Custom Variables and conditionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
That brings me back to the issue of conditionals, though. How do I make something happen when the character has enough emblems?

Also, can I put multiple emblems in one level?

Um. How about having the player clear a level and get a star post? You can use a linedef executor (move floor or some other one) to unlock the next area. Now, I know what you might be thinking. "You can't have a linedef executor and a star post activator on the same sector!" The thing is, you can use an intangible invisible FOF block with a star post activator in the control sector, and the floor of the sector could be the trigger.

See where I'm going with this? The only problem is there isn't a "trigger when all star posts are touched". I'm sure you can figure a way around that.

There aren't any global variables in the game for use by level designers. Traditional adventure fields, as such, aren't really possible in SRB2 without tons of hackery and/or wasted space.

That's what I mean by wasted space, on Edge. I've seen some people fake it by creating multiple copies of the adventure field and various maps and making sure that people get directed to the proper copy of the map for where they currently are in the game. This, of course, is a HORRIBLE hack that wastes a ton of space.

It is, as far as I know, the only way to currently do it without modifying the EXE, sadly.

One Field. It links to many stages. All stages exit to the adventure field.

Put an item, IE emeralds, emblems, etc. at the end of each stage. When you can turn super, leave that section of the Mod, OR unlock the next section with emblems.

So, all I need to do is make it so a certain amount of emblems is required by the SOC itself? But won’t that make the game crash if the player doesn’t have enough emblems, like it did when I tried to use the command ‘MAP MAP30’ in normal play?

Possible thought: Everything on one map? You could put all the stages on one map. Of course, if your "levels" are too big, you could have clipping problems, and possibly break your nodebuilder. :/

Like I believe you've said already, emerald. At the end of each stage before returning to the adventure field, place an emerald. Of course, you'd have to have 7 stages in your first adventure field in order to work, but after that, custom exit! Using the block monset flag, you could have an exit that sends you to the next adventure field with all the emblems. And while this wouldn't normally work for multiple adventure fields, you can always have a script that fishbakes the player back into no emerald-ness.

Everything on one stage would be impractical, especially since I want to include a time attack mode.

The emerald idea is a good backup plan, but I think I’ll try the emblem idea first. With emblems, I can place multiple emblems in one stage. If you’re interested in the details, I plan to have one emblem unlocked by having a certain amount of rings at the end of the level, one emblem unlocked by having beaten every enemy in the level, one emblem hidden in the stage, one emblem at the end of the stage by default, and one gained by completing an end-of-level ‘bonus stage’ (which also awards points for completion, so there is a point to doing it even if you already gained that emblem).

Just a warning, though, needing to kill the enemies would mean you'd have so many tags on the one control sector. :/

Joat said:
So, all I need to do is make it so a certain amount of emblems is required by the SOC itself? But won’t that make the game crash if the player doesn’t have enough emblems, like it did when I tried to use the command ‘MAP MAP30’ in normal play?

I don't believe it would crash in Coop/Race, though it might. You'd have to test that. Anyways, the SOC itself would indeed be used to determine emblems required. Also, different prizes can be awarded for different amounts of emblems, so you can use that as well.

BlueZero4 said:
Just a warning, though, needing to kill the enemies would mean you'd have so many tags on the one control sector. :/

Not really. The thok barrier(s) (which will be around everything in the stage) will all have the same tag. All I need to do is set the target sector to the thok barriers and that should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back