Does the Mb need more judges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't hurt me for this Spiritcrusher, but I think that the mb needs more judges. There can be a significant amount of wait just for a simple soc to be judged. I also think that we should have a 'next best' category, where things that didn't quite make the cut, but were pretty good would be posted.
ratioz.jpg
here is a ratio of how many active users there are and how many official judges there are, the tiny red dot is the judge, and the black represents other people.

Last edited:
While SpiritCrusher is the only person who actually has a 'Judge' usertitle, there are some moderators, admins and developers who are also judges, whose 'Judge' usertitle gets overwritten by their other usertitle.

However, most of the judges don't really do anything, and SpiritCrusher is in fact one of the few active judges.

Also, things that didn't make the cut are absolute garbage. There are no trashed submissions that come anywhere close to being 'pretty good'. The whole judging system was made only to filter out the unplayable and/or bugged and/or useless WADs and SOCs.

EDIT: http://mb.srb2.org/showgroups.php
There's a 'Judges' subgroup here.

Don't hurt me for this Spiritcrusher
NO! YOU MUST SUFFER! ^_~

We've had this topic before, with the result that I was made a judge. I hope I haven't gotten so lazy that we need this discussion again. But let me defend myself please.

You're obviously referring to your own submissions here, especially the one that is still in the evaluating process. Looking at your previous submissions, the longest period you had to wait was one week. That is the minimum amount of time you have to grant us. I, like all others here, have a private life and sometimes you'll have to wait until the next weekend until I have time for your submissions. If, by then, nobody has responded, feel free to ask a judge why nothing has happened yet. In most cases, like your current one, it's probably because nobody quite knows what to do with it.

The thing is that your submission is quite unusual, and I know that I personally didn't review it because I didn't think I would be able to determine its quality. That probably happened to all other active judges too. We'll get to it as quickly as we can though. If this happens again, reply to the submission topic after two weeks or so and ask why it's taking so long.

I also think that we should have a 'next best' category, where things that didn't quite make the cut, but were pretty good would be posted.
Things that didn't quite make the cut are never pretty good. We only filter out unplayable stuff or stuff that has absolutely no merit.

TL;DR: There are enough judges, but we are also merely humans. If we don't do our job, poke us with a stick. But please, do it privately.

EDIT: @Spherallic: Make that Prime 2.0 and me, and sometimes some other people. I'm not quite the only active judge, even if most judges aren't active. Probably because they know the job will get done anyway.

There can be a significant amount of wait just for a simple soc to be judged.

The easiest way to answer this is pretty much:

We have lives, we have jobs, we have more important things to be worrying about, we don't get paid for working on this, nor do we actually get anything at all, so please excuse us if we don't rush to get things done.

I have 2 people to suggest if you do decide to get more users: Fawfulfan and Ricardo.

Fawfulfan: Is a maintainer of the wiki, trusted.

Ricardo: Good with code and a keen eye for bugs.

I know you all have private lives, if we have more official judges, then you will be able to spread the work around, thus you would have more time to yourself.

Fawfulfan: Is a maintainer of the wiki, trusted.
He's a maintainer in name only, so that doesn't count :P I guess he could do it if we asked him, but I don't think he has much time either.

Ricardo: Good with code and a keen eye for bugs.
That doesn't help because we hardly get any code-related submissions. I have no idea how well he would be able to evaluate maps or characters.

I know you all have private lives, if we have more official judges, then you will be able to spread the work around, thus you would have more time to yourself.
That doesn't really work. In many cases, the work gets delayed until weekend, because we all have more time on weekends than on work days. Recruiting more judges would leave us with more people at the times when we have enough and with still nobody when we would need somebody. II wouldn't have a problem if there were more judges, but I don't really think we need them as long as almost all submissions are moved within a week. And of course, most people wouldn't want to do the job.

If I were the only person with the "Judge" title in this board, I'd be proud of it too. Please, don't break SpiritCrusher's felicity. =P
Nah, that's not the problem. I would have nothing against another judge, but I don't think it's necessary to recruit one.

He's a maintainer in name only, so that doesn't count :P I guess he could do it if we asked him, but I don't think he has much time either.
If you wanted to, I'd pitch in to the best of my abilities. I would have enough time to do a bit of judging work, and one of my favorite parts of being on this community is giving feedback.

And I take it that you mean that even though I bear the maintainer title, I don't do much around there. Well, I...actually, I have no reply to that. XD

If I were the only person with the "Judge" title in this board, I'd be proud of it too. Please, don't break SpiritCrusher's felicity. =P

I'm not looking to crush SpiritCrusher's Pride in his title, I'm just trying to suggest thing to make the submissions forum more effeciant.

Okay, to clear this once and for all: The "pride" thing in my signature is a joke. I couldn't care less if I'm the only judge on the board or one out of several. Also, you apparently don't seem to understand that the submissions forum is efficient enough.

Okay, to clear this once and for all: The "pride" thing in my signature is a joke. I couldn't care less if I'm the only judge on the board or one out of several. Also, you apparently don't seem to understand that the submissions forum is efficient enough.

I guess the submission forum runs pretty smoothly. And the lack of pride is a good thing, I find that a good trait to hold as high a rank as a judge and not view yourself higher than others.

I'm not looking to crush SpiritCrusher's Pride in his title, I'm just trying to suggest thing to make the submissions forum more effeciant.
Submissions is perfectly fine now. Your entries are getting rejected in a week or less, right? If it helps you, frequently things that hang around in submissions too long are because nobody wants to write a long explanation of why something was rejected, so if you're floating in submissions for a long period of time, you can take that as a rejection as well if you'd like.

Perhaps if you would recruit people that did not have a life, then possibly the submissions forum would run more smoothly. I do not have a life, I use my computer everyday for many hours. I highly doubt that I would be recruited because of my past behavior though. It would be nice to be know for something good instead of bad for a change if I was to become a judge.

Perhaps if you would recruit people that did not have a life, then possibly the submissions forum would run more smoothly. I do not have a life, I use my computer everyday for many hours. I highly doubt that I would be recruited because of my past behavior though. It would be nice to be know for something good instead of bad for a change if I was to become a judge.

No offense, but that's YOUR fault for not having a life. :|

Besides, I believe the releases section runs smoothly and efficiently. No need for more judges.

No offense, but that's YOUR fault for not having a life. :|

Besides, I believe the releases section runs smoothly and efficiently. No need for more judges.

Although I don't make anything, I agree that no more judges are needed. As long as it's only a week. If you want comments on it now, get some beta testers! =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back