Suggestions

A minor change perhaps but it would be nice if the game played a distinct sound effect when a new player joins the game (or at least in Match / First-person / Competitive game modes), enabling "Play sound effects if unfocused" doesn't really help much in these modes, I like to join the game and minimize it while I wait for new players to come and I sometimes miss when a player joins, it feels like barely anybody plays these modes, a shame because I really like them despite how unbalanced / thokfests they may be.

Last edited:
Well, on the one hand, I could see the benefit of not having to funnel all characters into the same endpoint. But then you'd have less setpiece finales like the bridge and the train.

Not only that, but the game now seems to be stepping in the direction of minor continuity between acts(not zones, acts.)

Techno Hill Act 1 ends in front of a door and Act 2 starts on the other side. Deep Sea Act 1 ends at a structure with stairs leading up, and Act 2 takes place above sea level. Castle Eggman is obvious. Arid Canyon Act 1 and 2 end and begin with a mine tunnel, and of course the train. And then there's Black Core, which basically all flows together.

In fact, I hope to see more of it. Even between Zones. Whether through cutscences, post results control(this would be the coolest, honestly, though it would also be the hardest to perform, so maybe not) or even just something as simple as, say, adding some plateaus in the background of CEZ3's skybox to give the kind of simple narrative.

Obviously it isn't too big a deal, but it is something to consider.

It would be nice if there was a menu option to replace the 1-up music with a sound effect, instead of it being determined in the MainCfg. Hearing the 1-up music can be jarring while I'm trying to enjoy a level's music.

Well, on the one hand, I could see the benefit of not having to funnel all characters into the same endpoint. But then you'd have less setpiece finales like the bridge and the train.

Not only that, but the game now seems to be stepping in the direction of minor continuity between acts(not zones, acts.)

Techno Hill Act 1 ends in front of a door and Act 2 starts on the other side. Deep Sea Act 1 ends at a structure with stairs leading up, and Act 2 takes place above sea level. Castle Eggman is obvious. Arid Canyon Act 1 and 2 end and begin with a mine tunnel, and of course the train. And then there's Black Core, which basically all flows together.

In fact, I hope to see more of it. Even between Zones. Whether through cutscences, post results control(this would be the coolest, honestly, though it would also be the hardest to perform, so maybe not) or even just something as simple as, say, adding some plateaus in the background of CEZ3's skybox to give the kind of simple narrative.

Obviously it isn't too big a deal, but it is something to consider.
As I mentioned initially, it wouldn't need to apply to all levels. Something else to consider is that even for levels in which it does apply, it actually opens up the opportunity for more of what you are talking about. Imagine for example in AC2, if you finish the act on Fang's path you are actually boarding the train and watching it take off from the inside through a window before making your way into the room the boss fight takes place in.

Or say you are playing as Knuckles and you destroy a portion of the bridge at the end of CEZ1 before climbing your way up into the castle through a secret entrance that is revealed by the collapsing bridge, and then start the next act inside this secret portion of the castle.

This would open up the possibility for new setpieces like this that tie into the other characters setpieces and make each playthrough a little bit more unique as each character.

I personally think having more than two minimum of the pterodactyl robots that pick you up and drop you in the lava in one area is a bit much.

Also, having finished the game this morning, I just would like to reiterate my suggestion that a basic player shadow be implemented, not just so you can judge where you're going to land more easily, but also so you can know when you've landed, especially for places in the game that require quick jumping off of collapsing platforms or moving platforms (for example, early Arid Canyon Act 1 with those floating collapsible gray platforms before the rope pulley, or during the Metal Sonic race when there's floating platforms suspended over lava). Many times I've found myself accidentally thokking myself to my doom because I pressed the jump button just before landing, or when it looked like I landed but hadn't yet actually done so.

To that end, perhaps an optional sound effect when hitting the ground would also be of benefit. (I know that's not really in the spirit of the classic games, but it's a relatively unobtrusive way of communicating vital information to the player).

I mentioned this in the Discord server, but due to someone trying to put a certain map pack on the Wiki because it got into Modifications, I feel there may need to be a slight change to the Releases forums. Mainly with the addition of a Map Pack category, which is more maps than what would be suited for the Levels category, but is not a full-blown Modification (like, say, Mystic Realm was)

Here's a copy of what I had mentioned on the Discord:

The way I see it, releases for the base SRB2 game fit into one of the following catergories:

Modifications - These are full blown mods for SRB2. They need at least either a full standard single player campaign as well as their own Special Stages (if any) or focus more on one of the alternative means of playing SRB2... That, or they modify the gameplay so that it's vastly different. If Mystic Realm was ported, it would go here, the same with SRB2Riders and also any NiGHTS-focused campaigns. The Apologue Pack I say does not count as one, as it's just SP maps. Note that heavy Lua usage may count as a Modification.
Level Packs - These are packs of levels which don't qualify to be classed as a Modification. This is where I would put the Apologue Pack myself, as well as the Boss Rush pack. Packs must include at least 2 Zones if they are SP packs, or a good number of MP maps.
Levels - For single levels or Zones for SP, or a small MP mappack.
Characters - Characters, enough said.
Lua - For Lua addons which aren't full blown modifications.
Software - For software, enough said.
Miscellaneous - For anything which doesn't fit into the above, like HUD replacements which don't use Lua... but not music replacement WADs, as they are not allowed.

