[Solved] Input gets stuck

Dr. λ

I am using SRB2 on GNU/Linux and I built it from source but often my character spins around permanently as if I hold the button for turn left even though I am not holding it. This also happens even if I do not assign any button to turn left. And if I press turn left while it happens then I just spin faster.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Last edited:
Dr. λ;807089 said:
I am using SRB2 on GNU/Linux and I built it from source but often my character spins around permanently as if I hold the button for turn left even though I am not holding it. This also happens even if I do not assign any button to turn left. And if I press turn left while it happens then I just spin faster.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

By keyboard, mouse or joystick?

I use the keyboard. I tried disabling the mouse but it did not help.

However assigning no key to left does not stop left from being stuck.

Last edited:
Dr. λ;807105 said:
I use the keyboard. I tried disabling the mouse but it did not help.

However assigning no key to left does not stop left from being stuck.

So, SRB2 is not getting the keyboard Key Release event and thinks it is still held down, WONDERFUL

So, SRB2 is not eating all the OS events to pick up the event
I_GetEvent

or maybe that we are dropping the event due to eating too much and need to up the queue size
MAXEVENT

Also, are you SURE you do not have a joystick connected to with it's axis setup to move the character

So, SRB2 is not getting the keyboard Key Release event and thinks it is still held down, WONDERFUL -
I doubt that. Dr. λ said that pressing "turn left" makes them turn left faster. I don't think that that would happen if it just didn't register the "let go of turn left" thing in the first place.

Also, are you SURE you do not have a joystick connected to with it's axis setup to move the character
I just edited config.cfg and turned use_joystick2 and use_joystick both to "off" and it seems to have resolved the issue.

I guess my laptop is wonky because I do not have any joystick connected at all. How could it get joystick input if I do not have a joystick connected? I do have a touch screen on it which I always turn off because it is broken but maybe that interfered.

Anyway thanks for the help. It is nice that I can finally play SRB2 without mayor issues.

Oh yea, but.. for my insanely, could you get to the joystick menu, it should list the joystick devices detected by SDL2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ********

I looked and it indeed puts my touch screen under joysticks.

Here is some output from "xinput" for context:
Code:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2557:00 04F3:2557 Pen                 id=15   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN1200:00 04F3:3066 Touchpad            id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN2557:00 04F3:2557                     id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
My touch screen is broken and often sends signals on it's own making the mouse cursor go crazy, which is why I always turn my touchscreen off with xinput by disabling device 14, making my cursor work normally.

However despite that SBR2 finds devices 14, 15, and 16 under joysticks.

I think that SBR2 just reacted to my touch screen despite the fact that I had disabled device 14. So this was probably just faulty hardware and not a SBR2 bug.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back