SRB2 Message Board

SRB2 Message Board (https://mb.srb2.org/index.php)
-   Video Games (https://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Super Mario 3D All Stars (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=49237)

ClassicNC 09-18-2020 07:45 PM

Super Mario 3D All Stars
 
It's September 18th, y'all. What do you think about SM3DAS?

Icarus 09-18-2020 08:07 PM

It has Super Mario 64, the quintessential 3D platformer so it's entirely worth its cost.

CobaltBW 09-18-2020 09:55 PM

Seems like a cynical cash grab IMO. Straight emulations at full price, while other classic ports like Spyro and Crash received massive visual/audio overhauls at a lower asking price. Limited time only also means this is a scalper's wet dream. Apparently this collection also crashes on modded Switches? Seems pretty consumer hostile.

Nicholas the Hedgefox 09-19-2020 12:21 AM

I havent played it, But looks great!

Charonik08 09-19-2020 12:09 PM

I agree with Cobalt, this is a big cash grab. To give you an example, on the Wii Virtual Console, AT MOST, you could find SM64 for 7$, Sunshine for 7$ as well, and Galaxy 1 for the last price it was sold at, so 20$, count that up and its at most 34$. And I’ve heard people that have gotten CHEAPER than 20$ for all three games, not even counting that a lot of people of pirated these games as well for practically free.

They are merely emulators with small tweaks and changes. Something I don’t get is why did they not port SM64 to widescreen like they did with Sunshine? They did it with Sunshine yet it looks like they were too lazy to do the rest. But ohhh there’s new buttons prompts in SM64! Literally does not matter if we were able to get something better yet we didn’t. And like Cobalt said, it’s limited time, so for collectors, they have to get it due to the future rareness of the game.

Icarus 09-19-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobaltBW (Post 836595)
Seems like a cynical cash grab IMO. Straight emulations at full price, while other classic ports like Spyro and Crash received massive visual/audio overhauls at a lower asking price. Limited time only also means this is a scalper's wet dream. Apparently this collection also crashes on modded Switches? Seems pretty consumer hostile.

Cynical Cash Grab? Re-releasing timeless classics = Cash Grab? Then Sonic Jam is a cynical Cash Grab as well.


As for Spyro and Crash those series got nice remakes but honestly Mario has aged much better than those (Galaxy and Sunshine are still gorgeous for 10+ years old games, Mario 64 should stay low poly).


Also modded Switches are breaking the rules, don't be surprised if newer game aren't compatible with them.


Also Scalpers are bad people but it shouldn't be the fault of collector game existing...

SilverVortex 09-19-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 836639)
Cynical Cash Grab? Re-releasing timeless classics = Cash Grab? Then Sonic Jam is a cynical Cash Grab as well.

to be completely fair, sonic jam: 1. has a lot more games to offer, 2. has a lot of extras and bonuses to offer as unlockables, and most importantly 3. there's a fully explorable overworld between all these aspects of the collection, with missions and collectibles to offer. why? because they could.

mario 3d all stars has better games in the collection, yes, but they did the complete bare minimum in production. they made a small menu, loading screens with old renders, included the soundtracks of the games and adapted the controls to somewhat suit the switch.

i personally think sonic jam is much better, not only because of the quantity, but also because of the heart, soul and quality that was stuffed in along with that quantity. i'm not saying mario 3d all stars is bad, it is a fine collection of masterpieces, but it is indeed a cynical cashgrab, especially in contrast to other collections even nintendo themselves have made.

Icarus 09-19-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverVortex (Post 836641)
to be completely fair, sonic jam: 1. has a lot more games to offer, 2. has a lot of extras and bonuses to offer as unlockables, and most importantly 3. there's a fully explorable overworld between all these aspects of the collection, with missions and collectibles to offer. why? because they could.

mario 3d all stars has better games in the collection, yes, but they did the complete bare minimum in production. they made a small menu, loading screens with old renders, included the soundtracks of the games and adapted the controls to somewhat suit the switch.

i personally think sonic jam is much better, not only because of the quantity, but also because of the heart, soul and quality that was stuffed in along with that quantity. i'm not saying mario 3d all stars is bad, it is a fine collection of masterpieces, but it is indeed a cynical cashgrab, especially in contrast to other collections even nintendo themselves have made.

The thing is that the "3D overworld" isn't that good.


Mario 64 and Galaxy are such perfect games you don't even need to add anything to them.

SilverVortex 09-19-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 836642)
The thing is that the "3D overworld" isn't that good.


Mario 64 and Galaxy are such perfect games you don't even need to add anything to them.

the 3d overworld may or may not be good, but it matters more that they made it in the first place, just for a simple collection of games, art, music, and more.

i do definitely agree with the mario 64 and galaxy thing though. i would add a few comments to it but i don't have the collection, even though they seem to be virtually identical to the originals, which i have played.

CobaltBW 09-19-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 836639)
Cynical Cash Grab? Re-releasing timeless classics = Cash Grab? Then Sonic Jam is a cynical Cash Grab as well.

What's cynical about it? Sonic Jam comes packaged with an exclusive 3D hub world and all sorts of extraneous media tidbits, and it is the only console release of Sonic the Fighters that I'm aware of. To my knowledge, it was also not marketed as a limited-time collectors item for the scalpers to collect. (Was it $60 at launch? I can't rewind the clock, but I doubt it.) With the exception of the "straight emulations" part, none of my arguments apply to Sonic Jam.

