Suggestions

I'll be forced to make a "Real" tutorial level, and you'll see why new players need it. My brother just losed all my 63 lives (SEEMED REALLY HILARIOUS SINCE THAT SAVED GAME IS JUST A BACKUP OF MY 30 ALREADY PLAYED SLOTS) with tails in GFZ2 because he just didn't knew what to do with shields, or how to use controls or all that stuff that isn't explained even in the configurations menu.
Developers just think of their abilitys of psychokinesis to read magically the description of every object or obstacle of every maps of the srb2 very existance. And the most surprising of all is that I don't even know if they care for these suggestions or they are just to busy to read or suggestions, I ended modifing the texture errors of ACZ all myself (Since there are plenty), and I ended fixing most of the misplacement of some objects in ERZ, RVZ and CEZ. It was a heck of a work.
No offense to anyone, but Srb2 Devs are making REALLY low progress.

The issue is that speedrunning is just one application among many that he'd need to have a different approach to. Right now, we have three characters, with two clear "classes". Sonic approaches the stages like an obstacle course. His lack of vertical mobility forces him to take the standard approach to platforming and value items like the Whirlwind Shield that provide him extra platforming maneuverability. Tails and Knuckles both ignore many obstacles in the game, allowing them to explore to their heart's content. Since they're both so similar, it's important to provide something to differentiate them, which is why I'm so strongly in favor of providing as much Knuckles-specific content as possible, as it makes Tails and Knuckles feel very different despite having very similar abilities. This isn't even counting the applications of the different characters in match and CTF. It's important for any potential addition to have relevant gameplay in each mode, but it's even MORE important that they have DIFFERENT relevant gameplay. That's where Metal Sonic falls apart, as his gameplay is essentially the same as Sonic's.

I'll be forced to make a "Real" tutorial level, and you'll see why new players need it. My brother just losed all my 63 lives (SEEMED REALLY HILARIOUS SINCE THAT SAVED GAME IS JUST A BACKUP OF MY 30 ALREADY PLAYED SLOTS) with tails in GFZ2 because he just didn't knew what to do with shields, or how to use controls or all that stuff that isn't explained even in the configurations menu.
I have one single question for you: How many games from the 1990s feature tutorial levels? I'm pretty sure that because of the fact that SRB2 is based on a lot of older Sonic games, there's no such thing as a "tutorial level". Frankly, the game is all about learning how the mechanics work (Rise of the Triad remake from 2013 comes to mind), not having your hand be held by the game (About 75% of all of the triple-A titles would pop up here).
Developers just think of their abilitys of psychokinesis to read magically the description of every object or obstacle of every maps of the srb2 very existance. And the most surprising of all is that I don't even know if they care for these suggestions or they are just to busy to read or suggestions, I ended modifing the texture errors of ACZ all myself (Since there are plenty), and I ended fixing most of the misplacement of some objects in ERZ, RVZ and CEZ. It was a heck of a work.
No offense to anyone, but Srb2 Devs are making REALLY low progress.
...way to whine about something that's been in progress since 1999 (1998?). If you want something complete, go play something else, please.

How the fuck do you even die in GFZ2

I have one single question for you: How many games from the 1990s feature tutorial levels? I'm pretty sure that because of the fact that SRB2 is based on a lot of older Sonic games, there's no such thing as a "tutorial level". Frankly, the game is all about learning how the mechanics work (Rise of the Triad remake from 2013 comes to mind), not having your hand be held by the game (About 75% of all of the triple-A titles would pop up here).

From what I remember, I think Sonic advanced or Sonic CD. But a noob could just encounter a death pit and just fall into it because a tutorial stage wasn't present to show to him how to jump to pass over the death pit. Sure 90s games didn't needed tutorials AT ALL because they were in "Videogames consoles" like the Sega Genesis or GameBoy, but Srb2 is a PC platform game (OMG remember we have a keyboard with more than 84 buttons to press in front of us), and somehow we need to know the specific use of the objects we encounter ingame and need to know how to control the character before running to a hazards hell.

...way to whine about something that's been in progress since 1999 (1998?). If you want something complete, go play something else, please.

I don't really know why I just said that, but I was once a part of a Sonic's game team, we did alot of work but some of the team, incluiding me got tired, i started to make really low progress and in the end I just quit the team to look for something else to do.

Last edited:
We assume that players are familiar with the core concepts of Sonic the Hedgehog games and are also familiar with how to read English and therefore operate the menus to configure their controls. We also assume that the player is capable of observing behaviors in the game environment and learning from their mistakes. The only gameplay mechanics I don't think are telegraphed well enough at this point are shield activated abilities and that you can use the spindash to "duck" under hazards.

