Suggestions

Having a menu that allows you to change your configs and being able to load multiple configs would be really nice and maybe would avoid getting configs reseted when corrupted

I had an idea of a potential move to give Sonic when his thok is replaced: "Drop Bounce". In the past I have suggested giving Sonic the SA2 bounce, but it seems to have been met with criticism that it would require a level of precision that new players can't be expected to perform. I still disagree, but I thought up a solution regardless.

The "Drop Bounce" idea I had works as follows:

-While in a jump state, the player can press jump again to enter a preparation state, with a visual and audio indication similar to when the player is entering a Drop Dash. This does not shoot Sonic downward, but rather he finishes his jump normally as if jump hadn't been pressed again at all. When touching the ground, the player will bounce back up into the air immediately, reaching ordinary jump height. This height is boosted somewhat by landing on a monitor or badnik instead of the ground. From here, the player can press jump again at any time to uncurl into a double jump that leaves Sonic vulnerable but grants him additional height. Sonic can still use shield powers in this state, so for example if you want to turn it into a triple jump with the whirlwind shield or electric shield, you can.

-If the player is in the preparation state and touches a wall instead of an enemy, monitor, or the floor, it will send Sonic straight up, giving him a little bit of a boost over his normal jump height to help clear certain cliffs he otherwise couldn't reach.

-If the player jumps from a high cliff and enters the preparation state, they will bounce back up just as high as they fell from after hitting the ground. Hitting a badnik or monitor adds a bit of height.

-If the player is in the preparation state and is physically touched by an enemy in a way that wouldn't hurt the enemy, the state is canceled and Sonic takes a hit. If he is touched by a projectile fired by a non-player, it is returned in the direction it was sent. In PvP, projectiles fired by players will cause Sonic to take a hit.

-Because the preparation state does not shoot Sonic downward, the player should have plenty of control over where Sonic lands, the same amount of control as usual.

-After transforming into Super Sonic, Sonic can enter the preparation state again after performing a double jump out of the bounce. This can allow Sonic to slowly gain height so long as he doesn't touch a bottomless pit, which will still kill him.

Bouncing is Fang's gimmick. I don't really like most ideas for a thok replacement, most of them are just boring like the drop dash or the double jump. Double jump has a low skill ceiling and makes platforming easy, drop dash in my experience was hard to aim in simple mode but im the only one who uses simple so :/ oh and i just find it boring too.
Don't really care for replacing Sonic's ability, especially if nobody has any decent ideas.
In my opinion I think the thok is actually well designed, and I think i've gone into HUGE detail why i think that.

And yeah, the lost world bounce LUA is fun, but i dont think it really fits.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Maybe they could change the HUD? Currently it's just the Sonic 2 HUD so maybe in future versions they could have a new HUD specifically made for SRB2.
I agree with making the bubble spots easier to spot, and easier to get air from.

Last edited:
Don't really care for replacing Sonic's ability, especially if nobody has any decent ideas.
In my opinion I think the thok is actually well designed, and I think i've gone into HUGE detail why i think that.

I'm a thok fan too. If it was up to me, Sonic would keep thok for sure. Problem is, they've made it clear many times that they are mandating Sonic's move be changed to something more "beginner friendly" in probably the next major update, with thok likely being moved somewhere else, potentially Metal Sonic.

As such, the way I see it, if Sonic's moveset needs to change, it might as well change to something fitting to the character that is also fun and easy to use. Pretty much everyone seems to agree that just an ordinary double jump would be a pretty boring thing to switch over to. However, it's probably among the most straightforward and practical moves as well, so some variation on it that makes it less boring is probably the right way to go.

Yes, Fang bounces. However, not all bounces are the same. There's different ways for characters to perform a bounce move, and not all of these ways share the same practical purpose. Fang in particular is able to maintain his bounce state for prolonged periods of time and can avoid lava damage using it. My proposed "Drop Bounce" only allows for a single bounce at a time, doesn't defend from lava, and is intended more as a modified double jump concept than as anything like the SA2 or Lost World bounces. Integrating bounces into doing a double jump would make Sonic more unique among the vast array of double jumping video game characters, and would be more fun than a simple double jump as well.

The difference in practical application of different bounces allows two characters to be every bit as different as Knuckles is from Tails. As such, to say that Sonic shouldn't bounce at all because Fang also bounces is a rather silly, shortsighted argument to make.