Quote:

As for Spyro and Crash those series got nice remakes but honestly Mario has aged much better than those (Galaxy and Sunshine are still gorgeous for 10+ years old games, Mario 64 should stay low poly).
Galaxy and Sunshine are a given, but are you telling me fans wouldn't salivate over an HD remake of Mario 64? Sheeit.

Quote:

Also modded Switches are breaking the rules, don't be surprised if newer game aren't compatible with them.
IIRC modding is not illegal, so I don't know what you mean by "breaking the rules". Of course I'm not surprised that it's incompatible with modded Switches; Nintendo has a storied history of ensuring that users can only operate consoles in an autocratic, sterilized environment. I expect it from them, but I am not sympathetic towards their policy.

Quote:

Also Scalpers are bad people but it shouldn't be the fault of collector game existing...
Nintendo chose to produce the game in limited capacity knowing full well that it would become a collector's item. They absolutely have control over the scalping situation, in the sense that all they would have to do is produce more hardcopies.

Chezi 09-20-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobaltBW (Post 836646)
Galaxy and Sunshine are a given, but are you telling me fans wouldn't salivate over an HD remake of Mario 64? Sheeit.

You have to remember that Nintendo had to do something for Mario's 35th Anniversary and they had no way to make a full on remake with the current state of the world

Cotton_Candy_2C 09-20-2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chezi (Post 836669)
You have to remember that Nintendo had to do something for Mario's 35th Anniversary and they had no way to make a full on remake with the current state of the world

They don't exactly have to make a game though. For Mario's 20th anniversary, all they had was a Gameboy and a sound collection, his 25th anniversary gave us something slapped together at the last minute, as if Nintendo forgot about Mario's anniversary, and I doubt that Mario Maker was gonna be a 30th anniversary game

Chezi 09-20-2020 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotton_Candy_2C (Post 836676)
They don't exactly have to make a game though. For Mario's 20th anniversary, all they had was a Gameboy and a sound collection, his 25th anniversary gave us something slapped together at the last minute, as if Nintendo forgot about Mario's anniversary, and I doubt that Mario Maker was gonna be a 30th anniversary game

That only proves my point further. They had planned this collection for a while and current world circumstances probably messed things up for them

Neo_Cat3 09-20-2020 07:27 AM

I don't think it's worth the money. it's just a couple of ports with upscaled graphics. Sunshine in widescreen is it's only part that i would maybe buy it. the music player is just... come on nintendo put your music on spotify. even if they were just ports it would've been fine BUT: 1. it's limited release whitch means go get it now or you don't get it at all. And 2. It's way overpriced for just a bunch' o ports. The whole 35th aniversary has been kinda dissapointing so far. The only thing i'll be getting from it is mario 3d world beacouse i heard it's a good game and my laptop can't handle wii u emulation. Also when they mentioned the "mario themed products" in the European direct there were only like mcdonalds toys.

WarioTime! 09-20-2020 03:07 PM

It seems fun and I would buy it, I just find it odd how they'll get rid of it after March, but it seems understandable.

SilverVortex 09-20-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarioTime! (Post 836707)
It seems fun and I would buy it, I just find it odd how they'll get rid of it after March, but it seems understandable.

understandable.....how, exactly? if anything this just means that nintendo is willing to make a game artificially rare just so they can sell a few extra copies, which is setting the scumbag meter on fire.

ClassicNC 09-20-2020 04:26 PM

I think it's worth it just for Galaxy. Going into the game blind is amazing, and if you've never played Galaxy, please play it on the switch.
Other than that, yeah, this is kinda scummy. If they addd Galaxy 2 as a free update, that would definitely justify the price. I think didn't release the pack with Galaxy 2 to see if the Galaxy playstyle on the switch gets good feedback so they can add it in later. If it doesn't, then no Galaxy 2 for us.

Icarus 09-20-2020 05:34 PM

I don't care, Mario 64 is like the best 3D game of all time (with Ocarina of Time) and making it something else than low-poly would ruin the game.


I could even say that Crash and Spyro had a better aesthetic when they were on the PS1, nowadays game are boringly realistic.


This is also why 2D and Low-Poly Sonic >>>>>>> any kind of Modern Sonic made after the Saturn.

Tjoc55 09-20-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 836721)
I don't care, Mario 64 is like the best 3D game of all time (with Ocarina of Time) and making it something else than low-poly would ruin the game.


I could even say that Crash and Spyro had a better aesthetic when they were on the PS1, nowadays game are boringly realistic.


This is also why 2D and Low-Poly Sonic >>>>>>> any kind of Modern Sonic made after the Saturn.

How is super Mario 64 the best 3D game of all time? Mario Sunshine and Mario Odyssey are better. Also majora's mask is better than ocarina of time.

ClassicNC 09-20-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjoc55 (Post 836723)
How is super Mario 64 the best 3D game of all time? Mario Sunshine and Mario Odyssey are better. Also majora's mask is better than ocarina of time.

I mean, it's his opinion. A hot take, sure, but an opinion nonetheless.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.