• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Ramp Project *update as of 7/5/06*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuffle said:
http://home.comcast.net/~mlmars/slopes3.zip
Here's "sorta working" slopes.
By sorta working, I mean that you can walk on them, but you cannot jump, and they only work if you place the right side of the slope on 0 on the x axis.. It's hardly useful in the actual game, but it was a little fun to make :).
Note: You also can't jump on 'em, and don't bother spinning, you don't speed up while going downhill. Also, you get stuck sometimes if you run too fast. X_x

i should look into the wad and start making slopes now :D

Don't bother. The tangible slope is fixed; you can alter where the slope graphic goes, but the tangible part of the slope is fixed in that angle.

Shuffle:
Uh, not working at all, actually. I can load and extract the files, but the launcher claims that all the EXEs are corrupted, and I can't remember how to fix that. I can run the WADs under the original EXE, but for the first two I got completely flat, nothing levels, and the third I got two thick walls with messed up graphics (software) or redwall (OpenGL).

Draykon:
Thanks. I tried running SRB2 normally under OpenGL, and while it looked just slightly nicer, the letters were somewhat fuzzy and there was some lag. I'd like to be able to do this kind of thing in both modes, though, because I personally liked it better under software, and you said not all PCs can handle OpenGL. Oh, and it's 16 new sprites, but eight of them are identical to the other eight, only rotated 45 degrees.

Flame_the_hedgehog:
Can you post a copy of the WAD? I'm curious as to what you have so far, even if it does crash. Just as long as it doesn't wreck my computer or something....

FuriousFox:
When you say "slope's floor", do you mean the flat floor of the sector, or the surface of the actual slope? I'm assuming it's the former.

Antiporcupine said:
Shuffle:
Uh, not working at all, actually. I can load and extract the files, but the launcher claims that all the EXEs are corrupted, and I can't remember how to fix that. I can run the WADs under the original EXE, but for the first two I got completely flat, nothing levels, and the third I got two thick walls with messed up graphics (software) or redwall (OpenGL).

Simple answer: don't use the official launcher. :P Yeah, I am a bit biased, as I'm working on my own little launcher right now..

Prime 2.0 said:
Don't bother. The tangible slope is fixed; you can alter where the slope graphic goes, but the tangible part of the slope is fixed in that angle.
Actually, you can change the length of the slope and it should work. However, you can't move the starting point, so.. ^^'

FoxBlitzz said:
Simple answer: don't use the official launcher. :P Yeah, I am a bit biased, as I'm working on my own little launcher right now..

Sorry; doesn't work either. That's actually what I tried first; then I used the launcher. Both times I got an error dialog saying "corrupted or modified file" or something like that. Any ideas?

Don't use DarkWarrior's exe, use mine. His is for an older version of SRB2.
Unless, of course.. you haven't updated to 1.09.3.

Try it running batches, and not the launcher? :?
I'm a bit confused as to your problem.

fox.dx2 said:
It worked perfectly! I wish I could see the textures on the slopes though.

Use Opengl

Click Start -> Run > browse for srb2win.exe, add -opengl to end.

Antiporcupine said:
:oops: I just looked at my version number and it said 1.09.2. Oops. downloading 1.09.3 now. Now I know what my problem was.

dont forget to update your EXE, to 1.09.3.7 :D

Hokay, I finally looked at the slope3 WAD with 1.09.3.7. After messing with it for some time, I noticed that what it seems to do is restrict all movement to just on the slope itself. As the origin coordinates for a given object are at the bottom middle of the object, I think that the slope code is restricting the objects to only move on that plane. If I thok, fly, or glide over the sector, I am instantly forced back on the "ground" of it, but the program still thinks I am flying or gliding. When I am just standing on it, it thinks I am at the edge of a ledge (hey, that rhymes). It sounds to me that, if we can convince the program that the ramp is NOT a ledge, some of these problems can be fixed. What think?
Also, next I'm going to attempt to add things to the ramp to see the results. It's just, I've been busy again and am just now getting to this. However, it looks like slope3 is a good start for some good results.

This would own if you could get it working correctly, then we could have fully working slopes in SRB2! think of how it would enhance maps...

Antiporcupine said:
Hokay, I finally looked at the slope3 WAD with 1.09.3.7. After messing with it for some time, I noticed that what it seems to do is restrict all movement to just on the slope itself. As the origin coordinates for a given object are at the bottom middle of the object, I think that the slope code is restricting the objects to only move on that plane. If I thok, fly, or glide over the sector, I am instantly forced back on the "ground" of it, but the program still thinks I am flying or gliding. When I am just standing on it, it thinks I am at the edge of a ledge (hey, that rhymes).
I already fixed both of those bugs. :)
http://home.comcast.net/~mlmars/slopes5.zip
Also, I've decided to stop working on this (boy, that didn't last long, did it?). I figured that if slopes are done, they should be done with real physics, not with my cheap hacks.
Edit: Everyone wants me to give you the code I have so far, so here ya' go. It goes in P_PlayerThink.
http://home.comcast.net/~mlmars/slopes.txt

Ironic that Shuffle did all the work and we never saw Antiporcupine move a musle... XD
Only 4 things wrong now!:
1: When spindashing on a slope, you stay in your stinding sprite until you release the button.
2: When you speed-thok the slope from the bottom, you stay in your rolling sprite at the top.
3: When you speed-thok the slope from the top, if you get to a certian farness away you will land straight away on the ground!
4: I don't see anything to walk on XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back