Which level do you like/hate the most in SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really not, though. The early stages of the game are easy and do not contain large amounts of platforming, but I assure you if you get reasonably far into the game it'll be pretty clear that SRB2 is a 3D platformer.

What SRB2 doesn't do is act like Sonic Adventure. You're placed into a 3D area and you're expected to figure out where to go and what to do on your own. SRB2 doesn't do a lot of the annoying hand-holding modern platformers do, and there is a reason there is no tutorial. You're expected to just try stuff and figure it out. If you have a question, there's always the manual.

Well, I can appreciate finding your way, I don't mind it, I think others might mind a little more than I do...

I think maybe just something that tells you which keys do what by default, and maybe something that tells you how to pause, it's kind of freaky pressing all the keys and seeing when you get a reaction.

I don't know if I'm the only dummy that couldn't figure out how to pause but I definitely don't play alot of computer games where apparently it's common for esc to bring up menus and stuff...

Well, actually, Escape isn't the real pause key. If you look on your keyboard, you'll notice a key you've probably never pressed that says "Pause/Break". That's it.

Considering SRB2's controls are configurable, I don't really see a need to explain them in-game.

I'd like to note that our goal here isn't to provide a game that everyone will like. It's to provide a game that is similar in design to the classic Sonic games in 3D, and classic Sonic never sat down and explained anything at all in-game, it just expected you to figure it out. With the exception of the infernal barrel from Carnival Night, they did just fine.

Just to add on to Mystic's points, I've always learned best about the levels' layouts, hazards, ect., as well as how best to employ SRB2's movesets, by generally fooling about in the levels and gradually finding everything out by myself. Of course, that necessitates getting lost at times, but luckily no level is so wide and branching that it becomes a pain to navigate.

Make the levels too simple or easy to navigate, and you lose a lot of the exploration and discovery that's a a huge part of SRB2's appeal.

Because they hit the goal, maybe I didn't want to finish the level. maybe I wanted to explore it with friends, or maybe I wanted to do it as a group. Sonic doesn't run ahead of Tails and Knuckles in his stories, they usually go places together, unless their stories have them elsewhere, so why should one person be allowed to speed ahead and leave the others who are trying to do things as a team behind? I wish there was some thing with co-op where everyone had to be at the exit (unless someone died) for the level to end, that's fair.
That exists and is called "playersforexit all". Whoever hosts a coop server without that should be ignored anyway.

How DO you play fair in match? We aren't talking about cpu generated enemies, players have minds of their own, and that usually means everyone's going to be looking for a way to pull a dick move on another player.
That's the point. It's a competition. Everyone has the same chances, but if you have more skill, you're obviously going to win. That's as fair as it can get.

One time a Tails player dropped me off a ledge...
That's not possible. Players can't push others as far as I know.

And Autosaver, we've been through that a million times now in this very thread. GFZ1 has to be short, simple and easy, no matter how boring it is for you. I do agree that the visuals could be vastly improved though.

Well, actually, Escape isn't the real pause key. If you look on your keyboard, you'll notice a key you've probably never pressed that says "Pause/Break". That's it.

Considering SRB2's controls are configurable, I don't really see a need to explain them in-game.

I'd like to note that our goal here isn't to provide a game that everyone will like. It's to provide a game that is similar in design to the classic Sonic games in 3D, and classic Sonic never sat down and explained anything at all in-game, it just expected you to figure it out. With the exception of the infernal barrel from Carnival Night, they did just fine.

Except the classic Sonics were played on a Genesis, with a controller with what? 12 buttons?

And obviously the control pad with directional arrows is how you steer, like on the computer (I'm not sure since I configured my SRB2 controls 5 times already but I think the arrow keys were steering) but a computer has no 'jump' button, pretty much all the buttons on the right side of the Genesis were jump, you figured out the rest, but that wasn't hard, as soon as someone would hit down when running (which is how I figured it out anyway, I think) they'd see Sonic / Tails / Knux roll, they might get curious and figure out how to spindash, and as soon as someone pressed jump twice on Sonic 3 they might figure out how to fly as Tails or something.

