Your thoughts on Fancharacters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, another question, is it ok to just tell about your FC? I know the topic isn't about posting FC pics, but I just wanna post a little bit about my FC.

As late a retort this is:

Jellybones69 said:
Jellybones is NOT a fancharacter. He's his own character, and he's got nothing to do with Sonic.

This is what I mean when I said it was original. It's not a dig, it's a compliment.

[quote="GREG THE CAT"I've never seen a single Sonic character or FC with a 'fro. Where's the love for 'fros?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Bobobo killed it. Not that I despised it, I love the manga.

Senku Niola said:
Depending on the character they can be good or bad.

Good Example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Senku/Drawings/Senya/ItsSenya.png
Bad Example:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3760/smscharvd0.png

Now you may think, hey wait a minute, Senku's just posting one of his characters and calling it good because it belongs to him. Well, Senya may be my character but she CAN fit a good example, looks of course aren't what always make a character a character, it only enhances it, personality is what really brings out a character, and their aptitudes and such. Like a for Senya, she's a good swimmer, she's a bit on the overly happy and slightly hyperactive side, she will even try to look after her brother when he's in trouble. This makes a decent character, although looks could be slightly better. As for SMS, lets see, like Senya he resembles Sonic a lot, and his aptitudes are pretty much, "I'm the best at everything." That there makes a bad fan character. I wish I had another example of a good character other than my characters but I don't really know many good ones, plus mine aren't exactly the greatest either.

There's a couple problems with your character.

1. Your character is a hedgehog. Reasonably, the world of Sonic the Hedgehog isn't made up mostly of hedgehogs, foxes, and echidnas. We already have four hedgehogs in Sonic's canon cast, and so to add another one is a bit ridiculous.

2. Your character is static. From your description of Senya, she experiences no character development and is basically a stock character to keep whatever story rolling. Look at Sonic Adventure 1's plot, especially Knuckles and E-102 Gamma; they're not the same from beginning to end, and for good reason (actually, I think the only two playable characters that don't experience any sort of development are Sonic and Big). Gamma may not be the most fun to play as, but as a character in a story, E-102 is one of the best characters SEGA has come up with in the Sonic franchise. A good-sized fanfiction could be written on Gamma's thoughts during his quest in SA1.

I could mention all of my thoughts of what makes a good fan character, but do so, I would rather take time in solidifying a philosophy on the necessary traits of a character. Perhaps I'll do so in my wiki sandbox some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back