Call for Testing: SDL2 Windows Build (faster software!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidolon

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Hey guys, I told you I was working on this a few weeks back, and it's ready for some public testing. I especially need people who are using Windows 8 to try this build, because this will probably help your performance a lot.

Here are a few things I need you to try out:
  1. Switching between fullscreen and windowed. Use multiple video modes.
  2. Mouse movement and mouselook. How does it compare to srb2win.exe? Does it feel slower/faster etc
  3. Performance. Does the game run better/worse/same in the same mode as srb2win.exe?
  4. Joysticks. Please try using 2 joysticks at the same time (for 2 player mode)
  5. Alt-tabbing. Try alt-tabbing while in fullscreen.

Please also list which operating system you are using (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit), and any additional specs like video card, display resolution, processor, memory, etc.

OpenGL is not ready in this build. Please don't bother with -opengl, it does nothing in this build.

Please see the new thread: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=39627

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
1) Seemed fine in testing.
2) Don't use a mouse, sorry.
3) It absolutely works better, no question.
4) Don't actually use...
5) Works beautifully. No issues.

I'll let you know if stuff shows up.

I'll do more thorough testing with other OSes and joysticks and mouses and such tomorrow, but for now:

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 1920x1080, Intel Core i5 @ 1.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM
1. Everything looks to be in order here. I'd like to note that the Windows 8 related graphical errors are fixed, i.e. you don't have to use compatibility mode to keep it from scaling wrong and the screen doesn't get all messed up when you minimize.
2. TBD
3. I guess I'd say the same but I never had any performance problems in the first place.
4. TBD
5. Alt-tabbing works fine, but when you do it in a game the music stops playing and never starts back. Same with minimizing.

Tomorrow I'll test it on Windows XP because why not.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Specs according to Windows
1) Once when I switched to windowed the window came up behind one of my Explorer windows, but otherwise it's fine.
2) Mouse sensitivity is something like a third of srb2win.
3) In 1280x800 ERZ2, srb2win runs full 35FPS while this build runs 25 at all times.
4) My DirectInput-based joystick didn't work when I tested it. It worked with srb2win, for reference.
5) Alt-tabbing works fine, but hitting the Windows key and clicking out of the window (something I use a ton) doesn't work any more.

Last edited:
Windows 7 64 bit

1. It works fine, I tested a lot of modes and didn't have any issues.
  2. The mouse works fine, but its movement is way slower than srb2win.
  3. It runs a little better.
  4. I don't own a controller that I can actually plug into the computer.
  5. It works perfectly, there was none of the stupid color/resolution switching that srb2win does.
Also, I have a frequently occurring startup crash issue. I already posted this RPT on IRC, but I've placed it below for ease of access. The last thing in the SRB2 log before the crash is "Loading sounds... "
http://pastebin.com/UXjvqpym

Last edited:
I am using Winows 7 64 bits:

It does fix my sound issues, it supports AZERTY keyboards now (??).
But I have serious framerates issues, my game is only a 23 FPS with a resolution that doesn't even take my entire screen. In fact there are not any resolution that are enough big to take my entire screen. I am using 1280 x 720 on the regular version and it takes the entire screen without lags.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 64-bit, Nvidia GeForce GT 640, 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM.

1. Works fine, no errors came up. Only thing that wasn't quite right was that when I first started it up, it was in 320x200 windowed despite fullscreen being on yes.
  2. Mouse movement is slower than srb2win. Otherwise, it works fine.
  3. Performance is better than srb2win, no doubt about it.
  4. Using 2 Xbox 360 Wireless controllers, they are listed as XInput Controller #1 and XInput Controller #2. Attempting to select the 2nd one in the select joystick options for either player 1 or player 2 crashes the game. srb2sdl.RPT here.
    I must say however, the controllers actually support more than 8-directional movement and being able to move the analog sticks slightly to move slower. This makes using them actually bearable, and NiGHTS is actually playable for me with them now.
  5. Alt-tabbing works fine with no errors.