If this were on a console with a controller that has few buttons and is so obvious to figure out what some of the buttons do it might as well have flashing arrows pointing to it, I'd agree and not have a problem with it, but this game's for computer.

Computer games are vastly more confusing just because most people play them on a keyboard that has too many keys to count, obviously if you're typing it's not hard to figure out what does what, but it's a bit different in a game.

With a controller, you have literally every button at your disposal with a shift of the thumb, so obviously it's not as confounding to figure out what does what, and no Sonic game (official, anyway) that wasn't a port played on the computer, and don't get me wrong, I do love this game's appreciation for the classics, but the first time I played and realized I had no idea what keys did what I sorely wished for a controller (I don't think PS3 controllers will work on my machine...) and just tapped buttons in order, which I've never done before because there's keys on here I've never used and I was afraid of breaking something.

I don't think it should be considered hand-holding to at least tell someone how to configure their keys, why is that hand-holding? I've played more mature games that have a pop-up at the start that tells you more than that.

Actually I think there are some games that badly need something like a key guide. *eyes Garry's Mod with bitter distaste*

I think he meant a Tails player let go of him while he was being carried.

she* and yes... >.>

That exists and is called "playersforexit all". Whoever hosts a coop server without that should be ignored anyway.

Thanks, and why can't this be default?

That's the point. It's a competition. Everyone has the same chances, but if you have more skill, you're obviously going to win. That's as fair as it can get.

That's why I don't play Match and why I hate it. Do you understand now?

Last edited:
Your opinion of match seems flawed. I remember when I first started playing I was killed, a lot. Now, I'm actually good because I asked around for controls and learned to use them well. To me, it sounds like you're just saying "I am bad at this so it is automatically terrible."

One note of the actual topic, my favorite level is Arid Canyon Zone. It is an amazingly large level to explore, it gives it's theme well and has a nice way of introducing its gimmick early in the level with little threat.

My least favorite level is is Techno Hills Zone 2. I have never found this level particularly interesting. The method of getting Sonic's emblem is neat, but that's about all I have to say about this level. The laser caught me off guard as well my first time playing it, but that's only because I didn't know what the whirring sound was.

That's exactly what I think. It's actually really good, apart from the fact that the Deton path is too long (thanks to that ultra-slow elevator).

Your opinion of match seems flawed. I remember when I first started playing I was killed, a lot. Now, I'm actually good because I asked around for controls and learned to use them well. To me, it sounds like you're just saying "I am bad at this so it is automatically terrible."

It's not worth getting good at to me, why does every freakiing person on this forum want me to become a pro at something I see no point in whatsoever even entering just because they think my opinion of it comes from me not liking something I suck at? I suck at it because I never do it, I never do it because I THINK IT'S POINTLESS.

Big, bold letters, does this mean anything at all? I think MATCH IS POINTLESS. MATCH IS POINTLESS TO ME. ALL YOU DO IS FIGHT. IT'S POINTLESS.

People can not like something because they think it's BORING or FRUSTRATING or maybe they just want something out of online play that fighting doesn't GET THEM, like a decent social experience, or a positive atmosphere, fighting is most certainly NOT a positive atmosphere, it's filled with negative feelings no matter HOW good at it you are, maybe you like it when you're awesome and everyone runs from you or hides from you or always wants to snipe you or hassles you but I DON'T. I don't like the pressure, I don't like the rush, I just don't like it! As hard as this is for people to believe, people can NOT like the rush they get from being scared out of their fucking minds or pissed to the point of slamming their keyboard into their monitor, some people DO NOT LIKE THAT. I like a FRIENDLY online experience, is this so hard to believe that everyone assumes someone who has no fun in competition only has no fun because they suck at it?!

If I was GOOD at match I wouldn't like it. It's just pointless violence to me.

*huff*
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
On-topic (kind of) I've never personally liked Techno Hill 2, I thought it was boring, it's got a bit of exploration value but it feels a little conjested to me, I guess that's the feeling it's supposed to have but there's a few places that do feel kind of lacking any purpose, I think it needs more paths, but I'm not sure, I don't play it often.

edit: Is it just me, or does it seem weird that there is some music missing from the game?

