SRB2Wii thread (v2.0.0 RC4, news update 27/11/2010 10:46)

You are using Linux to start SRB2Wii? And you can press any button on your Wiimote, but nothing happens? Then there are 2 ways to solve that problem:

No 1) Add a tool for your Linux that recognizes wiimote inputs.

Here is an example instruction for Ubuntu Linux: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=993376

Wminput recognizes the inputs of your wiimote (an nunchuk or classic controller, if plugged in) under Linux.

With wmgui you can test the buttons of your controller.

If it doesn't work (or if on wiimote is not enough), get the sources and look next:

No 2) Go to this page: http://wiioperasdk.com/

Look for the words "Wii Remote detection", click on download an compare this code with the sources of No 1)

OK, here you can look for Java Script codes that enable Wiimote detection on websites, but maybe it helps to find out which code is needed to use more than one wiimote.

1. wminput is installed and working. No X server in SRB2Wii, can't use wmgui. Its just SRB2 that doesn't recognise input from ANYTHING, not even from a keyboard.

2. No Internet connection in SRB2Wii either.

Its just a static 48MB filesystem image, its got free space in it, so thats what brings the compression rate up.

Hey Callum, I'm back home now so I can start working on the launcher but I need you to give me a description of the layout and functions you want in it.

Yay! Glad to have you back home, akirahedgehog. Now this is what I want to have:

- The ability to start SRB2 (obviously!)
- The ability to set parameters to start SRB2 with (there will be checkboxes for warping to a level (and inputting level number) and dedicated server =3)
- The ability to change what SRB2 binary is loaded, there will be a menu to choose from and maybe we can have a data file for that binary (like srb2.conf or something) and the loader can read from it and pull data like filename, name and description from it or something
- The ability to restart Wii Linux, this will take it back to the Homebrew Channel
- The ability to add custom WADs (obviously) through a list of WADs, and the ability to mount a USB stick to search and import WADs from there onto the SD card

Apart from that I can't think of much else, there will be more I want to add once I (or Alam) modify SRB2 to make it work better with SRB2Wii but for now thats it I guess. Thanks a million, akirahedgehog!

I'm just curious, srb2 is made from the doom 2 engine correct? I remember seeing someone making a playable doom port on the Wii http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/wiidoom-0-4-1-is-released-173909.html

I'm not sure if showing u this will sprout up any idea or anything but I figured the least I could do is point something to hope something helps lol. In any case, I been watching you guys work on this and I can't wait to be able to play it on my Wii so I wanna say awesome job so far! =)

Last edited:
It is possible to make a native SRB2Wii port, but I'd have to code in the ability for SRB2 to be build with DevkitPPC. And, a lot of the features I have planned with SRB2Wii right now would be more difficult or impossible at the moment with a native port.

Last edited:
Ah I understand. Well do what you find is best because were rooting for all who's helping on this. =)

Last edited:
I have redesigned the Wii Remote configure interface. The Wii Remote is now set up as a keyboard and I can confirm it to be working, that seems to point to an issue with SRB2 as to why the input isn't working.

SRB2Wii v1.2.0 has been released! Here are the changes:
- Upgraded the Linux kernel to MIKE p3. This brings forth several enhancements.
- SRB2Wii now supports booting from mini via the BootMii menu. This brings SEVERAL advantanges, including 11MB more RAM than SRB2Wii from the Homebrew Channel/IOS, working internal Wi-Fi networking (experimental), USB 2.0 support, and USB bandwidth improvements. SRB2 will be able to load faster and load more sophisticated levels under mini.
- SRB2Wii now has experimental networking support, the Wii LAN Adapter and Wi-Fi work when running under mini, and the Wii LAN Adapter only when running under IOS from the Homebrew Channel. Check /linux/README in network.tar.bz2.
- Wii Remote configuration interface has been greaty simplified (behind the scenes improvement), the Wii Remote now acts as a keyboard, and this will become obvious once you press some buttons while SRB2 is loading =) Nunchuk, Wii Remote accelerometer and Classic Controller support has been added. Once the controls work in SRB2, you can use the Wii Remote sideways, use the Nunchuk and Wii Remote together (and use the Wii Remote for mouselook), or the Classic Controller. GameCube Controller support will come soon.

If you plan on running SRB2Wii from the Homebrew Channel, download srb2wii-ios.tar.bz2. If you want to try SRB2Wii from mini/BootMii menu (just make sure there isn't any other homebew taking up /bootmii/ppcboot.elf, because SRB2Wii NEEDS to execute from there), download srb2wii-mini.tar.bz2. If you want to get networking running, download network.tar.bz2, extract onto your SD card, and follow the instructions in /linux/README.

Whoever tries SRB2Wii through mini hopefully can report to me that it works, unfortunately I haven't had much luck installing BootMii on my Wii, so I have not been able to test it. Thanks. I subsequently also haven't been able to test that the networking interface works either, so I ask people with a Wii Linux-compatible Wii LAN Adapter and people on Wi-Fi with mini report to me that everything works. Thanks.

At least the controller finally works, nice job, Callum. =)
It's just sad that not many others can appreciate what you're doing here..

At least the controller finally works, nice job, Callum. =)
It's just sad that not many others can appreciate what you're doing here..

Thanks. =) Of course, SRB2 still doesn't pick up the controls, but now that I've made the Wii Remote a keyboard, there is actual proof that SOMETHING is being picked up. =P

News 24/8/2009:
Don't try the mini version, I've just found out how tired I was last night. I've made a huge amount of mistakes, fixing them now. I've also managed to get BootMii installed properly, so I can actually test everything.

SRB2Wii v1.2.1 has been released! Here are the changes:
- Fixed several behind the scenes issues caused by my late night development. If you had a look at my abomination, trust me, you wouldn't be happy. =)
- Partially fixed SRB2Wii/mini, it now starts correctly but it complains that there is no such block device called /dev/mmcblk0p1 during booting even though there is and drops you to a shell which weirdly enough won't accept any input at all.

For people on SRB2Wii/IOS, you won't notice any difference from v1.2.0 to v1.2.1. However, I do strongly suggest you upgrade anyway.

* Callum huggles Oogaland n.n

Oogaland has submitted some endianness fixes for the Software renderer to the SRB2 SVN. When I get home from school (typing this from school right now) I'll checkout and compile this version and test it on SRB2Wii. Fingers crossed!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back