• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

2 pictures in the same day? Dayum, Roach! You are sure putting a lot of work today!

Seriously, you just made my day better. Also, Happy Christmas everyone; I am at the South Hemisphere so things are... hot. At least you can have a good Hot Chocolate while working on this! Keep it up!

@Puppyfaic: I swear I tried to replicate the original signpost picture. The only difference is the bigger hand and that I made him tilt his head a little.

@GuywithPie3376: Don't worry, as in the waiting animation, his quills are much more logical and even this time.

eBlBk8k.png

He's on the way, everyone!

Last edited:
Define "on the way". That sentence could imply he's finished and awaiting moderation, or could mean he's well into development.

To put it exactly, all of the normal Sonic sprites have been replaced. The only apparent things left are the Super Sonic animations, which might not take that long to make. Plus, I still have to make some extra things I have in mind for him~

U0ZGKPK.png

As the brand new and improved Fucking Sonic himself sprite set comes closer to completion, the old Vanilla doppleganger [sic] finds himself in an unfortunate spot. "If this new mini-me comes to town, what will become of myself?" he questions to nobody in particular using the shitty official SRB2 text system.

The thok-spamming motherfucker quickly challenges the likely-to-be-in-2.2 Fucking Sonic himself to an old fashioned showdown in their favorite drag race location, Thok Alleyway Zone™. Unfortunately, to his lack of knowledge, Fucking Sonic himself has plenty of new tricks and abilities up his sleeves to aid him in the race without the necessity of relentless and idiotic thok-spam.

THE ENCOUNTER (Warning, long gif).

THE ENCOUNTER ENCOUNTER (Warning, long gif).

Eventually, even with the endless amounts of jump-button mashing, ol' Vanilla finds himself no match for the a hedgehog that can actually manage to run quickly on his own two legs. What are his untold secrets? Could this be but a mere glimpse? Will people complain that they can't thok-spam anymore anyways??

Whatever it is, it certainly isn't the usual re-skinning of an existing file.

Oh god I think I'm going to cry. This is awesome! MotorRoach, you are one of the best spriters I've ever seen. I am more hyped for this than anything else. I hope we can see the new Super Sonic soon too. Best of luck!

I still think the running animation looks a bit strange, I'd guess because the legs seem too outward, like I said earlier, like a duck. The other animations and such are fantastic however.

So, from thok to win its boost to win!
But in all seriousness it looks like such a great improvment and I hope the gameplay changes are considered.

Defiantly a great improvement! I couldn't stand those games where you'd have everybody just thoking around, its going to allow me to use the other characters more often.

While I do love that you fixed Sonic's squashed head during his idle animation, I have a complaint about his feet. They just look really stiff seeing the left one directly to the front and the right one directly to the side. In fact, the connection with the leg makes the right one look like it's twisting off into the wrong direction (!) Maybe you should angle it a bit where you can see a bit of the right of his foot but tilted to to the front more, and just do something to make the left one less stiff. In fact, it actually kind of looks like you finished the rest of his body and are using his old feet as a placeholder, which explains why the right leg looks like it's twisting.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

THE ENCOUNTER (Warning, long gif).

THE ENCOUNTER ENCOUNTER (Warning, long gif).

Nice new ability, but come Roach Sonic's soles are red during the spinning frames? I know Vanilla Sonic was always switching from black soles to red soles every frame, but isn't Roach Sonic supposed to be consistent with this? And I think that his feet should be bigger during the falling animation. One thing I always hated about Vanilla Sonic is how his feet magically shrink and change shape between his spring jump animation and his falling animation and that is still the case here.

Also, nice springs. Are those going to be in Vanilla next update too? They're certainly better than the Sonic 1 sprite rip ones and weird angled ones.

Last edited:
I still think the running animation looks a bit strange, I'd guess because the legs seem too outward, like I said earlier, like a duck. The other animations and such are fantastic however.

Nope. Done touching that shit, looks fine to me.

EDIT:
Okay so some people got the idea that this Sonic is equally as overpowered as Vanilla Sonic, when that simply isn't the case. This close-race trick really only works up until Techno Hill Zone 2, where there's actually places to stop and get caught in. Sonic here is basically rewarded with greater speed by running for a small period in a CD/Advance-esque fashion, there is no instant gratification 60 action-speed thok since that was cut down to normal speed (though similarly increases upon entering the high-speed mode). He can complete the entire vanilla campaign without cheating, except for one obvious Arid Canyon exploit (due to bad level design that could be bypassed with a badnik bounce in the first place anyways).

Excuse me for possibly building this up the wrong way to show off his abilities in an easier zone to grasp. People who have tried this out so far say he's feels balanced and fun to play. This is just one of the abilities and I wanted to clear it up a bit, hope it doesn't seem like I spoiled anything 'Roach.

Last edited:
So, from thok to win its boost to win!

Finally, SRB2 has become congruent with the rest of the Sonic series.

Well a-actually, I guess we need to develop an SRB2 spinoff for the Source engine now, and port it to the Dreamcast 90% into development so it looses most of it's assets, runs poorly, and gets unnecessarily slammed by reviewers, claiming "it's worse than SRB1".

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back