Honestly "Modification" is a very broad term, any of the other categories can fit in it, "Total Conversion" would work better, this would be a category for mods that change not only levels but also include new art, gameplay mechanics...etc. and I disagree, a levelpack is still a levelpack regardless of the type(s) of levels it includes.

Could we split up Clear Unlockables into two different comands for unlockables and characters? I know that a lot of 2.1 maps with custom textures and such are rendered somewhat incompatible, but they're still fun to play. This would also allow people to make map packs with custom unlockables without needing to clear the characters unlocked by playing vanilla and instead would be able to opt into doing that if they need to.

Last edited:
Minor, but could you add some Sonic CD sound effects to Playable Metal Sonic?

For an instance: Jump, Spindash, Zoom, Skid.

The roll sound would be the same as when Boss Metal Sonic spins around then stops (which is obviously the chance for you to attack him).

I am well aware that a thread regarding the subject was recently locked so I hope I am not breaching any rules by bringing it up lightly, but until some consensus can be reached by the developers regarding the use of Super forms, perhaps there could be a console command for multiplayer servers to allow anyone to transform regardless of character. Sure, you'd still be locked out in singleplayer, but for those who mostly play in multiplayer (such as myself) it'd be much easier than having everyone install a wad to get it done.

The flame shield isn't unusued. It's barely used, but I've picked it up in at least one of the bonus levels.

That's not going to be something easy to do. All map geometry is stored as sectors (drawn shapes), and you can't make any "sub-sector" changes to get rid of snow in certain areas of a sector only.
So you'd have to split large singular sectors into lots of tiny sectors, for snow to be separately-meltable in each of those tiny sectors, and for as large as a SRB2 level is, that's not going to end well in practice.

Totally understandable, but it could still be possible for those two shields to nullify the slow-down effect of the deep snow even if there's no visual change, right?

Record attack suggestions:

• ability to set color and translucency of ghosts (finding it tough to differentiate between self and ghost when we're Very Close to each other)
  • ability to race against ghost of different character
  • ability to see best time/rings/score by character and not just overall

I am well aware that a thread regarding the subject was recently locked so I hope I am not breaching any rules by bringing it up lightly, but until some consensus can be reached by the developers regarding the use of Super forms, perhaps there could be a console command for multiplayer servers to allow anyone to transform regardless of character. Sure, you'd still be locked out in singleplayer, but for those who mostly play in multiplayer (such as myself) it'd be much easier than having everyone install a wad to get it done.

Im gonna go ahead and group mine with this one. I personally like this idea.
I dont think its asking for too much. I have a suggestion of my own. Im posting it again because nobody responded to it. Why not just give everyone their super forms until yall figure something out? If you really want the pro supers to shut up so badly, then this would be a good way to do it imo. I think super form blandness is such a small reason to lock away such a big thing. Plus, if there really is a silent majority of people who dont want supers, they will likely show their gripes with the universal supers. If you see anything wrong with my argument, let me know.

soundorg.x and soundorg.y should be exposed to Lua's sector_t list if they aren't already.

For context, the following C code isn't replicatable in Lua:
sector_t *actionsector;
thwompx = actionsector->soundorg.x;
thwompy = actionsector->soundorg.y;

For 2.2.1 or 2.3 (assuming it gets released): watertime and spacetime S_SKIN values. These two values control how long a character can survive under water or in space respectively. For example, if spacetime was set to 35 and watertime was set to 700, the player could be in space for one second and in water for 20.

flytime S_SKIN value: Specifies how long a player can fly for (would work for flying, swimming, gliding, and floating (to make it not completely powerful)).

jumpheight S_SKIN value: Not to be confused for jumpfactor, which modifies the height of a player's jump. This will change how tall a player is when jumping (assuming SF_MULTIABILITY is set), or it could just be merged with spinheight.

Some flags I think would be useful for custom characters are ones to turn off drowning or certain kinds of damaging sectors for them. This would easily let modders create characters who can breathe underwater, or who can natively walk on lava without an elemental shield, or even things like characters who can't just walk on lava, but can swim (or even just sink and walk around in) in it (separate from being immune to it to represent characters who are so tough they can endure swimming in lava for a limited amount of time, using the same basic code as drowning except taking damage at the end instead of dying).

(yes, I know that lava is basically solid for the purpose of going through it. it's a video game!)

Also this is bizarrely specific but I'd love a "scalding water" sector effect that makes water blocks damage characters (except those already immune to heat) on contact but which can be walked/swam through with the help of a heat-resistant shield, unlike lava. That would be useful for a level that takes place in, say, hot springs/onsen, or the cooling system of an Eggman-themed level, etc.

(I'd also suggest a "freezing water" effect for water so cold it hurts, but there isn't a shield themed around ice that could protect against it in SRB2)

Last edited:
(I'd also suggest a "freezing water" effect for water so cold it hurts, but there isn't a shield themed around ice that could protect against it in SRB2)

Flame shield or Waterflame shield should probably do the trick, countering the cold of the water with the heat of the flames.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back