Last edited:
Windows 7 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.40GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
  1. Windowed mode works at a silky 35 FPS, whereas srb2win.exe likes to skip drawing every other frame for some reason.
  2. Mouse sensitivity is lower, but can be adjusted with mousesens. mousesens 50 gives me about the same sensitivity as the default (35) in srb2win.exe. However, using lower-than-native resolutions in fullscreen seems to make mouse aiming coarser and changes the perceived sensitivity. Or something like that.
  3. The game runs fine at 640x400, but at 1280x800 starts stammering between 25-30 FPS in areas with the slightest visual complexity (like the bridge room in GFZ1). This did not happen in srb2win.exe, where it's silky 35 FPS save for extremely complex areas. Fading between levels is also jittery, but this seems on par with srb2win.exe; the difference seems to be srb2win.exe skips over frames while srb2sdl.exe tries to draw all of them, making the fade longer.
  4. I don't use gamepads with SRB2 nor do I have an adequate amount of hands to properly test two gamepads at once. Sorry.
  5. Alt-tabbing seems to work fine, but then again it always did work fine in srb2win.exe besides the savory moment when it tries to get control over the palette again.

Also, this build makes my right Shift key work again; it stopped working with the move from 2.0 to 2.1 for some reason.

Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 560Ti

1. Switching feels fine. However, it seems to be running only in a 16:10 mode for me, and it has absolutely no options to run any 16:9 resolutions, so there's black bars on the sides in fullscreen.
  2. Mouse movement, as others stated, is quite slower.
  3. Performance is slightly better. It feels laggy, trippy, and floaty, but it's better than the Software in srb2win now that it doesn't have weird texture spazzes. The FPS hardly reaches max, even though it really should at all time considering the specs of my PC. I would like to note that the screen feels very shaky in comparison to OpenGL. The title screen runs at a laggy 23 FPS for me. OpenGL is still significantly better.
  4. I don't have a joystick to test, sorry.
  5. A-OK here.
I seem to have an issue booting up SRB2sdl at all for some reason, like Katmint. Here's an entry of the rpt file.
Error occured on Monday, April 7, 2014 at 07:31:58.

E:\Steam Library\SteamApps\common\Sonic Robo Blast 2 V2.1\srb2sdl.exe caused an Access Violation at location 77e7332f in module C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Reading from location 00000004.

Registers:
eax=0b0becf8 ebx=0b047cf0 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=0b0becf0 edi=010a0000
eip=77e7332f esp=0028f9dc ebp=0028fa04 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00210246

Call stack:
77E7332F C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77E7332F RtlImageNtHeader
77E7B7F0 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77E7B7F0 RtlFormatCurrentUserKeyPath
77E7B741 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77E7B741 RtlFormatCurrentUserKeyPath
77E73CFE C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77E73CFE RtlImageNtHeader
764E9D45 C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll:764E9D45 malloc
0041FA92 E:\Steam Library\SteamApps\common\Sonic Robo Blast 2 V2.1\srb2sdl.exe:0041FA92Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.Dwarf Error: found dwarf version '4', this reader only handles version 2 information.
0041FB13 E:\Steam Library\SteamApps\common\Sonic Robo Blast 2 V2.1\srb2sdl.exe:0041FB13
004D0C33 E:\Steam Library\SteamApps\common\Sonic Robo Blast 2 V2.1\srb2sdl.exe:004D0C33

Last edited:
Windows 7 64 bit, C2Q Q6600 2.4 GHz OC'd to 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GTS 450

1. Didn't see any issues here between switching from fullscreen to windowed. On my comp, higher resolutions (like 1920x1200) tend to run a bit choppy but at 1280x800 it's perfectly fine.
  2. Yeah, mouse seems to be a tad slower than srb2win. Cranking the mouse speed up (in options) seems to remedy this somewhat.
  3. It's actually better than vanilla SRB2 2.1 on my comp. With srb2win, I get this audio stuttering issue every so often; here, that issue never comes up.
  4. I don't use joysticks with SRB2.
  5. Didn't see anything wrong here. Thankfully, with this build, alt-tabbing doesn't make the colors go bonkers like srb2win does. On that note, I'm guessing that automatically switching backgrounds doesn't affect the colors as well.

Might try this out on my laptop later, and maybe some older systems I have. My only real complaint about this is the lack of 16:9 resolutions, like Sky said.

Last edited:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, Celeron(R) Dual Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90 GHz, 3 GB RAM

1. I tried different video modes, works fine. Although 960x720 and up gave me terrible framerate.

2. Yes, the mouse did seem a tad bit slower.

3. Software mode seems to work as good as srb2win, but OpenGL ran outstandingly! (I used a batch file too load up in OpenGL)

4.I dont own any analog controllers that I could plug into a computer.

