• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[SUGOI 2] Sonic Uncovers Banning And Realizes Anime Spoilers Hurt Intricate Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go ahead and take this as an opportunity to talk a little bit about some things I've either only touched upon briefly or that I haven't talked about in public at all. The short answer: another SUGOI will just happen whenever I think it's been long enough since the last one. That could mean anything, from "literally a single day" to "never". Even I don't know if there will be another; SUBARASHII could indeed be the last of its kind.

If I decide I want to do another, I will not be saying so anywhere in advance; you'll be learning that there's another when I make the thread for it. I don't want people holding back their maps for when another inevitably starts, that's not the point! The point is to shut up and get on it, and get something new done! That's not to say people should be making rush maps, but working on one project for an extended period of time is more for personal projects, not SUGOI. (Slightly unrelated, but I would love to give SUGOI just slightly more time, but threads in Editing apparently aren't allowed downloads for more than a month.)

Another, relatively minor thing that determines if I want to do another is if I can come up with ideas to make the formula more interesting. SUBARASHII is more orthodox and has less explicitly hidden stuff than SUGOI 1. But in return, the progression has changed up in SP to require more emblem hunting because there's way more, there's Emerald Stages instead of Chaos Emeralds being hidden in the levels themselves, and (obviously) the sheer number of levels. This different approach means some people will likely prefer one over the other, but it makes it more interesting as well.

That said, it's a community project, so I won't feel too bad about doing a rehash. There's still an opportunity for new cool maps to shine through. But if every single SUGOI is the same thing but with the hub, finale and entries swapped out, I'm certain that will sooner or later lead to more disinterest, from both me and the regular participants.

While I'm here, I'll go ahead and clearly state this, because there's actually a lot of people that are confused about this: SUGOI has always been just fancy presentation for a bunch of one-off maps that you would normally see in Releases. The hub is just a fancy level select. The final boss just serves as a goal to work towards. I get a lot of complaints because a specific level got in, or that the finale is a little anti-climatic, or whatever, but I don't care! SUGOI isn't, and never will be, the be-all and end-all level pack.

Last edited:
Fair enough Salt, I don't know how many people were expecting a huge amount from this community project. I'd hate to see their expectations slowly become a burden.

Or maybe, just make a level and put it in submissions. New up and coming mappers like yoshirocks have been submitting a lot of levels for releases in order to get criticism. SUGOI shouldn't be treated as a platform for level design recognition, it's made so new mappers can simply make a level.

Or maybe, just make a level and put it in submissions. New up and coming mappers like yoshirocks have been submitting a lot of levels for releases in order to get criticism. SUGOI shouldn't be treated as a platform for level design recognition, it's made so new mappers can simply make a level.
Oh don't worry Saph, I don't really care for recognition but rather I just like the idea of SUGOI in general. I actually just started working on my very first map, Hidden Badlands Zone, last night with some rough sketches.

What? I didn't mention anyone's maps at all, though.

If I start another or not depends solely on me; it does not have anything to do with the quality of entries.

If you never make another official SUGOIII, could people make bootleg offbrand SUGOI-type things? L̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶K̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶W̶a̶c̶k̶y̶ ̶A̶r̶e̶a̶ ̶I̶n̶v̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶I̶n̶i̶t̶i̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶K̶A̶W̶A̶I̶I̶)̶?̶

Sure. I ripped it off of DUMP, and the author of that told me that DUMP wasn't a very original idea in the first place (it's just a speedmap compilation :p).

Probably get consent from an administrator before going through with it though, just as I did.

I would like to post more progress.

However, final level & boss are supposed to be a surprise, I feel like I've given the hub enough spotlight, and everything else I might've consider putting here is stuff tasked to other people that I do not want to show or mention in case they don't approve.

But, hey, if y'all want some more hub, I don't see any reason to say no!

baf63d0ac2.png

Welcome to the Joestar Manor shop! Here, Shadow the Hedgehogs (pural) like to sell you useful items, in return for some Emerald Tokens they can practice Chaos Control with. Why is there so many Shadows? Some invaluable life questions can just never be answered, my friend. (Not until release day, at least!)

aaee47469f.gif

There are a lot of things to purchase here, anything from extra lives, shields, invincibility, speed sneakers, a randomizer powerup, and even Chaos Emeralds to skip an Emerald Stage! What the shop has in stock will change every time you beat a new level, so be sure to check back often. If an item gets held in your single inventory slot, then it'll be activated as soon as you enter a level that allows items. Of course, nothing here is required to progress (you can even disable shopping for the entire server by turning on sugoi_noshop in the console), but it might make your life easier to visit when you have some Emerald Tokens to spare.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be practicing my piano skills.

Last edited:
Everything's lookin' good, Salt! I also liked the Piano thing. And i guess i'm never getting that Shadow Question answered anytime.

but why didn't you use SpeedWagon's Shadow Sprites though

I did. He's just one of the many Shadows that have taken up residence in Joestar Manor. :p

I did. He's just one of the many Shadows that have taken up residence in Joestar Manor. :p

Does that mean Black Sonic is also there!?
In all seriousness though, this looks so good and I can't wait to play this, I love the powerup shop idea.

What's the difference between getting those power-ups from shop and getting them from one of the Maps that will be there ?

Getting them from the shop lets you get a boost right from the start of some sadistic level you can't beat, while getting them in the map just gives you the item as in normal gameplay.

Everything's lookin' good, Salt! I also liked the Piano thing. And i guess i'm never getting that Shadow Question answered anytime.

but why didn't you use SpeedWagon's Shadow Sprites though

In Sonic Heroes there was a bunch of Shadow Androids that Eggman had, maybe they just moved on?

In Sonic Heroes there was a bunch of Shadow Androids that Eggman had, maybe they just moved on?

That would be a cool idea, actually. Coloring the Shadows to look like Shadow Androids would make playing as Shadow less paradoxical (though there are multiple Shadows anyway so it's not like it's a big deal).

Hahaha that looks incredible! I love the creativity on display here, the piano jukebox is a stroke of genius and the shadow vendor looks like it'll give the hub a lot of life. The hub already looked like it was gonna have a lot of personality but those additions are the icing on the cake man! It goes to show how much some interactive elements like that can enrich games like SRB2 which usually only have you interact with level geometry or blowing up robots.

Boy, this is looking good wow. Love that Shadow vendor at least the hub won't look empty :D. Lot of creative stuff coming along. Seriously, i give you a thumbsup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back