap fade

u1t4j2i2sf14j5kfg.jpg
Opinions?

This blue one looks the best, IMO. The second, white-ish one looks horrible and unfitting, and the third, green one looks like it should be used in a Metropolis Zone-like stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back