Your thoughts on Fancharacters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...Shrike is somewhat a recolor of knuckles...

hm.

I'm intending to make shrike into a completely original character,
based upon his appearance as an echidna.
He is quite simply just another character in sonic's world,
living peacefully in the city.
He has no real special abilities. He is extremely agile, has the same speed as sonic, and can climb walls. He also has knuckles's strength, but he has a disease that makes water burn him. So he can't be in water.
He carries a set of disks on him, which he throws as weapons.
When I finally get around to making a wad of him, his disks will be
his ringsling item.

scan0006.jpg

This is a sketch my best friend did for me of my character. ^^

As far as fancharacters go, my opinions on them vary. Some are really original and likeable, others just outright suck, due to lack of effort on the creator's part. They aren't always bad, but the majority are. I say that people who are going to make fancharacters better damn well make sure that the characters have some hint of originality to them. >>

I was going to lock it, but I decided to change the topic title to what its original intention was.

Stop posting your individual fancharacters. This topic is about your opinions of fancharacters.

Well, so long as they're original, sure.

Jellybones is a good example. I personally don't like it, but it has credit for not being a generic 508th Hedgehog. Original animal is the main point to a good fanchar, IMO.

If you want, say, a Fox fanchar, instead of basing it off Tails, make it more realistic, yet still cartoonish. EG: long snout, "C" eyes, taller, pointed ears, etc.

That's what I think at any rate. I may expand on it later.

JetTheHawk said:
Jellybones is a good example. I personally don't like it, but it has credit for not being a generic 508th Hedgehog. Original animal is the main point to a good fanchar, IMO.

Jellybones is NOT a fancharacter. He's his own character, and he's got nothing to do with Sonic.

Depending on the character they can be good or bad.

Good Example:
ItsSenya.png

Bad Example:
smscharvd0.png

Now you may think, hey wait a minute, Senku's just posting one of his characters and calling it good because it belongs to him. Well, Senya may be my character but she CAN fit a good example, looks of course aren't what always make a character a character, it only enhances it, personality is what really brings out a character, and their aptitudes and such. Like a for Senya, she's a good swimmer, she's a bit on the overly happy and slightly hyperactive side, she will even try to look after her brother when he's in trouble. This makes a decent character, although looks could be slightly better. As for SMS, lets see, like Senya he resembles Sonic a lot, and his aptitudes are pretty much, "I'm the best at everything." That there makes a bad fan character. I wish I had another example of a good character other than my characters but I don't really know many good ones, plus mine aren't exactly the greatest either.

I like original fancharacters. Oh and Jellybones, he is a fan character. 'Cause he's a character, made by a fan. Now then, I was going to put up my fanchar but, yeah, he's that original in style, but he's quite balanced and has a very different personality, like mine. And there isn't that many fanchars that have a crush on a main one, so yeah.
I'm rambling aren't I?
Damn it. I just wanted to know if my fancharacter is original and I just ramble. *sigh* I don't think I'll bother, if there's a topic of posting original fancharacters, I won't put it up.

Also, Senku, it doesn't really matter that you posted up Senya. You're making a good point.

Violo said:
I like original fancharacters. Oh and Jellybones, he is a fan character. 'Cause he's a character, made by a fan.

rrrrrrRRRrr.... He isn't a fan character. No one but me can decide that, because I made him. Ok, he's a character, made by a fan? I'm a fan of sonic, but that doesn't mean he's my sonic fancharacter. He is just a character I made up for my own stories.

Fyrus said:
I can sum up my thoughts on FC's in one word:

No.

That's evil,fan characters can be original.
I know a lot of hatred has been going around since all they see is recolors...but

Autosaver said:
Fyrus said:

No.

I know a lot of hatred has been going around since all they see is recolors...but

Were you gonna finish that thought?

Fancharacters can be original, but at least 90% of the time they are unoriginal, and boring recolors. I could google "Fancharacters" and all I would get is recolored screen caps from Sonic X or something.

Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:
Fyrus said:

No.

Fancharacters can be original, but at least 90% of the time they are unoriginal, and boring recolors. I could google "Fancharacters" and all I would get is recolored screen caps from Sonic X or something.

Yeah but not all of them are like that.
You got to admit..some are really cool.(NOT THE RECOLORS!)

Jellybones69 said:
Autosaver said:
Fyrus said:

No.

The exact opposite of what I do.
I hate it when fans will go out of their way to edit a scene from Sonic X and make a fancharacter. That's not just unoriginal... It's lazy.
But another thing I notice about FCs is that most have spiky hair like Sonic.... Yet I've never seen a single Sonic character or FC with a 'fro. Where's the love for 'fros?

When you ask me to identify a truly original character, I try to be loose, yet lenient. For example, a red Sonic or a pink Tails doesn't cut it. A penguin with purple fur and black Emperor penguin hairstyle? Now, that sounds original. Same goes for a moose with a mullet. (Hm... There has never been a moose in the Sonic series.... I think I just got an idea.)

About the parentheses: I'm on a mission to explore new boundaries for character species in Sonic. So far I've got Rocky the Mole and Slip the Slider (a penguin, obviously.) Same goes for storylines. I'm trying to explore some new boundaries and try to convince fans of a better, "That is good." Unluckily, I can't convince them to let elements from the Sonic cartoons touch the game series, so I'm not sure how I'll convince them on anything else.

The exact opposite of what I do.
I hate it when fans will go out of their way to edit a scene from Sonic X and make a fancharacter. That's not just unoriginal... It's lazy.

Although I've seen a really good edit of a Sonic X scene where they put Silver in instead of Sonic. But that's just me. Wait, Wait, I think I know where a reallu, really good custom scene of Sonic X is based on '06. Give me a sec. The person wh made this is an expert at making Sonic X images.
http://aamypink.deviantart.com/art/StH-06-Screen-104605608
Now then, fancharacters come in different varities. Some are when people put very little effort into them, there are some which they put a lot of effort in but it still looks like one or more of the main characters, while there are just some people who take too much time or are freakishly good at making completely orginal characters.
I think I fall somewhere between the middle an high group.

Okay, in my opinion, some FC's/OC's are original. For example, a
bad FC:
silvonashadthehedgefoxchidna.png

Silvonashad the Hedgefoxchidna.
Reasons why it sucks:
*A stupid fusion.
*unoriginal name.
*Pretty much a recolor.

now as for a GOOD OC, look at Jelly, he's original, reasons:

*He is not related to sonic, or sonic character.
*He's not a furry.
*He's original.

I hope this clears up in a certain way. :/

Shiruba said:
So it IS ok to post FC's as long as long as there original?

No, because this topic is about the discussion of fan characters and what you think about them, not a topic to post them in. It would be off-topic.

EDIT: Yey People like Jelly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back