Who is A441?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shardvex

I am a complete waybackmachine nerd. So anyway, I was browsing srb2 on the waybackmachine, and I found a name that I'm not sure of. Here is the quote:

"I've been very preoccupied with life in general this year, and haven't touched SRB2 too much. Fortunately, a441 and Mystic have been making progress, with my input."

I pretty much know the names of all the STJR, so, who is A441?

In case you all were wondering, this post was posted in Dec. 2005.

And he also messed with the source code if memory serves me right. Kind of like a last "fuck you" to the place. Maybe I'm misinterpreting things again...

It's true that a441 split the IRC community, but I don't remember him trashing the source code or anything. Kinda hard to do that when I maintain the master copy...

a441 left with several massive changes half-completed. Some of those massive changes made playing the beta in the meantime a bit of a problem, such as the multiplayer intermission being non-existent, so if a round ended the game would just outright crash.

This was not him maliciously messing with the game as much as him tearing things out to completely revamp them. It still irritated me to no end at the time, though, since he left the game non-operational in the meantime.

Probably over the years my anger has been exaggerated to what you heard there through retelling of the same old story.

Oh, right! He rewrote the whole way intermission was done but didn't finish it by a long shot. I had to do it.

It's true that a441 split the IRC community

The way JTE wrote it, it sounds more like the guys in #srb2 decided they'd move to a completely different server to #srb2fun. Which I'd take as more #srb2 splitting it, not #srb2fun, surely?

But then again, it's JTE writing it.

The way I remember it, it all started with #srb2netgame being a logical offshoot of #srb2: #'netgame was made by SRB2 players who wanted to talk about the game, while the rest in #srb2 (SRB2 players and non) talked about general discussion.

a441 found his way into #'netgame, and then by some chain of events, drew some newcomers to #'fun, effectively "splitting the community." #'fun was like another "general discussion" channel specifically for the SRB2 players.

Actually, it's a lot simpler than that.

Originally, there was #srb2, a general purpose channel for the SRB2 community. After a while, #srb2 really started to turn into an off-topic channel, mainly for the members of Moogle Cavern. Hence, #srb2netgame was created as a more on-topic channel, originally just for setting up netgames (hence the name). After a while, #srb2netgame became somewhat off-topic with a completely new group of people. Noticing the incoming split, I tried to enforce on-topic discussion into #srb2netgame, which instead caused a441 to create #srb2fun because he didn't want to use #srb2 as an off-topic channel. This generated the permanent community split.

By the time Mysteria died, it was honestly already two completely separate communities, which is why nobody talked to each other on which server to move to. a441 took #srb2fun to AccessIRC, and the people in charge of #srb2 instead chose Esper. The split between two different servers was more just demonstrating that the community had already been permanently fractured than actually marking the point where the fracture happened.

But then again, it's JTE writing it.
I'd like to stress this pretty heavily. That entire history is extremely biased and shouldn't be used as anything other than JTE's musings of the old days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back