• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dash's World: Moving to releases/massive update

Status
Not open for further replies.
JEV3 said:
BlueZero4 said:
Are we, are we required to walk on the pipes?

Vulcan Forge Zone ftw!
D:

Mystic Realm kinda sux. Pipes are hard to stay on, and slowing down enough to make good enough jumps just kills the flow. If DashFox can make a better level than Mystic, I'm all for it.

Not really, it takes some practice but it can be done, I was able to go over the second section of PAZ 1 with the narrow prisms on the bottom without stopping. However I found to my displeasure that 3 lives isn't enough for that level unless you REALLY like the first two sections.

These pipes look fine anyways, I actually hope that the level he showed a little bit progresses into a level in its own right rather than a teaser.

Some advice: Don't change ANYTHING just for the sake of changing it (except levels) This will really lower the amount of work. The Mario and Nights stuff probably shouldn't be changed (excluding emblem).

Changing Robotnik to 3d is not a good idea unless you wish to exploit this to a great extent. 3d objects are pointless if sprites look just as good, and meanwhile, sprites fit better with the SRB2 style. 3d modelling existing sprites is especially pointless for things such as trees and flowers which would take alot of polies or be just as flat as always.

Trust me, I know from experience, I made a compilation mod and tried changing EVERYTHING whether with my stuff or not (never released it online don't worry) Therefore much of it was poor quality and what was good quality took away the time I needed to make the others better quality.

Your mod has a lot of potential, and I don't doubt that you could make this into a really great mod, just don't change anything just for the sake of changing it. If it adds more to the style, good. If it adds original features to the gameplay, good. If it really only looks different and has no use, then that is effort that should have been spent on other things.

Not to be overly critical, but I just wanted to really point out what it looks like BZ4 has been trying to say in a organized manner. Even 'Total Conversions' don't need everything changed, they probably don't even need everything period.

Hope this helps! ;-)

I actually find 3D models in SRB2 to be a overrated concept. It doesn't look much better than sprites, infact, sprites are better. Not only can you achieve much more complex character and object designs with sprites, but you can create much more fluid animations, something a Sonic game needs. Models also tend to look weird due to the fact that there are no shadows what-so ever. If you don't spend you time making models, and spend more time creating levels, you might be doing yourself a favor.

There's just a few things I want to note here:

This is not supposed to be realated to Sonic's World, it's Dash's World, there is no eggman and there's no rings, rings are called gems, and bosses aren't robots, they're monsters.

I'm not going to include 3D models in the first release, detailed 3D models take some time to make, I'm just focusing on the levels right now, and only one boss might be in 3D(There's different kinds of bosses in this mod.), right now I'm deciding if I should even include 3D models or not.

Also, if I do replace sprites, they will be good sprites, I don't have a time limit to release this, so I can take my time and make a good, detailed mod.

If you are going to completely change the environment then you'll need to make it interesting enough to be worth changing into. It looks pretty good so far and I can't wait to see some enemy/boss concepts and sprites.

Do you have an outline for what STK are doing in Dash's world?

Some cutscene stuff:
GW190H202.png

An uncolored, unedited picture of Sonic, this is a cutscene concept to give you an idea of what the style of the cutscenes are going to look like, what do you think? I drew it myself. (Boss and enemy concepts/sprites comming soon!)

1.WOW, those textuers look awesome.
2. You don't. Make the "Dash" char look better.
EDIT: Never mind, just saw the newer sprite. But the old one was bad.
3. How about showing me some 3d models? My pal Ben wants to know... (flashes $100 bill)

DashFox2007 said:
Some cutscene stuff:
GW190H202.png

An uncolored, unedited picture of Sonic, this is a cutscene concept to give you an idea of what the style of the cutscenes are going to look like, what do you think? I drew it myself. (Boss and enemy concepts/sprites comming soon!)
You know, i drew somthing almost like that exept with his hand up with the peace sign

Sonic's finished, now I have to work on his animation:
GW190H202.png

Well, what do you guys think?

mephiles_the_dark1 said:
Dash looks nice but seems a little too blockish.

Then I guess he'll just have to be high-res (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back