Last edited:
I got 1 more good suggestion:

A real tutorial level. We all know that GFZ1 tries to act like a tutorial stage but it's not that good. The level can be accesed from the single player menu, between start game and record attack and it should be called "tutorial level". After you select the character, you are instantly spawn to a short level with diffrent textures and explains to the player how to use things such as shields, tokens, slime, avoiding lava and bottomless pits, etc.

Explaining all the mechanics of the game to the player through text is not elegant game design, and it's not something SRB2 needs. Visual and audio feedback mechanics are the fastest and least obtrusive way to help the player understand most elements in the game. See Sequelitis.

While I don't object to the concept of adding unlockable characters, the problem is that they need to have a real purpose instead of just being there for the sake of being there. I've been trying to get more differentiation between Tails and Knuckles in SRB2, and adding in a fourth character would make giving them all a purpose even harder.

I think the main idea is that the fourth character should be a reward for doing well in the single player campaign, and provide a different class role in multiplayer. I could think of a few characters that would serve both purposes in different ways.

Metal Sonic's an obvious one, and would probably fit in well if he was designed around a blend of agility and accessibility, relying on SRB2's basic momentum physics with extra perks to keep him rewarding with skilled use. What you could do is design him around low acceleration and high top speed, but no thok like Sonic so as to encourage the player to always maintain momentum. Run-on-water could further reward staying at top speed, and that in addition to a greater jump height could give him a balanced map accessibility.

Amy could easily be turned into something interesting, as we already have a model to work from with Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance. In single player, her hammer could be used to bust Knuckles walls and wall climb. In multiplayer, she could function as a melee class, with her hammer dealing a high amount of knockback to make it easier to steal weapon panels and CC enemies.

Egg Robo or something similar could be interesting with the possibility of unlimited flight. The obvious downside would have to be the lack of speed, and I don't know how well it would mesh into single player given the character would more than likely be reliant on ringslinger.

The primary differentiation between characters has always been one involving movement. Anyone that can distinguish themselves this way from the vanilla trio has a good chance of being a healthy addition to the roster.

Look guys, I know you don't wanna over do it, And I don't curse much here, but...
WHY THE HELL IS IT THAT:
Charskincolorreftable-vanilla.PNG

YELLOW DOES NOT USE ALL THE DAMN SHADES OF YELLOW?
Hell, olive doesn't even use half, and black should use 16 even IF it uses the darker part of... what, 32 hue-less values? Are you serious ಠ_ಠ?
The whole palette:
Palette.png

are you FUCKING kidding me!?!?

Last edited:
Amy could easily be turned into something interesting, as we already have a model to work from with Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance. In single player, her hammer could be used to bust Knuckles walls and wall climb. In multiplayer, she could function as a melee class, with her hammer dealing a high amount of knockback to make it easier to steal weapon panels and CC enemies.

I second this. Chrispy's Rosy had a good model going as well, and if you hard-code her, she'd have a lot more options. She could have the triple jump Amy had in JTE, and you could set her hammer actions to spindash(Pressing spin just swings the hammer, pressing spin and then jump before the animation finishes makes her hammer-jump the way Rosy already does). This gives her quick exploration access and combat capability as well.

Last edited:
I second this. Chrispy's Rosy had a good model going as well, and if you hard-code her, she'd have a lot more options. She could have the triple jump Amy had in JTE, and you could set her hammer actions to spindash(Pressing spin just swings the hammer, pressing spin and then jump before the animation finishes makes her hammer-jump the way Rosy already does). This gives her quick exploration access and combat capability as well.
I third this. Also, We should add more characters than just Rosy to the game, because WHY THE HELL NOT? (Except for the filesize. Gotta be careful with that quirky MoFo.)

Last edited:
Run-on-water could further reward staying at top speed
I agree with all your other points, but holy shit no it would not, and I don't understand how people keep advocating running on water at all. The only thing that would happen is that it would force you to slow down whenever you want to dive into a body of water, thus plummeting you right back into the slow acceleration state you were striving to avoid. Stages like DSZ would play like complete ass.

And to the Rosy the Rascal crew: I thought the point was to make good use of Blade's existing sprites by reusing them as a single player character. Maybe I missed the point. But what I'm certain is that an unlockable Amy would make absolutely no sense from a sales pitch point of view or a game design point of view. I'm pretty sure Amy has never been a part of TUDD in any way nor would it make any sense to randomly unlock such a mundane character as a reward for beating the game.

Making use of existing sprites was part of my pitch to begin with.