I still think the homing attack need not be off the table. It may have been abused for poor level design, but the thing to understand is that the original point of it as a move was to simplify hitting enemies in 3D, which is necessarily less precise than in 2D. In a game with physics as floaty as SRB2 in need of a beginner-friendly tool, I think it's not a bad idea. The only thing is that SRB2's acceleration works in such a way that being in the air doesn't slow Sonic down much, meaning the air dash that comes with the HA is not going to be very useful.

I still think the homing attack need not be off the table. It may have been abused for poor level design, but the thing to understand is that the original point of it as a move was to simplify hitting enemies in 3D, which is necessarily less precise than in 2D. In a game with physics as floaty as SRB2 in need of a beginner-friendly tool, I think it's not a bad idea. The only thing is that SRB2's acceleration works in such a way that being in the air doesn't slow Sonic down much, meaning the air dash that comes with the HA is not going to be very useful.

For the most part I would rather wait to see what the new physics are going to be like before completely making up my mind on that matter. However, my main issue with the homing attack, as I have mentioned in other threads, is that it's little more than instant gratification. It's useful for homing in on enemies and monitors, which can admittedly help a new player out, but it doesn't really offer much for more advanced players to work with. You press jump again and you home in on an enemy. There's not really a way to tweak that so that veteran players can pull off more advanced moves with it. As such, Sonic would end up being for the most part just for beginners, with more advanced players making another character such as Amy, Fang, or Metal Sonic the new meta.

The main advantage the thok has over the homing attack is that you don't have to come to a dead stop using it, and you can aim it. This makes it a very powerful tool for performing bounces. In fact, with it, Sonic is the most powerful bounce character. The thok can be a little tricky for a new player at first, but once they have had time to get used to it Sonic becomes one of the best characters in the game for traversing large areas in a small amount of time, provided the player can find a nice spot to perform a bounce.

Even if the homing attack was changed to preserve momentum, this already exists in the form of the attraction shield, and isn't restricted to just being used by Sonic.

Perhaps some method of making the homing attack more viable could exist, but it would likely require a lot of careful thought and some heavy modifications in comparison to how it works in any other Sonic game. Likely, it would involve having a secondary move that Sonic uses instead when there's nothing to home in on that isn't the double jump or air dash, and would also involve Sonic not being forced to home in on things when they are in range.

An idea that might potentially be a compromise is giving Sonic the Lightspeed Attack from SA1 and SA2, and only allowing Sonic to home in on a single enemy using it. Sonic would have to specifically charge it up while grounded by spindashing, then release the spin button while jumping to home in on the nearest target. This would prevent homing chains, Sonic wouldn't accidentally home in on things the player doesn't intend on, and it would leave Sonic's double jump action wide open to be replaced with something such as a bounce maneuver or some other move capable of giving Sonic some vertical mobility in a newby friendly way.

Recently I've been leaning towards giving Sonic the airdrill; with some tweaks it would make a very good ability. For starters, I would have it lock the player's horizontal speed to whatever it was when they initiated the airdrill while allowing them to redirect it with no loss of momentum, instead of setting it to a fixed value. I think it would also be suitable to allow the player to bounce on an enemy while airdrilling, cancelling the airdrill. Finally, I would have holding spin wind up a dropdash while initiating the stomp it currently has as well to allow the player to gain some speed from it.

1. PencilVoid I don't know what this "air drill" move is.
2. ...i don't understand what you're trying to say, but i do NOT want the sa1 light speed attack, and i don't get how it'd be useful. This is a platformer.
In a platformer with no homing attack chains how is having a combat tool relevant? For platforming it's just a basic air-dash.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

As fun as it is getting 40 lives before Techno Hill Zone, you should probably nerf the NiGHTS special stages' score to lives. Maybe half them or something
I also reccomend using Sonic 3 & Knuckles time bonus score values because the levels in this game are much longer.

Level specific time bonus values may be possible, though it'd be a lot of extra work and not really needed since none of the classics did that, though this game also should be as polished as it should be

it keeps happening

niKgkkv.jpg

Anyway, you know how when you enter a level in multiplayer, the game prints the level in the console? 'Map is now "MAP01: Greenflower Zone 1"' I wish the game did that in single player too, at least when devmode is on.

Being able to create or use a set amount of custom variables for the SKIN lump via SOC or lua would be pretty cool. Although, I read that it's quite challenging to implement something like this.

this one's really just a personal request but maybe an option for cobalt's drop dash to be included as a character ability in the S_SKIN lump

Definitely make a linedef that acts as a combination of visual portals and teleporters. From what I can tell, it's a bit tedious to have a portal and then stack the teleporter on top of it, so I think it'd be a more for an ease of access type thing

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back