• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shadow the hedgehog remake, Final Beta released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
His shoe soles are still too big in that 1 frame. And his hands looked fine before, all you had to do was move the thumb.
EDIT: Also, if you look at it, it looks like he's running.

Dr.Pepper said:
Uber important bump! :D
4.gif

Still needs more work, but what do you guys think? I gave up on making his arms swing around like they do in SA2, there just isn't enough frames for that.

I like this one better:

3.gif

Dr.Pepper said:
Ice said:
I have to say I like level wads more than character wads though.
What gave you the impression that I like characters more than levels?

Um, who said I had that impression? I guess I must have written it wrong or something, but just to clarify, I was simply voicing my opinion, and not opposing yours.

Ok, who's all for me giving up on this WAD and handing it to someone else? D: *stabbed and shot without remorse*
Seriously, I've been spending more time on just his stupid running frames than any other time-consuming part of the WAD, that's pretty bad I think. :P Shadow could have been done a long time ago no thanks to those stupid frames, and I've got other projects I'd like to work on. My skin's been crawling to work on the Blaze Rider and some other WAD. D:
Leaving his hands like that is a mistake, how often do people skate with their hands behind their backs? xD
The thing is, I don't have eight frames to work with, only four. Anyone noticed how Shadow's arms 'swing' back and forth while running in SA2? With only 4 frames instead of 8, I can't completely animate that, so no one could see his hands move past his torso. I need to see videos of Shadow running to get a better idea of how to make him skate, rather than just paste some walking frames in there like Donnyku did. :P If ANYONE has a suggestion for his running frames, please voice it here, I'm running out of ideas and might give up on Shadow over just these 16 freakin' frames!
Ice said:
Um, who said I had that impression? I guess I must have written it wrong or something, but just to clarify, I was simply voicing my opinion, and not opposing yours.
I thought your opinion was directed at me, my apologies.

Don't shoot yourselves yet guys, :P I won't actually give up on Shadow if I have the skillz, I've gotten this far haven't I? Besides, there's always the extra ego points for out-doing both of Donykku's old WADs. :P *shot*
We just need to agree on how Shadow will run, or else I'll make him use walking frames like Donykku's Shadow and call it a day. xD *Thwomp'd*
SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Me! Try your hand at level WADs!
Is map making really as hard as it looks? Taking a quick peak at the wiki makes me feel overwhelmed. D: If it doesn't require too much of my time to learn how to use SRB2 Doom Builder, I'd go for it.
I'd love to make SRB2 levels, and always enjoy designing levels in general. I currently want to make a match map similar to an old neighborhood I used to live in, it would be perfectly suited for match. >:D

The more maps you make, the more you learn about SRB2DB, so go start now! You don't HAVE to look at my tutorial or ST218's tutorial, but they help if you need to learn a simple task in level editing. Making character WADs is a HECK of a lot harder and more time-consuming.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
You just saved the day, nitro. :D It looks good in game too! I'll be busy finishing the rest of the angles if nobody has any complaints.
Also, there was this tragic socing accident while working on Shadow...
srb20005.png

srb20007.png

....I fail at Socing xD!
The more maps you make, the more you learn about SRB2DB, so go start now! You don't HAVE to look at my tutorial or ST218's tutorial, but they help if you need to learn a simple task in level editing.
Thanks for the tip, I just installed SRB2 Doom Builder on Vista. (and it almost worked in WINE. :P) I'll use your tutorial to help me ease into it.
Making character WADs is a HECK of a lot harder and more time-consuming.
Characters aren't actually difficult for me to do, and I really enjoy drawing female characters, but WADs like Shadow are a complete pain in the neck to sprite! *shot* I can't tell you how many more liters of soda have went into his shoes than the rest of the sprites. :P
So it doesn't matter whether it be characters or levels, it actually depends on the difficulty of the WAD for it to actually be hard and time-consuming. I could finish Amy in one month, but who knows how long it took SSN to make Sonic. :P

Why do you need to quote very big pictures when they are in the previous post that is also right next to your post?

I gave Shadow's spawn-state the wrong value and got lasers. :P So I got bored and 'drew' the fail text by spin dashing. xD
I'm also making progress on the rest of his running frames, just need to finish his back-diagonals. :D XWE runs pretty good in WINE, btw. *shot*
Also HSX, how's HMA coming along? :P *stabbed*

It's an infection.

Also Dr. Pepper, I could see you becoming a very good mapper due to the painstaking amount of quality you use to make your wads. Mapping is much simpler than character wadding.

Dr.Pepper said:
Also HSX, how's HMA coming along? :P *stabbed*

*facepalm* ARGH

Man, I forgot about that WAD. >.<

.... not really, I just couldn't really work on it because of my daily needs. Same with the Super Shadow sprites. :<

I have one last beta of Shadow before the final release, as his other running frame angles still need more work, I suck very badly at drawing skating. :P Also, since I can't download any of Senku's WADs, I can't get the 'free' spawnstate I need so Shadow's spintrail won't conflict with Rouge's.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wdmyouzwynz
nitro_the_hedghog said:
Dr.Pepper, don't overuse the shot thing.
I've been abusing it since I got here, and you're just now complaining about it? :P *KO'd* Sorry about that, I'll lay off some.
Ice said:
Also Dr. Pepper, I could see you becoming a very good mapper due to the painstaking amount of quality you use to make your wads. Mapping is much simpler than character wadding.
Now two respected mappers are telling me SRB2 level making isn't extremely difficult. :)
I've never made 3D maps before, but I have done some 2D ones, which you can see in action in Sonic Advanced. (I still need to get better at balancing out gimmicks and hazards, but at least the levels don't suck overall. :P The download link to my fan game is in my profile) Now that I have the 3rd dimension to work with, I should have a lot more freedom in my designs. :D
Hyper Shadic X said:
not really, I just couldn't really work on it because of my daily needs. Same with the Super Shadow sprites. :<
D: *sobs*
Senku Niola said:
*pokes his example* :<
*Example now noticed* :) I'll try making Shadow skate like that and see if it's better.

I'm a respected level designer? :DDD Anyway, if you've already had experience with Sonic level design, your first 3D Sonic level will probably be not too bad. Almost everyone's first SRB2 level is very below average (just look at my Cosmic Warehouse Zone from the NovDec07 OLDC), but having experience, yours should be a heck of a lot better than the average first WAD. Plus, you DEFINITELY sound like you can be one of the better ones simply out of the fact that you REALLY care about effort. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back