My opinion is formulated more around I like every level more than THZ2 rather than I hate THZ2 more than everything else. There isn't an official SRB2 stage I really dislike. If I was viewing purely as a stage I would have said GFZ1, but even for a tutorial level, I spent quite some time in it my first time playing. Same with GFZ2.
THZ2 was a good level, but I never felt attracted to it. I prefer more open levels, hence why I like ACZ.

Gale, there is a difference between fighting and playing an online game. No one is expecting you to be a pro. Maybe if you played with people on your level you'd have more fun. You make it seem like in match everyone is mad at everyone else. It's a game. I'm not saying you have to like it. Also, the whole game is pointless when you get right down to it. Saying your points in large letters doesn't make you right. It just means you know how to change font size on the forum.

My opinion is formulated more around I like every level more than THZ2 rather than I hate THZ2 more than everything else. There isn't an official SRB2 stage I really dislike. If I was viewing purely as a stage I would have said GFZ1, but even for a tutorial level, I spent quite some time in it my first time playing. Same with GFZ2.
THZ2 was a good level, but I never felt attracted to it. I prefer more open levels, hence why I like ACZ.

I actually like the first two levels more than the second because of this, the second level doesn't have much to it that I find appealing since it's pretty straightforward, you might as well make the slime water and switch it and the first level, then make the first level's water slime.

Actually, don't do that, I like the first level, it's pretty... But there's probably no level in SRB2 that's more linear than Techno Hill...

Gale, there is a difference between fighting and playing an online game. No one is expecting you to be a pro. Maybe if you played with people on your level you'd have more fun. You make it seem like in match everyone is mad at everyone else. It's a game. I'm not saying you have to like it. Also, the whole game is pointless when you get right down to it. Saying your points in large letters doesn't make you right. It just means you know how to change font size on the forum.

I didn't say it made me right, I did that so you would understand what I think of Match, because obviously, the four or five other posts weren't convincing enough for you, so I tried to be as direct as I possibly could, you like it, fine, I don't, I don't give a swatbot's wagers who's right, what I do care about is when people tell me my opinion of something is flawed because they assume I don't like it because I suck at it.

I don't get anything remotely close to enjoyment out of it, I get more enjoyment from playing with other people... So I think match is pointless, hence the words I THINK, it means -I- think it is, and nothing will change that. Especially not someone telling me I will like it more if I didn't suck at it, which is bull.

I have changed my ideas of favourite levels having played through the game again.
My least favourite is probably CEZ2 simply because it feels it could have more in it, or possibly ERZ1 because it's filled with cheap death scenes that irritate me a little, although I do like the gravity switching.

My favourite is without a doubt Red Volcano Zone because it's pretty much flawless and REALLY fun to play.

I'm one of those really optimistic people who likes all the levels. I really can't think of any map that i hate. I also love water levels.

Is there something wrong with me?

I'm one of those really optimistic people who likes all the levels. I really can't think of any map that i hate. I also love water levels.

Is there something wrong with me?

Nope. Optimism is a good thing! It might help to pay attention to the little details when you're playing (but only if you plan on making a map yourself).

tl;dr rant on controls
"Options" will immediately default select you on "Setup Controls...", which is an options menu that lets you set the keys to whatever you want. It's also defaulted to have keys that would be recognizable to most players.

Maybe it's not natural for you, but it worked fine for everyone else. I don't see a reason to change things for one person.

Nope. Optimism is a good thing! It might help to pay attention to the little details when you're playing (but only if you plan on making a map yourself).

Optimism is a good thing...it can be removed if you hang around a lot of pessimists, though. Plus, I looked at your avatar tag-name thing. I was bad at the game too when I first started, then I discovered analog control and a logitech controller...bliss. 'Course, the controller was probably just my preference.

On the topic here, I think that my favorite level is...Arid Canyon Zone. I like the largeness (wow, Firefox didn't flag me on that one?), the music is absolutely phenomenal and Sonic's emblem has a special place in my heart...much like his emblem in JCZ1 in Mystic Realm. Than again, I also really like ERZ2. It gives me a great rush because of the challenge that it poses and it houses my favorite track in the game...yes, I like the cheesy guitar :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back