• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2-S3k

Will I succeed?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• If you get enough help.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why it's so difficult... what deters people? How come it's a challenge to make SP levels... good ones, I mean. :wink:

hotdog003 said:
I hope that the next contest is gonna be SP. That way, I can release Floodwater Forest!
Contest entries have to be made for the contest. If it's already done, why don't you just submit it normally?

saph said:
I don't get why it's so difficult... what deters people? How come it's a challenge to make SP levels... good ones, I mean. :wink:
Because they take a long time to make, and require many different things to be considered good (Multiple paths, secrets, different sets of enemies for different difficulties, etc.)

SS119: Ok we are starting a contest, to see who can make the best SP(Singleplayer/Co-op)level. The rules are as follows.

This month is a 3D remake of AIZ. (AIZ is Angel Island Zone)

1. Custom things are allowed now

2. You may not copy the level exactly, but you may use it for refrence.

3. Don't steal someone else's AIZ wad (if they made one before) and claim it as your own.

Ok, that's it for the rules remember this is a SP/Co-op Wad not a DM/Match, CTF, TAG, and Chaos Wad.

Entries must be in before March 5 at 10:00 PM EST (I think that may be 1:00 am GMT) send your submissions to ssj2gohan1111@hotmail.com

Whoever wins will most likely get their wad put into Srb2-S3K

Eh... wouldn't that be modifying somebody else's work without their permission? Chances are that could also come out looking wrong.

:) Sorry, Jetcrazy...but...it's not THAT simple. I wish it were though.

(Furious Fox)Ritz, the problem would be in all of the maincfg lumps. They would affect every level in the pack, which could make things not play as they should. Also, last time Custom Textures were allowed, it took a long time to get the wad out, because some people's textures were overwriting other's. It also probably took a while to extract the textures from the original wad, and then re-add them to the pack. File size would also be an issue, since SP levels can get quite large.

So, instead of one giant PWAD, make a zip file of several, small, one-level PWADS. As long as they don't try to use more than one at once (which won't work, thanks to them pesky TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps), each level can do whatever they want as far as custom textures and music goes.

Allow custom textures and music, just have the texture names go after HTDG_ or something like that, ex. HTDG_001, HTDG_002, etc. For someone else, like Mystic, his textures would be MYS_0001, etc.
Just don't allow MAINCFGs.

EDIT: Nevermind... I understand now.

I'm still willing to make a contest with custom textures and music using a single wad... :roll: The only problem is MainCfg, because that would take a bit to make it all work together (if it is still possable to do so). There aren't a lot of unused objects, you know. However... Making them all use seperate wads will not fix this. You would have to close SRB2 and restart every single map so that the memory is cleared out again and that can be a major pain. As if we didn't have enough Segment Violations to do that for us! :|

Hmm... I guess it might be a good idea to start the contest AFTER I have everything sorted out...so... What will it be? Custom stuff, or none?

Also, I'm sorry for the misspelling, Jet*K*razy

custom. It seems a lot of people like doing custom things. And we should include the rule about MAINCFG and stuff

maybe we could also have custom characters while we're at it

That strikes me as rather off-topic, announcing your website. :|

You know, there's a place in your profile where you can put that website link, and people can just click a WWW link at the bottom of your profile, and they go to that website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back