Halo 2 PC. Finally announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianv

http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=halo2vistaannounce&p=6136047
Halo 2, on Windows Vista. Halo 2, you may remember, is a "shoot them up" featuring the adventures of Master Chief and his wacky sidekick, Cortana. Well, Halo 2 you know about, but Vista, what the heck is that?

Windows Vista is the next generation Microsoft operating system that will by turns, be sweet, awesome, radical, and potentially translucent (in places). It will also add layers of new functionality, speed, media processing and so on. I have heard a rumor, in fact, that it will replicate a lot of the functionality of them new-fangled Media Center PCs so that you can stream HD and whatnot to your Xbox 360. If that's true, that would also be nice.

The game WILL be for Windows Vista, as in, not for Windows XP, so you have a while to get used to that and complain to me about what a jerk I am to Windows 3.1 users.

But back to Halo 2. We're working with another team at MS to make this not only happen, but happen in a super-sweet radical fashion. To that end, we're going to be helping with a lot of aspects, but don't worry, we are not doing the actual coding work – we're too busy with ONP (Our Next Project). In fact, a lot of you spotted the job postings at Bungie.net asking for, "programmers who are awesome at programming Halo 2 Xbox to work on a PC," and other subtle clues.

Using your Sherlock Holmes-ian powers of deduction, you probably figured it out. Anyway, there will be significant differences between the PC and the Xbox version. The PC for example, invariably runs at resolutions that aren't 480i. So there's that. The specs and features have been targeted, but not carved in stone, and things will change, so we're NOT going to announce anything more specific than you find here today.

One HUGE difference between Xbox and PC versions is the absence of Xbox Live. Now, much as a subset of you likes to bitch and moan about Live matchmaking, most of you agree it's a very nice way to find games in a hurry. But don't worry, we'll have a cool system for that, no doubt.

There will also be some kind of map-customization ability. Does that mean you can build your own maps from scratch, pixel by pixel, importing your own textures, scripts and detailed shaders? Or does it mean one empty room and a crate? Well, we'll have more news on that later this year, but it will be cool, we guarantee that.

There's loads of questions the Bungie faithful will ask, like, "Will there be a Mac version?" We can't answer that yet. It's not out of the question, but it's not definitely happening either. We promise to keep you posted.

Sounds cool, but too bad it's not for XP... I hope they port it to the mac too only because my brother is going to get one of those soon. Of course I already have it for xbox, so why would I want it for pc...simple answer, another thing to do in school :twisted:

And guess what, when users without 64bit processors can't play it, they'll go complain in the forums... A large percentage of people DON'T own them, so online would suck regardless =P

Although, I'm sure someone will go and crack it to play on XP :lol:

Lostgame said:
supershadow2 said:
Roboashura said:
Halo 2 is overrated. =/

Seconded.

Thirded, fourthed and fifthed. Seriously, it's not that great. Metroid Prime 1/2 owns it in every way. Except multiplayer, obviously.
Never been a fan of metriod prime, never got passed that part that pised me off in the first game. Metroid prime hunters (ds) looks pretty good though.

Lostgame said:
supershadow2 said:
Roboashura said:
Halo 2 is overrated. =/

Seconded.

Thirded, fourthed and fifthed. Seriously, it's not that great. Metroid Prime 1/2 owns it in every way. Except multiplayer, obviously.
Agreed on all accounts. MP does indeed own it in every way. Easier, more background info(Although it can be tough to find... >_<), more stuff to do instead of crappy weapons, etc.

Halo PC is overrated. Halo Xbox is heavily overrated. Dual-stick aiming can burn in hell. Once I heard this dumb guy say how he liked the announcer voice. That dumb guy should be shot. Everyone knows that the UT/UT2004 announcer voiceovers are far better. Killing spreeee! Dominating! M-m-m-m-m-monster kill -ster kill -ster kill -ster kill

Oh yeah, and seeing Master Chief everywhere on the internet is annoying enough for me to AdBlock avatars with him on it.

Halo is WAY over-rated. I think Gun would be better than Halo if it weren't so short.

For Halo, if you don't have XBox Live, you're fun level shoots down a bit.

Why does everyone hate halo so much? Its a really fun game. If your into first person shooters with guns.

Well, it's not that we hate it, it's just overrated. It gets irritating hearing "omfg halo iz teh bomz0rs!!!11!!" all the freakin' time.

Exactly. It's not like it's a bad game, but people think TOO much of it. Hence why we say it's overrated and not sucky.

I really, really hate Halo 2. And I will never understand anyone who really thinks it's as good as you all claim it to be =/

If you want a good FPS, go play, like I've mentioned, TimeSplitters 2. Hell, Future Perfect works too, it just doesn't have as much of an 'arcade game' feel to it. Seriously, they're both leagues better then either Halo game.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
I really, really hate Halo 2. And I will never understand anyone who really thinks it's as good as you all claim it to be =/

If you want a good FPS, go play, like I've mentioned, TimeSplitters 2. Hell, Future Perfect works too, it just doesn't have as much of an 'arcade game' feel to it. Seriously, they're both leagues better then either Halo game.
Whats Future Perfect? And why would I play Timesplitters 2?

I guess UT is okay if it didn't suck a lot on the dreamcast(I'm sure the grapics coulda been better). UT2004, runs at a solid 1fps on my pc so thats no good.

Never been interested in quake or doom games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back