We Need to talk about the outrageous amount of money being spent on ROBLOX by kids

FishandChips

When was the last time I logged in?
So if you are in the ROBLOX Community recently you might of heard about the news stories about kids spending thousands on Robux. Most of them being that they sign up the kid and forget to add measures to prevent them from spending money, then the parents realize that there kid spent thousands on ROBLOX and then they get a refund. Now with the release of another popular game made to suck Robux down the hole (Overlook Bay) we must talk about this. What are your ideas about ways we can stop this spreading to other games?

It's been almost a decade since I played Roblox, but I was absolutely one of those kids. I feel for those who are affected in the same way or worse years down the line.

It is my strong belief that it should be illegal for video games to contain internal monetary systems ("Robux", "Minecoins", "Red Rings", etc) that can be influenced by paying real-world cash, but this is unlikely to happen because of the general state of our world and the lucrative nature of the business. I still hold out some hope, though, and strongly encourage others to stay away from games that involve this kind of exploitation.

I think you misunderstand what I was getting at. Tix was a thing when I played, and it didn't do a thing to prevent me from spending real world money. Its removal is an easy thing to point to as a kid to say "this is a problem" because it presents an immediate, obvious moment where free stuff is taken away from you, but it's ultimately meaningless compared to the greater crime of negging children into paying them for virtual goods that one day will simply stop existing. (A big reason why DRM is also a huge ethical nope for me, but that's not immediately related to the topic.)

Kids pay too much money in a videogame?

Blame the parent for letting them use their credit card.

And it's not just for Roblox but for any kind of mobile or console freemium.

ROBLOX is older than most of the kids who play it nowadays... I stopped playing it like... 8(?) years ago. Kids spending thousands? Sounds pretty typical. Not having the authority to stop themselves. Blame the parents, for not watching their children... Wish ROBLOX would just ban anyone under the age of... say... 13? meh...

I can definitely see the problem with these spending schemes built up for games like ROBLOX or mobile games. Back in the day (5 years ago-ish) Although I never spent a dime on ROBLOX (thank god), the urge to log in everyday to get TIX and receive that free Robux that came with a 100 TIX each (I think that’s how it went?) was very addicting, and almost made me use money on the game because of how allusive the currency was. Even though now I know that it’s just a business “protocol” of sorts, sadly it’s very effective and has made many people I know personally fall for it. We all hate it, but it’s just essential for a “free” business to continue, and if they don’t make money from the base game, you better believe that they’ll definitely advertise their micro-transactions.

I wrote this very early in the morning so my mind might be a bit jumbled, hopefully it doesn’t deter the point too badly...

Also the game that’s name will make you feal dread. Adopt me. The worst example of EA ever.

ROBLOX is older than most of the kids who play it nowadays... I stopped playing it like... 8(?) years ago. Kids spending thousands? Sounds pretty typical. Not having the authority to stop themselves. Blame the parents, for not watching their children... Wish ROBLOX would just ban anyone under the age of... say... 13? meh...

Well, even THAT won't work, cause kids will just make accounts that are over the age of 13, when in reality, they're basically just B A B Y

This could also be told about adults that spend money on mobile phone game.

Honestly the problem is more about the entire industry rather than Roblox.

It’s not adults. It’s kids around 8 years old.

Yeah, but the problem exists beyond Roblox, and beyond kids around that age. Although it isn’t part of the topic, it is related that the problem is also found in the mobile industry in general, as mentioned by Icarus. And in general is a problem that has to be faced as business, even if we don’t want it to be a thing affecting young kids and adults alike.

You are missing the point Icarus. It's the 8 year old's that are spending the outrageous amounts.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back