If we're delving into the area of MP-only characters, the aforementioned Metal Sonic could work. But Katmint's Eggman would be a great choice- it's a lot of fun to play as and play against in netgames. It has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I can't think of a third character other than Amy who'd fit the classic motif of the SRB2, and it's a bit hard to find something to make her unique.

I agree with all your other points, but holy shit no it would not, and I don't understand how people keep advocating running on water at all. The only thing that would happen is that it would force you to slow down whenever you want to dive into a body of water, thus plummeting you right back into the slow acceleration state you were striving to avoid. Stages like DSZ would play like complete ass.

That's actually a fair point, I take that back.

And to the Rosy the Rascal crew: I thought the point was to make good use of Blade's existing sprites by reusing them as a single player character. Maybe I missed the point.

Given the existence of Crispy's Rosy wad, I don't see how it's much different.

But what I'm certain is that an unlockable Amy would make absolutely no sense from a sales pitch point of view or a game design point of view. I'm pretty sure Amy has never been a part of TUDD in any way nor would it make any sense to randomly unlock such a mundane character as a reward for beating the game.

Mundane? Honestly, Amy's gameplay is the only particular reason I like Sonic Advance. It makes plenty of sense from a thematic/'sales pitch' point of view because Amy was not only a good part of Sonic CD's plot but also appeared in many of the later classic era games, and it makes even more sense from a game design point of view because Amy's gameplay structure in SA legitimately stands out from the rest of the cast.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Making use of existing sprites was part of my pitch to begin with.

If we're delving into the area of MP-only characters, the aforementioned Metal Sonic could work. But Katmint's Eggman would be a great choice- it's a lot of fun to play as and play against in netgames. It has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I can't think of a third character other than Amy who'd fit the classic motif of the SRB2, and it's a bit hard to find something to make her unique.

On this, I think something similar to Katmint's Eggman would be good, but with less gadgets for a more streamlined design, and I'd rather see Eggrobo than Eggman, partially because it makes slightly more sense in the campaign mode.

Look, I know this is a stupidly hard to do request that likely wont be noticed, but listen:
So, remember that one time where you *JUST* missed that jump in Eggrock? Yeah, me too. So, what if you added a feature where you kinda... Caught on to ledges?
It would be pretty simple, and it really only requires one new object (And a bit--- okay, maybe a LOT of hardcoding.) When jumping, your character spawns an object in front of him (her, if female characters are being used) that checks if you are touching a ledge between a side and a floor (Where all the hardcoding comes in) and if it returns true, the character will act like he is being carried by a tails (and even use the same frames, too). So, then, you could add another variable too characters that assign how long they can hold on to the ledge before they let go (in seconds, max 10 I guess). I'm sorry if that sounds like much.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

And to the Rosy the Rascal crew: I thought the point was to make good use of Blade's existing sprites by reusing them as a single player character. Maybe I missed the point. But what I'm certain is that an unlockable Amy would make absolutely no sense from a sales pitch point of view or a game design point of view. I'm pretty sure Amy has never been a part of TUDD in any way nor would it make any sense to randomly unlock such a mundane character as a reward for beating the game.
As a unlockable character? F that, I meant single player ones. Like, ACTUAL IMMEDIATELY PLAYABLE CHARACTERS.
And running on water is as dumb as F.

Last edited:
Look, I know this is a stupidly hard to do request that likely wont be noticed, but listen:
So, remember that one time where you *JUST* missed that jump in Eggrock? Yeah, me too. So, what if you added a feature where you kinda... Caught on to ledges?
It would be pretty simple, and it really only requires one new object (And a bit--- okay, maybe a LOT of hardcoding.) When jumping, your character spawns an object in front of him (her, if female characters are being used) that checks if you are touching a ledge between a side and a floor (Where all the hardcoding comes in) and if it returns true, the character will act like he is being carried by a tails (and even use the same frames, too). So, then, you could add another variable too characters that assign how long they can hold on to the ledge before they let go (in seconds, max 10 I guess). I'm sorry if that sounds like much.

No? That defeats the whole purpose of platforming.

No? That defeats the whole purpose of platforming.
Like I said, it was just a stupid Idea. I was just recommending it, Though it would be interesting to have it only activate in certain gametypes, like an "Adventure" one, that definitely is NOT A clone of the old adventure gametype.

Last edited:
Ledge grabbing already sort of exists. You could easily make an invisible, intangible FOF that you can cling to and put it right under a ledge.

I know. But level makers be doing lotsa work already, and like I said, IT WAS JUST AN IDEA.
EDIT : Wait no, forget me for coming up with that.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back