SRB2 Message Board

SRB2 Message Board (https://mb.srb2.org/index.php)
-   SRB2 Discussion (https://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   SRB2 Unofficially(?) on Mobile (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=47469)

JakeLeB 05-13-2020 04:00 AM

SRB2 Unofficially(?) on Mobile
 
Today I was just minding my buisness when a video titled "SRB2 2.2.4 for Android PORT" appeared in my subscription box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13PeO0eV6_0

Naturally, I was curious and checked it out. To my shock, it was an actual port. It worked. Addons run well, and I can just...boot it up whenever I can.

So...let's discuss this. What is your opinion on this?

XleederTH 05-13-2020 04:38 AM

I think the Android source code is somewhere in the GitHub. So... I guess he only compiled it?

JakeLeB 05-13-2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XleederTH (Post 823035)
I think the Android source code is somewhere in the GitHub. So... I guess he only compiled it?

I didn't know there WAS such thing. Is there one for SRB2kart?

NeonSynth 05-13-2020 05:22 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I see the splash screen for a split second (which doesn't seem to load any files as it shows no text) and then it leaves the app. I copied everything over correctly.

XleederTH 05-13-2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLeB (Post 823036)
I didn't know there WAS such thing. Is there one for SRB2kart?

I haven't see any SRB2K source code - but if I find it, I will surely hit you up.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

I found something - I don't think it's updated though; it's from 6 years ago. Maybe it just proves the guy had to work a little more to make it work in Android.

SnocBoi 05-13-2020 04:26 PM

Whoa, the guy that ported 2.2 to Android is an *absolute* madlad!

RomioTheBadass 05-13-2020 07:17 PM

Sweet, I'll check this out, I always wanted something like this.

ClassicNC 05-13-2020 07:50 PM

The online works surprisingly well, there's controller support, add-ons work very well (at least small ones, bigger ones lag alot). All in all, it's a really good port!

Radicalicious 05-13-2020 08:53 PM

I took a look at this and noticed a few things that caught my eye. First, isn't this just a compiled APK of Jimita's Android port? I don't really see anyplace in the video crediting him at all. Seems awfully scummy if you ask me. To add onto that, are we even sure this is a safe APK file? I'm not one to say "iS tHiS vIrUs" on every single piece of software ever invented, but I do know that a lot of people that make unofficial Android ports of software aren't entirely trustworthy. Maybe I'm just being overly skeptical, but I don't think I'll use an Android port until I can compile Jimita's on my own. Sorry y'all :P


Also, he made a video titled "Sonic Mania on Android (Real FULL Game)", lmao.

ClassicNC 05-13-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalicious (Post 823094)
Also, he made a video titled "Sonic Mania on Android (Real FULL Game)", lmao.

The sad thing about that is that it requires a PC emulator, and he strait up gives out a Sonic Mania setup file. So it's basically just a free Sonic Mania giveaway.

Radicalicious 05-13-2020 10:12 PM

Oh, really? You mean, like the installation .exe file? I thought it was a Steam game, though.

Icarus 05-13-2020 10:45 PM

That's actually piracy because Mania is an officially sold game.


I don't mind if it was any fangame like Before the Sequel (even though I think LakeFeperd wouldn't agree about someone porting his game)

RomioTheBadass 05-13-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalicious (Post 823094)
are we even sure this is a safe APK file? I'm not one to say "iS tHiS vIrUs" on every single piece of software ever invented, but I do know that a lot of people that make unofficial Android ports of software aren't entirely trustworthy. Maybe I'm just being overly skeptical

I tested it, works perfectly fine.

ClassicNC 05-14-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarus (Post 823122)
That's actually piracy because Mania is an officially sold game

I brought the game with money like a good boi, so I used that instead.

ChrisHighwind 05-17-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicNC (Post 823087)
The online works surprisingly well, there's controller support, add-ons work very well (at least small ones, bigger ones lag alot). All in all, it's a really good port!

I have noticed however, that mods with Lua in them cause the game to sigsegv, as was the case when I tried to add Modern Sonic and Neo Sonic.

ClassicNC 05-17-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSI Hedgehog Chris (Post 823471)
I have noticed however, that mods with Lua in them cause the game to sigsegv, as was the case when I tried to add Modern Sonic and Neo Sonic.

Modern and Neo both work just fine for me.

Silver Sonic 05-17-2020 11:26 PM

I actually feel uncomfortable that someone made efforts to port this without providing source, build instructions and without announcing it here. I don't want to assume there is something nefarious hidden in there, though...

Icarus 05-17-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Sonic (Post 823489)
I actually feel uncomfortable that someone made efforts to port this without providing source, build instructions and without announcing it here. I don't want to assume there is something nefarious hidden in there, though...

Yeah, it looks like when a bootleg/pirate version of a game has been made...

NeonSynth 05-18-2020 01:09 AM

Ugh... Tried this a few times. No matter what I do, it shows the splash screen, doesn't load any files and quickly jumps back to the home screen. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 btw.

TelosTurntable 05-18-2020 05:30 PM

Actually, it's on github, you guys just never looked


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.