5.alt-tabbing works fine.

Sky, please pastebin your RPT dump, not directly in your post.

Addressing performance concerns, the 1920 resolutions are very choppy on most computers and also on srb2win. That's to be expected.

I have a hunch crashes are related to the joystick code but I'll have to look at it some other time.

Hey guys, I told you I was working on this a few weeks back, and it's ready for some public testing. I especially need people who are using Windows 8 to try this build, because this will probably help your performance a lot.

1. Switching between fullscreen and windowed. Use multiple video modes.
    * Works fine for me "Windows XP", but Slower and worse "Quality"
  2. Mouse movement and mouselook. How does it compare to srb2win.exe? Does it feel slower/faster etc
    * Smoother and better ...
  3. Performance. Does the game run better/worse/same in the same mode as srb2win.exe?
    * Slower then "srb2win.exe" !!
  4. Joysticks. Please try using 2 joysticks at the same time (for 2 player mode)
  5. Alt-tabbing. Try alt-tabbing while in fullscreen.
    * That's also working with no problems

But what about this " The PING :3"
    t4DHYq.png

Last edited:
Okay, just got done trying this out on my laptop.

Specs: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 P920 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5650

1. Didn't seem to be any major issues switching between video modes and from fullscreen to windowed. Anything above 960x600 starts to get choppy.
  2. Again, mouse seems to be slower than srb2win.
  3. I'd say it's about the same, if not slightly better.
  4. N/A
  5. Again, alt-tabbing works fine with no issues.

Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Pentium B940 2 GHZ (dual core), 4GB RAM, integrated
1. Works fine
2. Seems to be a bit slower.
3. I struggle to get 35 FPS on GFZ1, usually getting around 27 or so, but I can get 35 on srb2win on any level.
4. Ill check this out when/if I find my second gamepad
5. Alt-tabbing works so much better than before.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Wine version 1.4, Intel 2.4GHz dual-core CPU, Intel-integrated GPU, 3GBs of RAM.

I might be ridiculous for testing the build on a non-Windows system, but I had to give it a try. =P

- Displays in Windowed mode at 640x400 flawlessly; little to no hiccups and no white lines.
- Occasional sound stutter, but that might be from Unity hogging resources from the game.
- No frame dips in more detailed areas, like Techno Hill Zone Act 2, or Deep Sea Zone.
- I keep the mouse disabled so I can still get around my desktop, sorry.
- Still need to test the build with a controller, and see how levels past Castle Eggman Zone play once I have more time.

I'm back with more testing!

Windows XP 32-bit, RADEON X800 Series, 1024x768, Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.3GHz, 768 MB RAM
1. Everything works normally here.
2. Mouse speed is undoubtedly slower, but that seems to be the general consensus.
3. There is no improvement in performance, in fact on lag heavy levels like CEZ2 it feels worse.
4. My usual joystick works perfectly, but when I tried to select a second one the game crashed immediately. Crash report: http://pastebin.com/DHEabRMj
5. No issues with alt-tab.

Windows 8 x64, Intel Core i7-4500U CPU 1.80GHz, NVIDIA Geforce GT 750M.

It didn't run in my PC. It opens and then it closes, here's the log (if it helps):

Compiled for SDL version: 2.0.3
Linked with SDL version: 2.0.3
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Looking for WADs in: SRB2WADDIR,.
Z_Init(): Init zone memory allocation daemon.
System memory: 4095MB - Free: 4095MB
I_StartupTimer()...
W_InitMultipleFiles(): Adding IWAD and main PWADs.
Added file C:\SRB2\srb2.srb (6190 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\SRB2\srb2.srb
Added file C:\SRB2\zones.dta (959 lumps)
Loading main config from C:\SRB2\zones.dta
Added file C:\SRB2\player.dta (517 lumps)
Added file C:\SRB2\rings.dta (444 lumps)
Added file C:\SRB2\patch.dta (177 lumps)
Added file C:\SRB2\music.dta (171 lumps)

Okay, just got done trying this out on my laptop.

Specs: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 P920 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5650

1. Didn't seem to be any major issues switching between video modes and from fullscreen to windowed. Anything above 960x600 starts to get choppy.
  2. Again, mouse seems to be slower than srb2win.
  3. I'd say it's about the same, if not slightly better.
  4. N/A
  5. Again, alt-tabbing works fine with no issues.

I have the same issue with resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back