SRB2 ported to the Raspberry Pi!

Shardvexz

Cosmophile on IRC/Discord
First, the obvious question. What is a raspberry pi? A raspberry pi is a $35 linux computer the size of a credit card!

Here is a picture:
Screenshot-RaspberryPiwithUSBkey.jpg

I am running the "Raspbian" operating system on my Pi, which is basically a port of Debian Linux.

The Pi has only 512MB of RAM and very limited graphic abilities. But it can run lots of old games like DOOM and QUAKE 3. So, I decided to try SRB2 on it! The game runs, but with a few problems.

Problems I noticed when playing SRB2 on the Pi:
  • Knuckles can't jump D:
  • Chasecam doesn't work
  • Only runs well in 320x240 windowed mode
  • Rendering water causes lag
  • Trying to host a dedicated server causes this error: "could not execute dconfig.cfg"

I didn't try it with sound on, so I have no idea how how good the audio is.

However, I tried hosting a server with 6 people, and no one experience any problems! Since hosting worked out so well, I plan to set up a 24/7 dedicated server on the pi.

Here is SRB2 for the Pi, in case anybody else wants to try it: Link
(Take a look at the read-me I included.)

That's it for now. Later I might get around to taking some screenshots and maybe even a movie.

Last edited:
Problems I noticed:
  • Knuckles can't jump D:
  • Chasecam doesn't work
Are you sure you're using the latest version of SRB2 2.1? On release day, a lot of people suffered from those two same bugs, me included. The 2.1.1 patch fixed them... it was something about incompatibility with non-English keyboards or something.

No idea about the other bugs, though.

*Checks again to make sure*

I am using SRB2 version 2.1.8, Alam's ARM Linux build.

EDIT: When I first set up my Pi it was configured for UK keyboards. I changed the configuration to US keyboards. Not sure if this is related...

Last edited:
Yep, it should make a fantastic server. Most of SRB2's CPU time is rendering.

i clicked th link and it just said error 404 you know the rest
Even if it was up, it would be an extremely outdated version of the game (2.1.8, to be specific). There's not really any reason to play that specific version over 2.1.25 or 2.2.4. You'd be better off compiling it for the pi yourself.

Yeah it'd be wild seeing a Pi try running either act of Castle Eggman.

I'd bet money on that chugging / being impossible lol

Yeah it'd be wild seeing a Pi try running either act of Castle Eggman.

I'd bet money on that chugging / being impossible lol

Tried it with my Pi 3b, and you'd be right. 7FPS at 640x400, Software mode. (OpenGL crashes whenever I switch to it)

Tried it with my Pi 3b, and you'd be right. 7FPS at 640x400, Software mode. (OpenGL crashes whenever I switch to it)

Yeah, when I tried it a while back on our 3B+ (I think), after having a few problems getting it to compile, once i got it working I had much of the same issues. The limited specs of the Pi 3B aside, the problem stems from a lot of SRB2's optimisations being X86-specific, so compiling SRB2 for another architecture will fall back on less optimal C code. Or at least that's how people in the Discord explained it to me. And yes, Castle Eggman was completely unplayable.

But also

i clicked th link and it just said error 404 you know the rest

I know the forum management has generally been more relaxed about this in recent years but you kids still really need to stop necroing old, irrelevant threads like this. All it does is confuse people.

Srb2 is the most ported game out there
Not really? It's on Windows, MacOS, Linux, new 3DS*, Switch, Browser, and Android (the Raspberry Pi runs Linux, which is what makes this "port" possible). That might sound like a lot, but it really isn't. Most modern games are already on 4 platforms (Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and PC). You also can't beat the 3DS version as it crashes at a certain level, not to mention it never got updated to even 2.1.25, let alone 2.2.

Not really? It's on Windows, MacOS, Linux, new 3DS*, Switch, Browser, and Android (the Raspberry Pi runs Linux, which is what makes this "port" possible). That might sound like a lot, but it really isn't. Most modern games are already on 4 platforms (Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and PC). You also can't beat the 3DS version as it crashes at a certain level, not to mention it never got updated to even 2.1.25, let alone 2.2.

Classic DOOM on the other hand... There's a reason "Can it run DOOM?" became a meme. I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured out how to get it running on their smart fridge.

Android... Roblox?
Raspberry Pi?!
WHAT'S NEXT!? PS2?!

Again, compiling code that compiles natively on ARM-based Linux machines with little-to-no coding work does NOT qualify as a port in the sense you're using here. Android, sure, but Raspberry Pi is just a Linux computer with the exact same libraries available to it as the standard x86-based Windows and Linux versions. Also did you even read that Roblox thread? Because it's literally nothing, just like this thread is.

Also, is "PS2!?" a challenge or a request? I wager it'd probably run like arse but, i mean, if it has a C compiler and an SDL implementation, it can probably run SRB2 with some effort.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back