What is everyone working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my Sun FOF! 5 dozen interlocking sloped FOFs :D pheeew!

wCZXU.png

Over the past few days I've been doing quite a lot of world and character building for a story I'm writing. Hopefully over the next few days I will have made enough progress so I have something to show for it.

I've been designing a positively enormous game for six months. It's basically a Mario-style platformer with open connections between levels, sort of like the original Metroid. When it's done, there'll be 9 worlds, each containing from 20-40 levels, each level containing several minutes of gameplay. Plus it contains 100% original resources...graphics, music, sounds, and mechanics are all homemade.

Think I've bitten off more than I can chew? Not really...I'm already about halfway done with World 7. But the lessons of Tortured Planet have been learned...I'm not rushing anything here.

I have tentative plans to market the game through Desura or Steam, or both.

Sorry, but a single person can not make a platformer with what you describe as over a dozen hours of gameplay in six months if it's supposed to have any kind of decent quality.

i've been designing a positively enormous game for six months.

I'm already about halfway done with world 7. But the lessons of tortured planet have been learned...i'm not rushing anything here.

does not compute

Also, custom music, you mentioned that before. I want to hear it!

Sorry, but a single person can not make a platformer with what you describe as over a dozen hours of gameplay in six months if it's supposed to have any kind of decent quality.
At least not without devoting a very significant percentage of one's time to the project every day. Which I am. I think you'd be surprised.

My connections at school frequently put me in a position to show off the game to others, some of whom are professional game designers. So far I haven't gotten any criticism other than minor nitpicks...but to be fair, only a very few people have spent an enormous amount of time looking at it.

At least not without devoting a very significant percentage of one's time to the project every day.
Not even then. The level design may be rock solid, but you would be the first person to my knowledge to keep a platforming game interesting over such a long timespan and avoid excessive repetition.

I've been designing a positively enormous game for six months. It's basically a Mario-style platformer with open connections between levels, sort of like the original Metroid. When it's done, there'll be 9 worlds, each containing from 20-40 levels, each level containing several minutes of gameplay. Plus it contains 100% original resources...graphics, music, sounds, and mechanics are all homemade.

Think I've bitten off more than I can chew? Not really...I'm already about halfway done with World 7. But the lessons of Tortured Planet have been learned...I'm not rushing anything here.

I just don't know HOW can you have the time to make, in six months, a full SRB2 game. If you're working on it in your game designer center, then it's more logic and easy to understand, but anyway, this means you should at least use 40-50% of each day to work on this project, because making levels take time, a lot of time... on my side, I count the delay to make a full SRB2 game in years, not in months. (Also, I have school/homeworks which take at least 8 hours each day)

Oh, and also, your forgot to precise if it's a 2D or 3D Mario game - your answer can maybe have a link with the delay of making a game.

EDIT : I thought this topic was only for SRB2 projects... if it's not in SRB2, then it must probably a 2D game, and in that case, it's pretty possible to make it ; however if it's in 3D, like Rei said, building it should look like to SRB2's level building.

Last edited:
More importantly... FFF, is your game gonna be singleplayer or will it have 2 player on same computer compability, or something? :P
Can't wait to see how it looks.

It's not in SRB2.

I think IE was referring to Fawfulfan making a game similar to SRB2 in size in only six months.

Anywho, currently I've been working on a small children's e-book, although for one of my classes. It's coming along well but it still needs some refining.

When I have the time to do it, I typically work on 3D models. At the moment I'm making a MLP Gilda model for a fangame, but I also am working on a model of one of my original characters, and I plan to revamp my Spike model sometime.
*sees Gilda model* If certain people from facepunch see that, you're going to get requests for that model to be ported to Gmod. Your Gilda model is the first accurate model of her I've seen.

*sees Gilda model* If certain people from facepunch see that, you're going to get requests for that model to be ported to Gmod. Your Gilda model is the first accurate model of her I've seen.
I've gotten requests for Spike too, I even talked to some Facepunch guys about it, but I need to revamp him first.

Since you made that post an hour ago I assume you've seen my latest progress, but for those who haven't:

Capture-37.png

Finished? As in, the game is entirely finished?

Anyways, I gotta give you some crits. The animations of Pandasaurus himself are dreadful. The jumping is very statue-like, and the attacks are quite odd. I can't even tell what Pandasaurus is doing. I'm gonna guess one of them is a roar, but what is the other? Some sort of laser? Why a laser? Also, the lighting looks strange. Everything is super shiny, as if it's all wet. And is there really nothing to let you know you're getting hurt besides your hp bar? I'm gonna assume most of this is unfinished, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back